GRANBY JUNCTION - Shunting Siphons for the Up Parcels with a Manor!

john dew

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for all the ticks and comments guys.

The doors, a round dozen, are back on the GWR shed

post-465-0-33789700-1540306479_thumb.jpg

In close up

post-465-0-28445900-1540306494_thumb.jpg

The doors were scratch built from plastic strip and Wills planking. I scribed planks on the blank side of the Wills sheet but made sure they were on the non-viewing side.......... LH front  RH back. icon_lol.gif

I didnt spend too much time getting them exactly lined up. They were pretty vulnerable in real life, in fact I am not convinced that all 12 would actually have still been in place in 1948. They are certainly vulnerable in model form to the "hand of god" and I am reconciled to having to replace a few whenever the shed is lifted. Hence all the testing to ensure the track is perfect. Its a good incentive to do lots of operating.......one of the benefits of DCC......regular running = clean track.

So, with the doors on, its time for detailing.....an aspect of the hobby that I really enjoy and look forward to. If nothing else it signals the project is approaching the finish line.

Additional bits and pieces from Dart Castings

post-465-0-64236000-1540306508_thumb.jpg

I really only wanted one bench outside the Mess Hall so a couple of sub sheds will also benefit.

Dart Castings definitely make my fire point of choice......I must have at least a dozen already scattered around Granby.

They are a bit fiddly to assemble and paint but they look just right for scale unlike some other kits. Another benefit is a stand can "lose" the odd bucket......quick repaint and it fits perfectly on the back of a Pannier.

Dont take the paint scheme as gospel for the GWR. White stand, Red Buckets with Black handles was how it was done in the Kings Regiment (Liverpool) over half a century ago. Old habits die hard.

post-465-0-93787100-1540306522_thumb.jpg

post-465-0-34910500-1540306540_thumb.jpg

Firepoint outside the Booking- in Office. Fire alarm is from the Ratio engine shed kit. Hose cabinet is a new item from Modelu. The original was scanned at Didcot

Next a touch of whimsey

post-465-0-38754800-1540306555_thumb.jpg

A relic of WWII fire watching

post-465-0-98711400-1540306574.jpg

Followed by a glimpse of the this weeks project

post-465-0-00968600-1540306589.jpg

Replacing the thirty or so figures that have been in storage for the past 6 months

post-465-0-65871900-1540306607_thumb.jpg

This may, at first sight, seem excessive. When I first built the shed I tried to establish the numbers employed in a medium sized shed. The consensus was that my estimate of 200 was on the low side.

36 on site during a week day is, therefore, not unreasonable...........in fact I am going to add a few more 

post-465-0-00258000-1540306636_thumb.jpg

This tea party is destined to stand outside the Mess Hall

From Modelu (usual disclaimer). Scanned from live models, they are quite excellent, robust yet with some lovely delicate detail.

They are somewhat different from the rest of the cast from Montys Models, Dapol (ex Airfix) and Gem. Heads and limbs are slimmer and more lifelike. Bodies are somewhat larger They do appear to be somewhat better fed than the average post war railwayman!

The original cast were painted 5 years ago. They dont need a complete repaint but will need some touching up and as you can see above I think  that I have, at last, hit on a more authentic shade for the ubiquitous blue overalls than the brighter blue I used previously.

When completed they will be set up in little cameos..... Mess Hall, Booking In Office,Bicycle Shed,Repair Shop etc.

Regards from Vancouver where we continue to enjoy some wonderful Autumnal weather.

John

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Great update John, and some excellent detail shots. The loco shed doors work really well and the colours of everything are so nicely balanced.

I have also been wondering about the livery of firepoints, haven't found any definitive description yet. Maybe there wasn't one!

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Mikkel thats very kind of you.

My guess is that both stand and buckets were red. I must dig out my Stephen Williams book I think he mentions it.

Best wishes

John

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

how it was done in the Kings Regiment (Liverpool) over half a century ago. Old habits die hard.

Hope you have managed to give up the light fingered habit - I served alongside Her Majesty's Scousers in Berlin and when they left, so did absolutely everything they could get their sticky mitts on.  Bless them.  

They even put a formal complaint in when some of the shipping containers didn't turn up in Tidworth - because they were fill of stuff that should have stayed in Berlin for the next battalion!  Cheeky gets.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Mikkel thats very kind of you.

My guess is that both stand and buckets were red. I must dig out my Stephen Williams book I think he mentions it.

