class 501 model 'n' gauge

Any information about what we are trying to look at?

North London Line and Watford suburban DC stock AKA Class 501. Given that they were building additional Merseyrail sliding stock at the same time the 501s were stone age in comparison.

I assume the vehicle started out as a Farish Mk1, otherwise I am not certain why the post is here.

• RMweb Gold

Always pleased to see this sort of less-glamorous stock being modelled - and in N gauge it is especially clever. While the DC (a monicker that probably only arrived after the big blue electrics from oop North arrived in Euston in the mid-60s) was always a busy line, the North London was a bit of a Cinderella, implausibly 4-tracked east of Camden Road, and Broad Street still seeemd haunted by Victorian ghosts. As a Southern person, getting on a 501 at Richmond took you on a a panoramic ride across all the other mainline railways, even if the bars on the windows - required due to narrow tunnels in the Hampstead Heath area, I think? - seemed a bit bizarre. In the mid-80s I think I participated in getting 2-EPBs onto this route - new connections at Richmond were required for the daily trip from Selhurst - but it wasn't long before 313s took over, staying for the next 20 years. These days the NLL is extremely busy, has new trains, new infrastructure, and gets nearly back to Broad Street, closed in the mid-80s.

RMWebber BabyDeltic and chums know a lot more about the old NLL than I do, and have modelled it superbly in 4mm.

BOMAG states our superb 501s were stone age??? I would much rather, ride one of these beauties anyday than a sliding door 313 or newer . Own opinion of course. Thats what happens, when you have grown up with these beauties. Im sorry , this topic is not, in the correct thread, im sure it can be moved?The long gone, 501s will always be the best emu, in my opinion.I

will show more pics as i progress

The 501's had character the motor coaches gave a very hard ride however the overhead luggage , barred windows, non standard MU config, the unique headcodes , destination blinds! and short wheelbase made them stand out from the EPB's south of the river. I lived on the Euston -Watford DC Lines as a child and have many found memories of them especially the unit(s?) with the wrap around yellow ends which looked very strange at first site.

Check out pictures of these units on the web and notice how many travelled around with the guards doors open in one or more of the coaches on a 6-car unit.

My fleet of 501 will end up being 6 3 car units, the Strawberry Hill Beastie and a 2 Car Battery/Electric Class 501 -the original Birkenhead unit that was different from the rest.

Xerces Fobe

my 501's now have wrapped round yellow ends ;)

DSCN9939edtCRWDwb.jpg

Check out the end unit

Full wrap around yellow ends to the cab door at least one unit had this livery and there were 2 with half yellow ends in blue as well. I have one photo of it however it is not mine so I cannot publish it.

Xerces Fobe

Archived