RMweb

Next batch of Class 70's

So.............Whats happening then.?????

Is it going back to the States, does anyone know what decision has been arrived at as to its destination. I note the Beluga Endurance is still in port in Rostok(Germany).

Bob

• RMweb Premium

So.............Whats happening then.?????

Is it going back to the States, does anyone know what decision has been arrived at as to its destination. I note the Beluga Endurance is still in port in Rostok(Germany).

Bob

REx suggests that it's likely to go back to the US for component recovery - but awaiting transport.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Gold

It doesn't seem to look too bad in those telephoto pictures.

There are links to much better pictures further back in the thread, whcih clearly show the state of damage.

Andi

• RMweb Premium

Talking to an ex railway engineer friend (with many current contacts) what seems to have happenned is that the chains broke at one end and that end dropped and hit the deck hard (the left hand end in the picture I saw). This appears to ahve bent the frame at the end of the shallow section above the bogies which would be the obvious point. The also explains why there are some wheelsets that can be used to repair No 9. Hope this is of interest.

Jamie

........what seems to have happenned is that the chains broke at one end and that end dropped and hit the deck hard (the left hand end in the picture I saw).

This appears to have bent the frame at the end of the shallow section above the bogies which would be the obvious point. .......

Note that it's also bent at the other end.

In the photos, it's appears that the cab at that end noticeably droops down too. So the loco is bent in two places.

Is that a result of the impact shock passing through the frame causing failure at the other lifting point?

• RMweb Premium

Note that it's also bent at the other end.

In the photos, it's appears that the cab at that end noticeably droops down too. So the loco is bent in two places.

Is that a result of the impact shock passing through the frame causing failure at the other lifting point?

That woulkd make sense. The weakest points will be at the inner end of the the bogies where the frame has to thin to clear the bogies and the heaviest part is the engine in the centre. I remember seeing class 56 frames on accommodation bogies at Doncaster before the engines were placed on. They were built with a distinct upward camber that straightened out when the engine was put in the frames. I suspect that the weight of the engine block kept the centre section moving down after the front bogie had hit the ground.

Jamie

• RMweb Gold

Dave, do you know if its planned to run again Friday this week.?

Bob

70011 on Avonmouth - Rugeley today Bob.

70012 has been written off. I have photos from "a source" (a lot closer and better than the Internet ones) and, "Ouch!"

70011 on Avonmouth - Rugeley today Bob.

70012 has been written off. I have photos from "a source" (a lot closer and better than the Internet ones) and, "Ouch!"

Dave, I couldnt get out today...but my pal went over to Crewe to see 70008, succesfully.

I have heard a rumour......Brush are to be used take the power unit out of 70012, and put it into 70005.

Is this complete B.....x, or is there an ounce of truth here.

Bob.

Not sure why brush would be needed to do this. As with a 45 tonne road crane you can lift the engine and alternator set. without paying Brush the expense of hiring a workshop for the use of an overhead crane. But guess only time will tell.

anyway

70008 was on the 4L92 Ditton Felixstowe so should worked the 4M45 Felixstowe-Ditton tomorrow

70011 worked the 6M55 Portbury-Rugeley and 4V57 return today