Best wishes

John

I rather wish I hadnt started this Mikkel :jester:

I spent yesterday evening skimming through two volumes of Stephen Williams, Paul Karau's combined edition and CJ Gammil. It would seem fire buckets were far less commonplace than I thought on GWR branch lines. In the few instances where I found photos there were no neatly ordered rows of buckets hung on hooks instead there would be an untidy straggle standing on the platform. The only example approaching the Dart Casting stand was at Morehamstead where two rows of buckets were hung on a wrought iron fence .

I must admit I found this very surprising. My most frequent exposure to railways as a child was my daily trip to and from school on the ex LMS Liverpool-Southport electric line. I have a distinct memory of fire buckets hung up at  the stations that I used. Its too late to change them now ........I will have rely on Tony's delightful phrase "the world according to Granby"

PS The photos were all B&W but the buckets I did find looked as though they were red!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hope you have managed to give up the light fingered habit - I served alongside Her Majesty's Scousers in Berlin and when they left, so did absolutely everything they could get their sticky mitts on.  Bless them.  

They even put a formal complaint in when some of the shipping containers didn't turn up in Tidworth - because they were fill of stuff that should have stayed in Berlin for the next battalion!  Cheeky gets.

Yes....that sounds about right. Old habits die hard :jester:

I suspect if anyone added up the volume of the individual items claimed to be in the missing container it would have far exceeded the capacity of the said container!

A few years before I joined the Battalion a one ton truck got flipped over attempting a river crossing and the contents were lost. The Court of Inquiry found the total weight of the stores "lost" would have required at least a Three Tonner. Some four years after this incident we were still able to replace lost/damaged MMG parts from the remains of the written off "drowned"  Vickers.

I was quite surprised when I left the Army to find that civilian practices were rather different. Unaccounted surpluses were not treated as a welcome bonus.

Cheers

John 

• RMweb Gold

I rather wish I hadnt started this Mikkel :jester:

I spent yesterday evening skimming through two volumes of Stephen Williams, Paul Karau's combined edition and CJ Gammil. It would seem fire buckets were far less commonplace than I thought on GWR branch lines. In the few instances where I found photos there were no neatly ordered rows of buckets hung on hooks instead there would be an untidy straggle standing on the platform. The only example approaching the Dart Casting stand was at Morehamstead where two rows of buckets were hung on a wrought iron fence .

I must admit I found this very surprising. My most frequent exposure to railways as a child was my daily trip to and from school on the ex LMS Liverpool-Southport electric line. I have a distinct memory of fire buckets hung up at  the stations that I used. Its too late to change them now ........I will have rely on Tony's delightful phrase "the world according to Granby"

PS The photos were all B&W but the buckets I did find looked as though they were red!

Sorry about that John! I've come to the same conclusion myself. I have especially struggled to find a prototype for the Dart Castings stand. But I've got one anyway, :-)

The buckets on the SVR are red and that's good enough for me John.

Hi.......

Our fire buckets are certainly red....! 

Stand out a tad eh?

post-20610-0-39668500-1540672914_thumb.jpg

Regards always.....

Bob

• Like 4

Hi.......

Stand out a tad eh?

attachicon.gif103_0119.JPG

Regards always.....

Bob

Marvelous shot Bob, brings back memories now!

As per my PM to you earlier this year, our trip to SVR was a brilliant day out, 70000 and teak Coaches :sungum:

Turned out that half of the UK's Scouts were booked onto 1st train out of K, cramming it full, so we waited for the 2nd and had our pick of seating. Superb weather also. 

Colin

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi.......

Stand out a tad eh?

attachicon.gif103_0119.JPG

Regards always.....

Bob

Maybe I will have a chance of seeing them for real next summer?

We have a very brief visit to the UK in July. After flying in to Heathrow we will drive up to visit family near Manchester. After staying at Hay on Wye we drive to Ludlow and spend a night there before heading north.  I dont think we have time to actually take a train trip but what would be the best station to visit to see some locos and maybe have lunch?

Regards

John

Maybe I will have a chance of seeing them for real next summer?

We have a very brief visit to the UK in July. After flying in to Heathrow we will drive up to visit family near Manchester. After staying at Hay on Wye we drive to Ludlow and spend a night there before heading north.  I dont think we have time to actually take a train trip but what would be the best station to visit to see some locos and maybe have lunch?

Regards

John

Hi John...

Well....I would have to say Arley is perhaps the prettiest and most photographically scenic station on the SVR, but that is just me being biased , Arley being my volunteering base...however if your time is limited, then I would suggest Bewdley as an alternative as it is perhaps the most direct station to reach on your routing....Bewdley Station has the greatest chance of you viewing passing locos depending upon the timetable and is another very atmospheric station .......the riverside market town itself is lovely too with of plenty eating houses, pubs and if the weather is good great for a stroll along the riverside....or if you park up in the town first a walk up to the station itself.....

