RMweb

Next batch of Class 70's

Colas has been using a couple of their class 70s this week on some of the tank trains from Lindsey Oil Refinery.

Making the class debut on the working to Preston Docks on 30th July 2015, 70802 heads back east with 6E32, 08.55 Preston Docks to Lindsey.

attachicon.gif70802 6E32 Mirfield 30072015 RMWeb.jpg

Great photo of an interesting working.  Do you know how long the trial is going to last and whether a 70 will be used again this coming week?

• RMweb Premium

Great photo of an interesting working.  Do you know how long the trial is going to last and whether a 70 will be used again this coming week?

Pretty certain it was a one off for the moment. There were suggestions that the Preston and Colnbrook runs were fuel consumption tests against 60's.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Gold

Unlikely I would think in the coming week as the 70s allocated to the workings migrated back down south according to the gen that I've seen. I had seen somewhere though that the trial was due to last a couple of weeks so I guess it can't be entirely ruled out. Colas will use them where ever they are best suited to the work available.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys

Last night, whilst passing over the Avonmouth Bridge. I could see a Freightliner 70, waiting to depart Portbury Coal Terminal. Looking at Realtime Trains. It looks like it was due to leave for Rugeley at 20:45. Would anyone know what loco is was please.

Thanks Simon

• RMweb Premium

Anyone know what this particular Colas Class 70 is please and the working?

It's pictured in the sidings between Southampton MCT and Redbridge at 18.50 this evening.

Thanks in anticipation.

attachicon.gifDSCN6190.JPG

IIRC, 70802 is/was an odd one in that it didn't (still doesn't?) carry a number on one cab end.

Cheers,

mick

Edited by newbryford

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for confirming that Mick!

I thought I saw this a couple of weeks ago when comparing photos of 70802 to another 70 and I thought I was missing something or going crazy haha!

The factory must have just forgot to apply the number although I'm surprised Colas haven't got the Eastleigh Arlington fitters to add them on.

• RMweb Premium

The other odd one out is 70801 - it has the standard (orangey) yellow ends, as opposed to the Freightliner lemon yellow ends. (Because 70801 was repainted in the UK and 70802-810 were painted in Erie, suing the same paint spec as the FL 70's)

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

Just that one that I know of. If anyone knows different, then that would be useful.

The number is missing at the non-cooler group end of 70802, which I believe is the No1 end -  as the 66 and 70 derive their designation from the convention in the US (cab is No1, cooler group is No2 in the US, cooler/radiator group is normally no1 in the UK - obvious exceptions are the twin-engine locos such as 52's and 55's)

Cheers,

Mick

There are/were exceptions in the US on the railroads that ran engine first, reputedly for safety reasons if a loco hit something, there was an engine and radiator to protect the driver, rather than a short bonnet.

Edited by newbryford

• RMweb Gold

802 is indeed the only one with no number on one end, pointed it out to the fitter it when i collected it from the docks in liverpool but its never been recitifed

To be honest most drivers now know its 802 when they see it coming because of the lack of end number, similarly 801 because of its different yellow ends

• RMweb Gold

Anyone know what this particular Colas Class 70 is please and the working?

It's pictured in the sidings between Southampton MCT and Redbridge at 18.50 this evening.

Thanks in anticipation.

attachicon.gifDSCN6190.JPG

I think the working was 4E76, 19:01, Southampton - Leeds.

70014 passes Millbrook on what I think is the 16.57 Southampton MCT - Trafford Park; totally devoid of containers this evening.

Alongside, in Millbrook FLT, is 66542 with engine running attached to a loaded Freightliner train. Not sure the working as "Realtimetrains" seems to count Soton MCT and Millbrook FLT as one location.

post-6880-0-45521000-1440623988.jpg

Edited by Peter Kazmierczak
  • Like 8