Michael Portillo’s Second Great Railway Journeys Series

ANT

Generally an enjoyable series but for me is spoilt to some extent by the constant intrusion of background 'music'- particularly everytime Mr Portillo is about to do a voice over it is preceeded by another piece of 'music' starting up. Although not yet to the levels inflicted on the otherwise excellent 'Coast' series which is now unwatchable unless the sound is muted and subtitles activated. Wonder whose decision it is to add this so-called music- the editor, producer, director, production company or BBC and do they really feel that its prescence adds to the programme?

I must say though that I do find Mr Portillo to be an excellent presenter and appears very natural and ease.

I've been recording the series then editing the bits I'm interested in(mainly the railway

parts).

I saw the book of the(second) series in Waterstones. The rrp is £20..

Waterstones want £15 and you can pick it up on Amazon(free delivery) for £10.

Mac.

• RMweb Premium

Did anyone spot the Virgin Thunderbird pulling a steam loco? It was an overhead shot approaching Wrexham I think, a couple a days ago. I'll try and find it on Iplayer again.

Of course it could have been archive footage.

Rob

I found it, Wednesdays episode just before entering Conwy, at 23.55 on Iplayer. On closer inspection its not a steam loco', it's the black roof that fooled me into thinking in was a black steamer.

Should have gone to you know where.:lol:

Rob

I found it, Wednesdays episode just before entering Conwy, at 23.55 on Iplayer. On closer inspection its not a steam loco', it's the black roof that fooled me into thinking in was a black steamer.

Should have gone to you know where.:lol:

Rob

I thought it was a ATW 57 with a Virgin 57 leading, it would certainly make sense.

Anyone know when it was filmed? I was around the Conwy area last summer and am wondering how near I was to seeing Mr Portillo filming!

• RMweb Premium

I must agree with the comments so far, that this is actually quite well filmed and the presentation style is quite relaxed and easy to follow. Am I the only one who gets a bit annoyed with the continuity, though. The S&C was bad last time, and we do seem to get 2 car and 3 car transmogrification, and also 156/158/175 being swopped about - never mind, the livery's the same. But the Snowdon sequences yesterday switched from steam to diesel to steam to diesel, and in some in train sequences, there was exhaust, and in others there was none. Also (and this is not really a quibble but an observation) I see that even though the Ffestiniog and Snowdon railways were featured, their contributions were not acknowledged in the titles, only NR and the mainline TOCs.

I quite like this series (as the last one) but I do wish the program makers would get rid of the first 5 minutes and last 5 minutes of repeating highlights of the current and next episode.

The continuity issues are not a problem for me as I see this series for what its is - nothing much to do with railways or railway history as such and more of a UK travelogue holiday guide showing that Bradshaw's guide is pretty good even today. (how little has changed)

I always wonder how much each of the businesses featured actually paid the BBC for their 5 minute advertising slot. Some seem to make more of an effort (come and buy our cheese) than others. As the series will no doubt be sold to the US and other tourist sources, I'm sure it will go down well - just the right level of come and see Britain ... and you can get around by rail.

My colleague was the Driver of the 365 which Portillo "cabbed" from Downham Market to Kings Lynn. Needless to say that we are giving him a lot of stick about the socks he wore in the program, and the fact that as a Labour supporter, he shook Portillo's hand!

Andy

• RMweb Gold

I always wonder how much each of the businesses featured actually paid the BBC for their 5 minute advertising slot. Some seem to make more of an effort (come and buy our cheese) than others.

Unless BBC editorial guidelines are being massively and seriously ignored then absolutely nothing. If it was proved that any contributor had been given airtime for payment then the series producer would face almost certain dismissal.

Of course, the real skill is in getting the balance right between showing the viewer something of relevant interest (ie production of "real" cheshire cheese the old-fashioned way), reflecting the genuine enthusiasm of the producer and the presenter's reaction, while not seeming to make the item too much of a "puff."

cheers

Ben A.

Did anyone spot the Virgin Thunderbird pulling a steam loco? It was an overhead shot approaching Wrexham I think, a couple a days ago. I'll try and find it on Iplayer again.

