The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For all those who are fed up with the advert.....

shortliner

The snobby Glade ones from earlier this year which ended with "and it's from Glade you know" as if Glade is an internationally renowned label like Rolls Royce!

I find those Glade ads with Dori Kelly irritating. I rather like the ad with Sarah Beeny rattling on about landlord insurance because she's quite sexy (IMHO ayway).;)

• RMweb Premium

Not the latest 'David and Victoria' ad.:P

But in her case like most women, she is instinctively and irresistibly attracted to the size of his wallet...

Apart from having all the Christmas tat slammed down your throat in every advert since October, there is also that other irritant where once the shops shut about 4pm on Christmas Eve, all the festive stuff is instantly forgotten and then the world assumes we all want to get up at seven a.m. on Boxing Day just so that we can go out and buy a cheap sofa that you will be lucky if you see it delivered before Easter.

• RMweb Premium

But in her case like most women, she is instinctively and irresistibly attracted to the size of his wallet...

Apart from having all the Christmas tat slammed down your throat in every advert since October, there is also that other irritant where once the shops shut about 4pm on Christmas Eve, all the festive stuff is instantly forgotten and then the world assumes we all want to get up at seven a.m. on Boxing Day just so that we can go out and buy a cheap sofa that you will be lucky if you see it delivered before Easter.

Couldn't agree more, but don't forget the bloody summer holiday ads that start at the same time - on Boxing Day we're all reminded to start planning two weeks in next August!

It's the sheer NOISE of television advertising that antagonises me. One moment I'm watching one of the decades-old programmes I prefer, the volume set at a comfortable level, the next, some frenzied oaf is shouting at me. While I'm looking for the remote control, he gets louder and louder until he finally adds insult to the injury he's done to my ear drums with a scream of: "WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR!!!" Nay, lad, don't take that tone with me; I didn't take in a word of that - it's thee who's gormless, not me.

• RMweb Premium

Couldn't agree more, but don't forget the bloody summer holiday ads that start at the same time - on Boxing Day we're all reminded to start planning two weeks in next August!

...also the 'Free Binder with Part One' serial type adverts usually along with a 'Build your own Model Bismarck' series or something similar which comes in 500 parts at £7.99 a pop! :blink:

I have a built-in Ad Ignorer.

Most of the time I have no idea what they are trying to sell.

As soon as the blast of pre-school generated piffle arrives, my brain switches to something else.

However, I am aware of the proliferation of outlandish sofas because they puzzle me.

Who would give house-room to such things?

Why would anyone want a sofa that has been crawled over by so many strange people with bare feet?

Have they ever sold one at full price?

Pay nothing for four years? What sofa sold at £249 is going to last four years?

Better to buy one after the Sale when the price goes up to £1,900 - bound to be better quality.

It's a strange world.

• RMweb Gold

Has anyone noticed that all supermarkets now advertise with the slogan 'half price' for most of the stuff that they now advertise? Do they think that we are stupid enough to believe this dubious practice? When have you seen that particular 'half price' cut of meat for £4 sold for £8? I thought that there was a '28 day sold at a previous price' regulation? It would seem that the manufacturer/producer/farmer has to bear the costs of these reductions, and not the all powerful supermarkets. Maybe I'm missing something!:blink:

• RMweb Premium

It's the sheer NOISE of television advertising that antagonises me. One moment I'm watching one of the decades-old programmes I prefer, the volume set at a comfortable level, the next, some frenzied oaf is shouting at me. While I'm looking for the remote control, he gets louder and louder until he finally adds insult to the injury he's done to my ear drums with a scream of: "WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR!!!" Nay, lad, don't take that tone with me; I didn't take in a word of that - it's thee who's gormless, not me.

I just use the mute button on the remote control for the duration of the ads.... B)

Short of cash? Need a loan with a dorsal fin? Then you've come to the right place. Here at Kneecap Finance we've been helping people get into serious debt for 10 years, and our rates are(nt) competitive. With just one quick call, you can place your knackers on our anvil and get that holiday you've always wanted, and spend the rest of your life paying for it.

• RMweb Premium

Short of cash? Need a loan with a dorsal fin? Then you've come to the right place. Here at Kneecap Finance we've been helping people get into serious debt for 10 years, and our rates are(nt) competitive. With just one quick call, you can place your knackers on our anvil and get that holiday you've always wanted, and spend the rest of your life paying for it.

Beg to differ BD - all you'll ever pay is the ever-increasing interest, not the holiday itself.

We can all laugh, but these people are truly among the lowest of the low IMHO.

• RMweb Premium

Personally I think the new Iceland advert is terrific......... Great production values...... great cast.... Great products.....

Have just returned from the states where every commercial break was full of adverts for Cancer care hospitals, no-win no fee lawyers, constipation tablets etc etc.

So to have to endure the occasional Iceland advert is sheer bliss!

• RMweb Premium

[soapbox Mode]

I get sick of those adverts that try to guilt-trip you into getting their products. I know it is all dressed up in nicey-nicey language; but you know what they really mean…

“Buy our cleaning product or your kids will die! Yes, you heard me, DIE! If you use one of our competitor's cleaning products you know you are condemning your family to all manner of ghastly ailments such as small pox; the plague and Ebola, all due to your incompetence; you useless, murdering b*****d of a parent.'

I'm not a parent by the way, but I still resent some ad agency telling me how to bring up my kids...which I don't have...but that's beside the point...

Or

'Buy our pet food product, or your cat/dog/fish/tortoise/rabbit* will have a horribly curtailed existence riddled with arthritis/fleas/rotten teeth/flatulence**...and it will be all your fault!' And we've got scientists to prove that we are right as well...look people in white coats with clipboards, generically titled 'Animal Nutritional Expert'.

Hang on, wasn't one of those 'experts' an extra in Doctors the other week? :blink:

Hrumph! :angry:

* delete as appropriate

** likewise

[/soapbox Mode]

I notice that yet again the Coca Cola company are running the annoying Santa Claus soft drink adverts, complete with the so called original Red coated, white bearded, Father Christmas, that they still say was first used and published by them in the 1920's, a copyright and property of the American Coca Cola company.

Generations of US citizens have swallowed this total nonsense for years, that Coca Cola invented the image of Santa Claus as we know it, the design taken from a painting done in the 1920's, and all previous Santa Claus were dressed in green or different costumes........

Except for the actual evidence,......... a dated British postcard, by Tuck's Postcard, in the Oilette series, ......sent in 1907, which I have in my hand, should I send it to Coca Cola and let them know?

Perhaps an apology to the estate of the artist A.L. Bowley would be in order, along with adverts in the States saying how they have mislead the US public for 90 years or so...........Well we can forgive them, after all it is Christmas!!

post-6750-0-30171900-1293131890_thumb.jpg

Stephen.

Archived