RMweb

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

I understand it's all part of the rivalry RD and, as mentioned, I wasn't offended. I did notice your absence from here for a while after last May and can understand why. Of course, absolutely the last team I'd like to take any major honours would be Man United, although I have to say that - for reasons to do with arrogance, most recently being the presence of Mourinho and Ronaldo - I've increasingly loathed Real Madrid to a similar level. Last weekend fell into place perfectly for my team and I was, indeed, highly delighted. Last night went the other way but it didn't bother me too much that United had already progressed as it means a busier schedule for you guys.

I also agree with you to a certain extent that about luck in the Champions League and that, on paper, Chelsea were not good enough to win it but they did the right things at the right time and got away with it. It wasn't a great spectacle or a particularly good advert for football but it brought the cup home and I guess that's what it's all about these days. I sincerely hope your lot don't manage the same feat and I don't think you will. :no: However, being a City supporter, I also have these dreaded little thoughts that it could all go horribly wrong. :O

My absence from this thread has been explained a while ago, it's possibly not the best place for me, as I'm afraid I possibly don't fit in with the 'nicey nicey' posting style within it, so I try and keep out of it whilst still reading it, however I've found myself being dragged back in a little recently, time to bow out again for a little while.

…I'm afraid I possibly don't fit in with the 'nicey nicey' posting style… time to bow out again for a little while.

Well it's shame to lose anyone from any forum because they feel they don't fit in. Isn't there a common ground? I think we just have to live with the fact that our written words can be interpreted wrongly far more easily than chatting face to face. There's no reason not to have good, robust debate as long as it doesn't get out of hand… and it's no different to anywhere else on RMweb.

Going back to West Ham v Stoke, it's not new. When we played at the Britannia two seasons ago, there were blatant fouls for both Stoke goals.

For the first, Jon Walters blocked off Matt Upson, much as Charlie Adam did on Monday, to give Huth a free header.

For the second, West Ham had a defensive wall lined up, and from behind the wall Huth grabbed Hitzlsperger around the waist, pulled him out of the wall and left a massive gap for Higginbotham to shoot through.

It's like all the holding and blocking that goes on at corners now, it's almost never blown for.

• RMweb Gold
as I'm afraid I possibly don't fit in with the 'nicey nicey' posting style within it

If by nicey nicey you mean posts that aren't completely one eyed and partisan then thank goodness for that.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Good piece from the ever reliable Barney Ronay in The Guardian:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2012/nov/22/rafa-benitez-chelsea-manager

Loved the comment:

"And naturally there are plenty even among Chelsea's supporters already suffering from unveiling-fatigue, the temptation to equate these occasions with the wheeling out of the latest puppet prime minster by some banana republic despot. Yes. We have absolute faith in Governor Benítez. No. Governor Benítez can't talk right now. Governor Benítez is asleep in his wooden crate."

Priceless!

David

• Like 2

Steve K can you please come on here and predict Benitez being our next manager. I'd rather have your namesake!

Oops, sorry- I've come back a bit late!

Still, what can you do, other than try to support whoever's in charge of your team?

Rafa is the Blues manager - FACT (as he might say).

Carlsberg obviously do do Wednesday nights

FSW appointed Chelsea Manager and City out of the Champions league (possibly Europa league too, they need a result at Dortmund now, not easy)

I might be asking for trouble here, but I honestly don't know what FSW stands for. Can anyone help? Heaven forbid you're being rude about Chelsea's manager!

Can we have Sparky, please ?

Part exchange with W-rn-ck ?

You would be better off getting the Lincoln City manager than Sparky, just look at their run of results on a shoestring budget.As for Warnock, his record speaks for its self. In the Championship he is a class act.

If its true we have got Harry Redknapp then I hope we will survive,but I am not convinced even he will get success out of this Squad. May be a promise of Loads of money for January shopping spree,but then Harry won't know how much hes got to spend unless they train him to use a Calculator. :jester:

Funny situation though for Mark Bowen and Eddie (i cant spell his name). Go to Old Trafford in charge tomorrow and then get sacked next week ?

• Like 1

Can we have Sparky, please ?

Part exchange with W-rn-ck ?

:O That's just asking for trouble… even with a pantechnicon fully-loaded with gold bullion and driven to his home personally by Man City's owner, he managed to win only the SFA cup. He might as well have filled the team with outcasts from the local donkey sanctuary! Come to think of it…

Edited by Mucky Duck
  • Like 1

You would be better off getting the Lincoln City manager than Sparky, just look at their run of results on a shoestring budget.As for Warnock, his record speaks for its self. In the Championship he is a class act.