Of course it could have been archive footage.

Rob

Maybe something coming or going from to the LLANGOLLEN Railway!

Unless BBC editorial guidelines are being massively and seriously ignored then absolutely nothing. If it was proved that any contributor had been given airtime for payment then the series producer would face almost certain dismissal.

Of course, the real skill is in getting the balance right between showing the viewer something of relevant interest (ie production of "real" cheshire cheese the old-fashioned way), reflecting the genuine enthusiasm of the producer and the presenter's reaction, while not seeming to make the item too much of a "puff."

I guess that, as I'm certainly getting the impression that money (or at least "favours") are changing hands, the producers are failing.

The cheeze example was just plucked from many examples and I wouldn't wish to highlight it above any other. I've thought in the most part the features have been interesting and some of the tourism plugs have certainly worked on me and SWMBO. To the extent that we may one day even venture over the border into Wales once more. :)

Sounds like this series might have been a bit better than the first one from the comments above. I'll have to try and catch it on iplayer. Whilst it's all very interesting, I watched the first series first episode and it was more about eccles cakes rather than the railway in eccles, so gave the rest a miss.

There's still a gap in the market for a UK rail programme to the standard of 'Eisenbahn Romantik' from Germany - I just wish my German was better so I could get more out of it! It'd be great to have a railway programme that's, you know, about railways!

Regards

Richard.

Sounds like this series might have been a bit better than the first one from the comments above. I'll have to try and catch it on iplayer. Whilst it's all very interesting, I watched the first series first episode and it was more about eccles cakes rather than the railway in eccles, so gave the rest a miss.

The point of the programme, as I see it, Richard, is not so much the trains themselves, but more a social snapshot of how the railways changed Britain & British industry. Bradshaw is the link, albeit occasionally a little tenuous, but none the worse for it.

If you've not seen the first series, have another go, & enjoy some of the photography, particularly of trains travelling on some of the best scenery in the UK, such as the Hull-Scarborough line as it follows the cliffs, & also the Settle & Carlisle, which frankly NEVER fails to disappoint :) (Other scenes are available :) )

Mark

Hi Mark,

Yes, I guess that's the main aim, and if creates the idea in a few more peoples heads around the trips they could do by rail, then that's great. It's just that in my view there's still a gap in the market there for a 'proper' rail programme, along the lines of 'eisenbahn romantik'.

Regards

Richard.

• RMweb Premium

The Captains correct. I don't know if its because you can watch instead of the doom and gloom of the Regional News on BBC1 but there is certainly something relaxing about the program. Also Michael Portillo has an easy charm which certainly helps . The programs covering Chester, Llandudno and Snowdon, and then latterly the Whitby program all make me want to get out and visit this year. So I suspect it will be good for the railways encouraging travel.

I know there are continuity errors with various trains appearing from time to time, but who cares, just sit back and wallow in the travelogue!

• RMweb Premium

I know there are continuity errors with various trains appearing from time to time, but who cares, just sit back and wallow in the travelogue!

I was one who got uptight about these errors, but in all honesty, I have put everything into a perspective now. I think that the presentation style and the content are sufficient to over-ride the railway related errors. It is actually quite interesting that I have visited many of the locations that are covered already and it is quite interesting to be able to say "I've been there" when a visited location comes on the screen - eg I really love Ironbridge and its museums, and its history, and try to get there at least every year. If this series also highlights other places that I have not visited, then it will have done its job as far as I'm concerned. I've started to look at it as a travelogue using trains as the means of transport now.

I quite like this series (as the last one) but I do wish the program makers would get rid of the first 5 minutes and last 5 minutes of repeating highlights of the current and next episode.

Spot on. Every episode seems to require a map of the whole weeks journey and excerpts from them all, but dont you find that this is becoming an annoying trend with a number of TV shows these days?

The worst has to be Countryfile which has to show clips of the items that are coming up later in the programme every 5 minutes - and not forgetting that all important weather forecast (well if it was that important why not start the bleeding show with it?)

