Next batch of Class 70's

• RMweb Gold

70015 on the Ellesmere Port - Fiddlers run today, sent my lad off to get some shots, hopefully it will run to time with the bad weather.

And it did, 70015 photographed by my lad on it's first revenue service at 12:18 today, passing Ellesmere Port station

• RMweb Premium

Not having caught up with 70013 onwards yet, has anyone spotted any changes to this batch from the previous locos?

I'm only aware that the obvious difference between 001-006 and 007-011 is the diagonal crease and weld line around a rectangular panel on the cabsides.

Cheers,

Mick

70007 was on 4O29, Crewe - Southampton on 17/12/2011, you probably saw it around 13:30-14:00 ?

hth

Sounds about right - I think I'd just seen off an XX38 departure to Wallingford (timetable says XX35 but we usually wait for the XX37 from Oxford), and I think the Wallingford train was also a few minutes late having slowed to give Santa enough time to distribute the presents!

• RMweb Premium

Whilst idling away a few mins on the ACL shipping website, I came across this in their 2011 news

"Construction of 7x80’ 150T special purpose mafi trailers constructed for heavy duty project cargoes."

These are used with RO-RO vessels for stuff that doesn't fit in a container.

Hmmmmmmm - what's just short of 80' long and weighs a bit less than 150T? Could make a nice cameo on a dockside...............

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

Have heard a whisper that 70018 is on its way to the UK, aboard "Atlantic Cartier", due in Liverpool on 16th January.

Anyone care to confirm this.??

Bob

Edit.......I note this ship is due to arrive Halifax, Nova Scotia tomorrow, Mon 9th Jan...could this be to collect 70018.?

Edited by 250BOB

Long may they stay away from N Lincs.

You know........I thought exactly the same as you before I heard and saw them......but they grew on me. Not surprising as I did like the 58's a lot.

Besides, its good to have another class of loco fleet growing.

• RMweb Premium

You know........I thought exactly the same as you before I heard and saw them......but they grew on me. Not surprising as I did like the 58's a lot.

Besides, its good to have another class of loco fleet growing.

And with a bit of luck, with 70016 training more Carlisle area, then that means more down my way - making better use of them on the Northern hills, rather than the flatlands of eastern England..... :locomotive:

Mick