Magwatch: Hornby Magazine Issue 43: January 2011

spamcan61

• RMweb Premium

Update: 7 pages: news from Warley etc.

South Junction: 10 pages: Bob Alderman describes the Yeovil Model railway Group’s large EM gauge transition era layout.

Snow Business: 6 pages: James Lavery shows how to make a snow scene using a new Geoscenics product.

Layout in a Loft; 3 pages: Evan Green Hughes outlines how to set about using the loft for a layout; I do wish this kind of article made at least some sort of reference to consulting a builder / structural engineer before adding large amounts of weight to ceiling timbers. No mention of building regs. or many other key points so far as I could see either.

Parkers guide: 4 pages: Phil Parker builds the Parkside bogie brick wagon kit.

Beginners’ guide: 4 pages: Trevor Jones gives an overview of tension lock couplers.

1 page of letters.

Changing Identities: 4 pages: Graham Muspratt outlines some of the processes that can be used to renumber RtR locos.

Billingham: 8 pages: John Parvin describes his NE region N gauge layout set around 1965.

Reviews: 16 pages: Includes “reality check†on the B1, and a detailed haulage analysis of the Hornby L1 by Trevor Jones.

DCC: 4 pages: Paul Chetter adds a DCC smoke unit to a 4MT.

Elm Park: 8 pages: Geoff Endacott tells the history of the Bentley Model Railway group’s late 60s EM gauge SR based layout.

2 pages staff projects

2 pages readers’ projects

Railway realism: 4 pages: Evan Green Hughes details BR’s narrow gauge lines.

I must confess that I don't buy many magazines and haven't actually bought a copy of the Hornby mag' before (and to be honest, only did on this occasion because of the photos of South Junction.Disclaimer: YMRG is my home club) My impressions are very good: what a very tidily produced and presented magazine. Full marks and thanks to Trevor Jones for the excellent job he made of the photography - it really shows up my efforts! - on that piece and to Mike Wild for asking for the piece in the first place. I hope Graham's article encourages more people to do their renumbering, good guidance, well written. I haven't had a chance to read the rest just yet. BAsed on what I've seen thus far, I'll look forward to it.

Adam

Nice review on the Bachmann B1......looks like a cracking model, pity though that Mike Wild missed the fact the con rods were installed upside down! Oh well maybe my version will be correct? :D

Well well. I hadn't noticed that! Wouldn't get very far like that - all the oil would run out :)

You had me rushing to check mine. Thankfully all is ok, the oilers are at the top where they should be.

In truth I'm pretty sure I'd have noticed on my model if it had been wrong...but I still checked anyway!

Regards

Roy

I haven't had a chance to read the rest just yet. BAsed on what I've seen thus far, I'll look forward to it.

Well when you have, a few questions:

1. Is the loco on the South Junction viaduct a Castle or a County? - check the calendar as well;

2. Do trains terminate at Elm Park, or not?

3. Does the Hornby L1 test mention the gearing, at all, maybe?

wink.gif

1. Is the loco on the South Junction viaduct a Castle or a County? - check the calendar as well;

Well let me have a go...

To be honest they were bits I hadn't looked at (I do not model 00 and hve no interest in Southern Region 3rd Rail).

So...

1. Oh dear - schoolboy error (Actually correction..I doubt any schoolboy from that era would ever make such a mistake).

2. Not (Any more?).

3. Umm...only ever so slightly....it only takes up about 2/3 of the text...

:D

1. Is the loco on the South Junction viaduct a Castle or a County? - check the calendar as well

Well let me have a go...

To be honest they were bits I hadn't looked at (I do not model 00 and hve no interest in Southern Region 3rd Rail).

So...

1. Oh dear - schoolboy error (Actually correction..I doubt any schoolboy from that era would ever make such a mistake).

2. Not (Any more?).

3. Umm... only ever so slightly....it only takes up about 2/3 of the text...

:D

Well, all GW 4-6-0s look the same after all. Except the County, which doesn't. Oops. Now I've got that far, the proofing and editorial content does isn't all that impressive, but the glossy, pretty pictures reproduced to a decent size and nicely laid out are.