Ah yes, my Third Team, Lincoln City. In the long ago, they were always being promoted, usually Div 4 to Div 3. Once they were a Second Division team, long before I first went to Sincil Bank in, err, 1960ish. My Dad could still be heard playing the organ for the Newman's Organs advert, long after he died in 1973 !

• RMweb Gold

If its true we have got Harry Redknapp then I hope we will survive,but I am not convinced even he will get success out of this Squad.

I think it's absolutely brilliant that 'Arry is coming back into the PL and I'm sure he will make a massive difference to the R's I love the way he talks about the game, and the way his teams play. A real likeable rogue. I have a sneaking suspicion he played a part in Sparky's sacking - the "Ukraine job" was clearly a red herring designed to let them know that if they wanted him they should come and get him straight away. 'Arry was previously quoted as saying in effect he wouldn't consider any job he couldn't commute to from home on the south coast.

He will certainly need to clear out some of the dross Sparky bought - 19 in 2 transfer windows. I bet some of them never got a game in the first team under him.

Loved the comments from Fergie today about Benitez, pointing out he's a lucky manager who arrived at Inter just in time to win the World Club Championship on the back of The Special One, and how he could end up with another title on his CV in a couple of weeks time without having any input into building the successful team. "Glad he's got a job, he's been trying for long enough" Classis Fergie!!!! I wish CFC had 'Arry, but then he's a manager who can pick and choose so why would he come to the mad end of West London?

• Like 1

I might be asking for trouble here, but I honestly don't know what FSW stands for. Can anyone help? Heaven forbid you're being rude about Chelsea's manager!

'Fraid so FSW is the anancronym, the gist of it being 'Corpulent hispanic camerero'

In other news today, why have they erected a statue of Mark McManus outside Old Trafford? :scratchhead:

post-7067-0-00106900-1353702489.jpg

Edited by Red Devil

apparently Sir Alex Ferguson was looking around for his holidays in a travel agents tuther day when the agent told him that " you cant beat the canaries at the moment" he turned a dark shade of purple and stormed out .

:nono: :nono:

Youy been on the OAFC site again? It's not good for you!

• Like 1

Colin be careful what you wish for in good old 'arry. Apart from Spurs where Levy had very tight control of the purse strings, Bagpuss has left a trail of financial destruction in his wake. This smacks of one last big payoff for him and his agent son Mark. I can see them both doing another "Portsmouth" on Fernandes, then running away just before relegation.

With that Fergie statue, I bet there are a lot of Liverpool supporters hoping to come back in their next life as a Salford pigeon.

Edited by AndrewC
  • Like 1

Why didn't QPR poach AVB ? Come on, i;m desperate to get rid of him and we could have had 'Arry' back. Good luck Arry.

We would be better off getting the Lincoln City manager than AVB, just look at their run of results on a shoestring budget. As far as I am concerned AVB has no man management skills whatsoever, his ideas for the Premiership seem way off track to me and come to think of it I would sooner have Sir Alex Ferguson's wife as our manager than him. I reckon she knows the game better after listening to Sir Alex Ferguson all these years. :no:

• Like 1

We would be better off getting the Lincoln City manager than AVB, just look at their run of results on a shoestring budget. As far as I am concerned AVB has no man management skills whatsoever, his ideas for the Premiership seem way off track to me and come to think of it I would sooner have Sir Alex Ferguson's wife as our manager than him. I reckon she knows the game better after listening to Sir Alex Ferguson all these years. :no:

Couldn't agree more. But i also blame that famous gooner - Levy. I'm sure he wants to bring failure to the club. I had the chance of a ticket for todays game against the 'ammers. Sent the son instead ( i'm a cruel parent ) as i just can't get enthusiastic at the moment.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Sent the son instead ( i'm a cruel parent ) as i just can't get enthusiastic at the moment.

Bet he enjoyed it!!

If you really want social services called in you could have sent him to the Bridge

Bloomin dreadful performance, apart from the crowd who made it perfectly clear to Abramovich what we all think of his managerial appointment. FSW has made an instant impact by making the three amigos look like the three stooges, and upsetting Lamps and Ashley Cole by saying they have no future at the club.

Funny, he's also turned me against Torres. I have (along with most Chelsea fans) been incredibly patient with FT. To see him today, slow, slopey shouldered, sulking and lazy and suspecting that FSW was brought in to get the best out of him, I just hope they both bu$$er off back to Spain sharpish!

• Like 1