It is almost as if the producers commute to work on a Reading - Waterloo service and are so used to hearing the endless announcements of all the stops en-route, they assume that everyone lives like this.

Sorry, I am ranting. And dont get me started on Julia (yes I am aren't I? - and NO YOU CAN'T) Bradbury.

Plus points for me;-

Michael Portillo, an excellent and informative presenter with an easy and engaging manner with a genuine interest in railways and their effect on people in a wider sense.

Varied and interesting locations and subject matter.

The general railway thread with some great shots of the railway in the landscape.

At half an hour each, the episodes are just the right length, and the five day journey format seems to be perfect.

Minus points (for me);-

The seemingly endless American style repetitions of "coming up, later in the programme" style sound bytes. AAARRGGHH!!

The poor maps, which if they are to be included, and they should be, could be much better and include more detail.

I don't mind some of the railway related continuity errors as this does not effect the overall viewing pleasure, and I do really enjoy this programme very much.

I've got to add that I too enjoy the Portillo style. It makes a pleasant change to have a presenter with standards - of appearance, grammar, respect for those being interviewed, appears to have done some research of the subject, and a gentlemen to boot! Viewing it in context, the only real gripe I have (apart fom his "train station gaffe") is the annoying repetiveness of the previews, especially as I usually have to play catch-up on a number of programmes one after the other.

• RMweb Premium

It's certainly whetted my appetite to visit some of the places featured in the series, Chester I've never visited, and to go back to Wales, holidays when the kids were little. It's a little gem of a programme, on just after I get home from work, gets me relaxed almost instantly, and there's another weeks worth too, bliss.:rolleyes:

The "coming up in the programme later" syndrome is unfortunately becoming more widespread, but I won't let it spoil a very good programme.

Rob

The "coming up in the programme later" syndrome is unfortunately becoming more widespread, but I won't let it spoil a very good programme.

I'm usually asleep so have it on record.

I have just watched the Sheffield/Melton Mobray episode over breakfast ... another cheese !! you could almost smell them through the screen. I haven't been to either Sheffied or Melton since the 60's and he's sold us on a return trip to see the 'changes'.

Of course there is always the fast forward button to edit out the "repeated bits".

It makes a pleasant change to actually have something worth recording on TV.

• RMweb Gold

Hi folks

Did anyone see the episode on Wednesday 26th?

At about 12' in there was some black and white footage of steam locomotives, and it looked to me that one of the steam locos (the one coming toward the camera) was pulling some Cartic-4 car carriers. Can anyone comment/verify?

The shot was just after Michael Portillo watched a steam special go through the station he was waiting at with a West Coast Class 37 on the back...

cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Premium

I haven't caught too many of this series as SWMBO has the rmote at that time usually. However I watched todays episode and enjoyed it witht he pics of Richborough and inside the Chunnel. Just one thing the pictures of the military train ferries didn't look right. IMHO it would have been better to use the proper pictures of the train ferries which were quite interesting ships to look at.

Jamie

Just one thing the pictures of the military train ferries didn't look right. IMHO it would have been better to use the proper pictures of the train ferries which were quite interesting ships to look at.

Watched this earlier this evening,with some footage of where I live [sandwich] looking quite picturesque in the sunshine... :D

As far as I'm aware there is no film footage of the operations at Richborough,only stills,the footage they showed was of the Dover ferries,and other assorted dockside scenes,including a 'Caley' pug!

I agree that some still photo's of the actual train ferries and their berth at Richborough would have been better,to help illustrate what remains they were looking at and to attempt to convey the true extent of the site and scale of operations..

There were a couple of stills of the Richborough/Stonar-built barges on the slipways at Bloody Point,but this was to well the south of where Portillo was..

Also,he passed through Dover and Folkestone Central,alighted at Folkestone West,and then went back to Samphire Hoe [which is nearer to Dover than Folkestone]to cover the Channel Tunnel before getting back on the train at Folkestone Central,which seemed an odd way of going about things.. :blink:

Archived