Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

• RMweb Gold

Agree with a lot of what you say David, with a couple of comments. Firstly I seem to recall Benitez coming a cropper a few times at Liverpool by showing insufficient respect to "lower" teams. Everyone knew that there would be a moment when the 'arry effect kicked in at QPR, and I believe we rested too many players. Yes we had plenty of shots but no real guile in opening them up properly.

My second observation is that recent wins have masked the fact that trying to get through the season with only one (misfiring) striker was a recipe for disaster. Those are the times you throw on an extra striker, or even just change the type of attack - something the Manchester clubs have both achieved several times this year to win games like that one. Based on that I am very happy they dot Demba in. You can’t replace the Drog, but if you have the cash you can buy a Ba, apparently

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

My second observation is that recent wins have masked the fact that trying to get through the season with only one (misfiring) striker was a recipe for disaster. Those are the times you throw on an extra striker, or even just change the type of attack - something the Manchester clubs have both achieved several times this year to win games like that one. Based on that I am very happy they dot Demba in. You can’t replace the Drog, but if you have the cash you can buy a Ba, apparently

Problem is Colin that, outside of the Manchester clubs, the following pack are suddenly light on strikers so tend to have to persist with one or two when a bit of rotation would be in order. The sad fact is that, these days, in order to be consistently successful in the Premier league you need two players of equal high standard in each position. A tall order for squads of twenty five when at least three need to be goalkeepers. I think it is no coincidence that the club that comes nearest to this ideal is top of the league. Manchester City, unsurprisingly given their resources, are probably closest and indeed are second in the table. Chelsea could rotate midfielders with the best of them but strikers and defenders are another matter.

The best chance for everyone else is in the cup competitions. The league is all about consistency but in a cup competition you only have to play well in a few games and the deficiencies of the squad need not be such a factor. If you are Arsenal then merely finishing fourth is as good as a cup win. Cue open top bus ride to Islington Town Hall  :no:

• Like 1

Joe Cole comes back to the Irons.

Interesting move, in that Sam has form for picking up flair players who are looking for a last hurrah (Djorkaeff, Hierro). But then again, West Ham's record when it comes to those returning is less than stellar.

As to where Joe will play, I would guess he'd be playing wide-right as cover for, or in rotation with, Vaz Te, unless Sam pulls Nolan back into more of an orthodox midfield role and Joe plays in the hole behind Carlton Cole or Andy Carroll.

• RMweb Gold

Anybody else watching West Ham v MU - keep an eye out when they show a shot of the Beckhams. Theres a blazered security man at the back of the box looks awfully like Sven Goran Errikson - nice to see him back in football :jester:

• RMweb Gold

The ghost is laid to rest. You can put the hat away now.

Never.That was one of the best ever cup finals.Never to be forgotten.Theres no ghost to be laid to rest as you've won it since.We'll never make another final in my lifetime.

Never.That was one of the best ever cup finals.Never to be forgotten.Theres no ghost to be laid to rest as you've won it since.We'll never make another final in my lifetime.

You never know. Footballs a funny old game. Have faith, the big money will run out one day.

• Like 2

In an earlier posting I referred to the condition of the pitch at Bloomfield Road. I have now seen the criteria for pitch condition, and who decides if they are fit for purpose. If there are any referees on here that have had to make these decisions, can you tell us if you have ever called off a game because of the pitch?

Aye

Some years ago - I was due to ref a South-East U-18 cup 1/4 final at Dover twixt a local team and one from SE London . Living at Ashford (Kent) at the time. Early on Sunday AM, KO @ 10. All fine at Ashford, all fine at Dover upon arrival - the first thing I do is look at the pitch before greeting the teams - gives the home side time to correct cock-ups - many's the time there's been no lines marked........

Anyhow between my 1st inspection and getting out onto the pitch changed and ready to warm-up (about 30 mins), it had frozen !!  The surface was like concrete and I had to call it off. To this day I don't quite believe it.

Oh - and Gillingham STILL top of League 2................... :yahoo:

Edited by Southernman46
  • Like 1

There was a story the other day about Sir Geoff Hurst, England World Cup hat-trick hero, looking for film footage of his six goals when West Ham beat Sunderland 8-0.

A copy turned up, and Sir Geoff admitted he'd punched the first one in.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2257176/Sir-Geoff-Hurst-finds-West-Ham-8-0-Sunderland-tape-Twitter.html

Ah, back to the future, ;)

In other, less controversial FA Cup stuff, I was really pleased to see my (now) local side progress to the fourth round, not a bad draw either, Leicester.

Occasionally take a game in at the Galpharm, so was really pleased with their (Huddersfield's) win.

Yes, junior SWMBO bought her Dad tickets for Elland Road on Saturday and chauffeured me. 

Although half the squad are on the sick-list including Neil W who ran the side from his sick-bed, I praise the lads for a spirited performance against a much better side.

However, should we progress, we will meet Spurs who just happen to be junior SWMBO's team........oh boy  :jester:

have been very quiet of late on the goings on at boundary park as we have been to say the least bloody awfull and didnt expect anything from our visit to the city ground

set agaist the background of the whole backroomteam being put on " gardening leave"  most of our midfield being either suspended or injured and a lissfiring front line i expected a battering !

13 mins in and matt smith puts through is own gaol 1- 0 to the trees and we are getting a propre run around second half we a look a bit more in it then comes 7 minuits of pure unadulterated joy as we smash three goals in quick style to lead

even though the trees pull it back to 2-3 in injury time its not enough and we go through

and now its liverpool at home in the fourth round hopefully at a cold wet and windy "ice station zebra"  bring em on!

" oh when the bluuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuues "

• Like 1