The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

1 hour ago, lightengine said:

It's good to see women have reached equality with men and can hopelessly miss penalties. Next, farting under the duvet! 

Thank God for the USA, the BBC had the hype meter set to full on the 6 o'clock news with at least one reference to an event way back in 1966, an England success would have made the rest of the week intolerable for non-English members of the UK

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

48 minutes ago, luckymucklebackit said:

....an England success would have made the rest of the week intolerable for non-English members of the UK

A sentiment shared by this fellow in the Geordie Nation.

S_T (non-England supporter)

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, south_tyne said:

A sentiment shared by this fellow in the Geordie Nation.

S_T (non-England supporter)

Agree . . . Even though a fair contingent of the team hail from twixt Tweed and Tees.

John

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Two_sugars said:

Agree . . . Even though a fair contingent of the team hail from twixt Tweed and Tees.

John

Yes that is a great thing. We would have a cracking Northumbria team wouldn't we if we took in the pre-1974 counties of Durham and Northumberland!

Actually, on that note, the most interesting case could be Lucy Bronze (best right-back in the world), who was born in Berwick and actually spent part of her childhood living on Holy Island (Lindisfarne) if I am not mistaken. Now that's a bit different!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Our men's team would do well to emulate the ladies at the next World Cup. Consecutive semi-finals is no mean feat.

The USA would have analysed ever member of our team to the Nth degree to find the strengths and weakness. It's the way American sports does it, stats, stats and more stats. So not so surprising the keeper went the right way.

I think Alex Scott go it spot on with her after match comments. 

Rob

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, mezzoman253 said:

Our men's team would do well to emulate the ladies at the next World Cup. Consecutive semi-finals is no mean feat.

The USA would have analysed ever member of our team to the Nth degree to find the strengths and weakness. It's the way American sports does it, stats, stats and more stats. So not so surprising the keeper went the right way.

I think Alex Scott go it spot on with her after match comments. 

Rob

Still a shame that she didn't leather it.

Anyhow I thought it was halfway for ladies.

• Agree 1

I see that that archetypal bad-boy Ravel Morrison has pitched at Sheffield Utd on trial. On the face of it, I would think he is the antithesis of what they need and of the kind of culture Chris Wilder has been building at the club. Having said that, if he does knuckle down and realises his undoubted potential, then they would certainly have a talented player on their hands. He could provide the 'x factor' that every newly promoted club requires. Sadly, given this track record I would imagine that would be highly unlikely. 

• RMweb Gold

Hmmm, having just got over the Ched Evans fiasco the last thing we need is a follow up act.

Chris Wilder is no mug, he's got us where we are and will not risk throwing it away by buying the wrong type of player, so hopefully Morrison has grown up a little and might actually realise his undoubted potential. Whether sweating his nuts off in Portugal is a good start is an interesting concept, it might kill or cure him!

Mike.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Hmmm, having just got over the Ched Evans fiasco the last thing we need is a follow up act.

Chris Wilder is no mug, he's got us where we are and will not risk throwing it away by buying the wrong type of player, so hopefully Morrison has grown up a little and might actually realise his undoubted potential. Whether sweating his nuts off in Portugal is a good start is an interesting concept, it might kill or cure him!

Mike.

That's why I was surprised, as Wilder comes across as very savvy. If he does come in on a more permanent basis, let's hope he doesn't rock the boat. 

In other news, it's great to see Peru reach their first Copa America final since 1975! That red-diagonal-stripe shirt is one of the icons of world football! I really hope they beat Brasil in the final, although the odds are massively stacked against them. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Chris Wilder is no mug, he's got us where we are and will not risk throwing it away by buying the wrong type of player...

Well Phil Jagielka seems like a much more appropriate signing. I know he hasn't played much recently and is in the twilight years of his career, but he is natural leader and will bring some top flight nous and experience to the squad. There's the added aspect of it being a homecoming after 12 years away from Bramall Lane. It's the kind of sensible signing you will need, but you will also need to add some attacking flair and creativity over the coming weeks. Scoring goals is key - hopefully Billy Sharp gets a real chance to show he can cut it at that level. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, south_tyne said:

Well Phil Jagielka seems like a much more appropriate signing. I know he hasn't played much recently and is in the twilight years of his career, but he is natural leader and will bring some top flight nous and experience to the squad. There's the added aspect of it being a homecoming after 12 years away from Bramall Lane. It's the kind of sensible signing you will need, but you will also need to add some attacking flair and creativity over the coming weeks. Scoring goals is key - hopefully Billy Sharp gets a real chance to show he can cut it at that level. 

I'm sorry to see Phil Jagielka leave Everton. He has been really good for us. But if he had to go, great to see him go back to Sheffield Utd and help them adjust to the Prem. A rare, nice story in football.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Torper said:

If you've ever complained about the state of the pitch, or the changing facilities (02.48)......

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p075m7fh

Another example of genuine love of the game (and community spirit).

DT

That was just great! I watched the whole thing with a smile on my face. Thank you for posting. 

I don't know why they were going on about the state of the pitch. I've played on much worse - crushed ash or red blaes for a start; at least they have grass. You just have to adjust to the conditions. ;)

• RMweb Premium

I see that Berwick Rangers got their first win for rather a long time today, beating Billingham Synthonia of Northern League Div Two 3-0.  I was intrigued to note that the Billingham club was named after an agricultural fertiliser, Synthonia being a contraction of "synthetic ammonia", a product manufactured by ICI, with which the club was affiliated.  General view among Lowland League followers on the Pie & Bovril forum is that Berwick will finish mid-table this season.

Incidentally, Fifa has apparently recognised Eriskay as one of the eight unique places in the world to play football.  A match played on the field in Eriskay has been filmed for screening in the football governing body's new museum in Zurich which is due to be opened to the public next year.

DT

Edited by Torper
Typo
  • Like 2

Anyone else agree with Neville about the "third place playoff" being a waste of time? I know I do, we aren't competing for Gold, Silver and Bronze like the Olympics, just one thing, the Cup. Any other position other than the Winner is irrelevant, especially "third place"...

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

The effort put into the game by both teams, and the Swedes' elation at winning, would suggest that the players would not agree with him.  Personally, as someone who supports one of the smaller and less successful teams in British football, it us utter nonsense to say that any position other than the winner is irrelevant.

DT

• Agree 1

In a league perhaps but for a cup only winning matters. Reaching the final has sone kudos as well but if you lost in the semis what does it matter. I dont see it as anything but a money grabbing exercise.

• Agree 1

At least one of the sporting events at the Olympics was changed last time to give bronze medals to both losing semi finalists.  About time it was included in every sport whatever the competition.

• Like 1