Next batch of Class 70's

Even more off topic but that's not quite right.

It's based on Mode S Transponder data which is a transmission from the aircraft in response to the aircraft's transponder being interogated by ground based Secondary Surveilance Radar (SSR).

Hi Mike, you are correct. I was trying to simplify the point I was making that the flight tracker is not a complete or fully accurate representation of what is actually in the sky. wink.gifsmile.gif

Aircraft with Enhanced Mode S (EHS) capability also provide a datlink capability for navigation data from the aircraft Flight Management System (FMS) which provides the tracking information shown on websites such as FlightRadar 24. The difference in capabilities is why some aircraft dont track.

If I'm correct, I believe it is only ADS-B data, via Mode-S that is being used on FlightRadar24.

As you correctly state, only a percentage of aircraft are transmitting this data. Mode-S being one of the channels for transmission.

There are commercially available receivers such as SBS-1 from Kinetic Avionics which receive Mode S data and display it as a virtual radar display. The tranmissions will be line of sight. The websites network multiple recievers but where there are no receivers there will be gaps in coverage.

As you obviously know, those receivers are picking up Mode-S data and using any position information (e.g. ADS-B derived) to create the virtual radar display.

As only a percentage of Mode-S equipped aircraft may be transmitting this data and as the site relies on its network of users feeding data from their own receivers, it explains why FlightRadar24 often displays so few tracks.

For example, recently in one London FIR south easterly sector (which shall remain nameless wink.gif), FlightRadar24 displayed only 2 out of 11 aircraft within that sector (all IFR flights in CAS receiving a full service). That's not so uncommon.

The number of aircraft being displayed is variable depending on the traffic mix and and how many "hobbyists' are providing data to the network, but it is always far from a complete "picture".

In most European states Elementary Mode S is madatory for IFR flights and in most controlled airspace. EHS is only mandatory in a few instances, the London Terminal Area being the only UK one, but a lot of aircraft currently hold exemptons so still do not plot. On the other hand most recently delivered aircraft will have EHS capability from new and many others have already been upgraded so do show up.

Even in the LTMA, the virtual radar on FlightRadar24 is far from a complete representation of all flights.

This is of course different to the many commercial US Flight Trackers who actually buy radar data feeds from the FAA. In the UK, NATS will not provide such data for "security reasons"...

AFAIK most, if not all European ANSP's do not provide live data outside of the ATM networks.

Anyway, back to the topic. biggrin.gif

slightly off topic (sorry)

But i have just been notified that 70012 has been dropped (and to use my sources direct quote BIG STYLE) whilst unloading at the docks today and is being sent back for repair immediately.:(

My source is pretty good on this, however as the unloading proceedure is normally done with workers present i hope everyone there is ok, as i have no news on that.

cheers

Dave

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Gen elsewhere suggests it was dropped 30ft back into the boat, bogie damage and a broken back.

Andi

That's been claimed several times on previous shipments and has yet to actually happen, which is why I'm keeping an open mind at this stage.

Not being an expert on these matters but I reckon a loco dropping 30' would sink the ship, over 100tons is likely to go through the bottom from that height.

• RMweb Premium

No-one hurt, ship still floating. There is a also load of grain under the floor where the locos were. 70012 is now blocking that.

Cheers,

Mick

Edit - 70012 was relifted out of the way to get at the grain. It is now back on board.

• RMweb Premium

If a crane snapped it is likely to appear on the news website, keep an eye on those and see, obviously take what they say with a pinch of salt as journalists have been known to get things wrong, or distort the facts to make things more exciting or newsworthy.

• RMweb Premium

Crane straps snapped allegedly - nothing on any news site though.

Not as exciting as a crane breaking so I guess far less likely to make the news websites.

• RMweb Gold

Not as exciting as a crane breaking so I guess far less likely to make the news websites.

As I said above, the same stories abounded when the 66s arrived, so I'm keeping an open mind at the moment, although, granted, there does seem to have been some form of incident, or the rumour mill is working extremely well today ;)

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

Yes, I thought the cranes breaking sounded abit unlikely!

Simon

It does happen, sadly a crane operator was killed in Liverpool, some months back, when the crane collapsed.

• Like 1

But i have just been notified that 70012 has been dropped (and to use my sources direct quote BIG STYLE) whilst unloading at the docks

That would never have happend if they had rolled them out from the Falcon Works in Loughborough.....

Chris.