Can't say that I model in OO either Roy: right scale, wrong gauge... ;)

Adam

Whilst I like this month’s Hornby Magazine and calendar I noticed a strange atmospheric anomaly that has plagued both the magazine and calendar! If you look at the calendar it manifests itself in the cover and following months Jan-March, May, Sept, Oct photos, and in the magazine pages 18, 24, 60, 86, 94,100 - all have the same cloud formations.

I am not a great fan of photo-shopping as I like to see peoples modelling efforts not their editing skills on a PC! Limited photo-shopping to remove small blemishes etc I think is acceptable.

Editing photos is supposed to add realism however in this case it has achieved the opposite uniform weather irrespective of subject matter!

Xerces Fobe

Not a magazine I buy very often, but I was attracted by the 2 EM layouts, which I enjoyed reading about. I also like the look of Billingham - N gauge done very well.

Just one correction, the excellent photo of DP2, is arriving at Leeds Central, not Bradford.

Kevin

• RMweb Premium

I too don't like [photoshopped skys. I always think what Contstables Haywain would look like with a photoshopped sky.

I'm happy with a 'shopped sky blue/grey or suchlike, but once folks start including clouds then the vanishing point and/or lighting conditions often don't match the layout, which looks profoundly odd to me. For the avoidance of doubt that's a general observation, not aimed at HM in particular.

• RMweb Gold

I am not a great fan of photo-shopping as I like to see peoples modelling efforts not their editing skills on a PC! Limited photo-shopping to remove small blemishes etc I think is acceptable.

Xerces Fobe

This topic has been discussed at various occasions both online and the letters pages of magazine. These days the general concensus has been that a simple sky added to a picture rather than no backscene is more acceptable.

I do understand the issue of seeing the same sky shoot used on more than one occassion, this is due to the adding of the sky being added by the magazine photographers not usually the layout modellers themselves. I will raise this Mike Wild when I see him later this month.

• RMweb Gold

Another good thick edition and a great article by that Graham Muz bloke (should have used Brunswick Green on the re-spray though :P )

Brunswhat??

I hope Graham's article encourages more people to do their renumbering, good guidance, well written.

Adam

Thanks for the kind comments guys, I have not had a chance to fully see the final printed artcle yet (other than a glance at a mag at my Model Railway Club) as my own copy has not arrived yet!

Im just about to start the next article too (and no it's not Southern related!)

I am glad that someone else has mentioned the issue of excess Photoshopping because I don't recognise some of the Elm Park photos. Huge tracts of extra grassland have been added which seem to place the layout in the rolling green hills of London! Adding the sky is one thing - but adding bits of layout which don't exist seems to me to be taking several steps too far.

The article itself is only my first draft with bits added by the editor. The first I knew about it appearing in print was the listing on this thread.

The rather odd description of how to convert stock from OO to EM is not mine. It is also wrong.

I think the Bachmann 4CEP is described as "simply irresistible". I didn't write that.

I had hoped to explain the changes which we made to allow through running in rather more depth, but it's a bit late now. Perhaps another magazine might be interested in running the finished article (which is a lot longer). This could then be accompanied by a new set of photos which show Elm Park and not Watership Down!

Geoff Endacott

I too don't like [photoshopped skys. I always think what Contstables Haywain would look like with a photoshopped sky.

But he did use the equivalent in his day.

His landscapes are not real but made up using stock trees and clouds from his note books.

One of the paintings of Dedham Vale has an impossible combination of angle of sun and time of day. Unless the clock was broken of course.

Not bought the mag as it's in one of those infernal sealed plastic bags.

Bernard

Carrying on the theme of photoshopping in this issue of Hornby mag that in the 2 page spread of Hornby's L1 it appears that the L1 has moved south as it looks as if it's in Dorset with Chesil Beach and Portland in the background. One would have hoped for a more complimentary background.

Hello Geoff,

I was glad to notice an article about Elm Park when I glanced at the cover of HM in-passing on Saturday. I still cherish the MRJ article as 'Inspirational' material and on the basis of that recent glance I went looking for references on the 'net' and was very pleased to find a short exhibition video of a Class 33 shunting a van train. Reading the comments above I am disappointed that HM doesn't seem to have done Elm Park true justice. I would be very keen to see the full-length feature article. Can someone out there from Model Rail be persuaded to highlight this cracking piece of modelling!

Please keep developing Elm Park and let us know which exhibitions you're attending in 2011.

Many thanks

Archived