Regards always....

Bob

Edited by BobM

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Bob

That sounds perfect........I have already persuaded Mrs D that Swindon is a convenient stopover on the way to Bath so I have to proceed with caution but your description should be enough

Cheers

John

• RMweb Gold

This is the first of the completed cameos on the Engine Shed.

The Scalescene medium station was modified as a Mess Room and Office building about three months ago.

post-465-0-49856100-1540915325_thumb.jpg

Added Detail

post-465-0-04925000-1540915339_thumb.jpg

and to complete the scene the loco crew that were painted last week

post-465-0-11983000-1540915355_thumb.jpg

Here is a close up of the tea party, last seen delicately poised on wine corks

post-465-0-43502200-1540915368_thumb.jpg

The scene is not exactly as planned. Modelu back ordered the two seated figures that were intended  to form the centre piece on the newly acquired bench. I had to hastily press into service an autocoach driver......hence the outstretched arm  

post-465-0-76912400-1540915383_thumb.jpg

I have tried to suggest this is part of the kitchen building......waste bins, sack of potatoes and cartons of perhaps beans or tomatoes......and of course yet another Dart casting Fire Point!.

post-465-0-45812300-1540915429_thumb.jpg

I took this close up to show one of my favourite Modelu figures. Not seen a model of a fireman with lamps before......the handles on the lamps are quite exquisite.

The downside of the shot is the marked contrast between this figure and the toy like figure in the background ......something I had intended to avoid. On this occasion I regret achieving good depth of field!.

So thats one segment complete. Hopefully I have achieved a sense of activity without being too busy or cluttered

post-465-0-52289900-1540915473_thumb.jpg

A few bikes to paint and next week the new cycle shed can be unveiled

Regards to all

John

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

. I had to hastily press into service an autocoach driver......hence the outstretched arm  

He's got his packet of 10 Park Drive or Craven A open on offer..................  

The chap with the lamps is exquisite.

Anther great cameo John.

Thank you for the inspiration.

• RMweb Gold

He's got his packet of 10 Park Drive or Craven A open on offer..................  

The chap with the lamps is exquisite.

Anther great cameo John.

Thank you for the inspiration.

Brilliant......why didnt I think of that? He can stay.....he will get glued down after lunch.

Thanks for the nice comments

John

This is the first of the completed cameos on the Engine Shed.

The Scalescene medium station was modified as a Mess Room and Office building about three months ago.

attachicon.gif1 B&W.jpg

Added Detail

attachicon.gif2 Fixtures.jpg

and to complete the scene the loco crew that were painted last week

attachicon.gif3 Mess hall 2.jpg

Here is a close up of the tea party, last seen delicately poised on wine corks

attachicon.gif4 Tea Party.jpg

The scene is not exactly as planned. Modelu back ordered the two seated figures that were intended  to form the centre piece on the newly acquired bench. I had to hastily press into service an autocoach driver......hence the outstretched arm  

attachicon.gif5 Overall at end.jpg

I have tried to suggest this is part of the kitchen building......waste bins, sack of potatoes and cartons of perhaps beans or tomatoes......and of course yet another Dart casting Fire Point!.

attachicon.gif6 Fireman.jpg

I took this close up to show one of my favourite Modelu figures. Not seen a model of a fireman with lamps before......the handles on the lamps are quite exquisite.

The downside of the shot is the marked contrast between this figure and the toy like figure in the background ......something I had intended to avoid. On this occasion I regret achieving good depth of field!.

So thats one segment complete. Hopefully I have achieved a sense of activity without being too busy or cluttered

attachicon.gif7.1 Mess Hall Overal B&Wl.jpg

A few bikes to paint and next week the new cycle shed can be unveiled

Regards to all

John

Superb....!

How did you represent that concrete surface in the yard....?

Regards always

Bob

Edited by BobM

Thanks Bob

That sounds perfect........I have already persuaded Mrs D that Swindon is a convenient stopover on the way to Bath so I have to proceed with caution but your description should be enough

Cheers

John

John,

You're following a road well traveled. On the previous UK trip I likewise convinced Mrs W that Swindon was the best spot to "stopover", BTW we stayed at "The Inn with the Well" which has modern rooms, it was some way out of town but very reasonably priced. She loved the visit to the Swindon works and that in part got her onside for our most recent (rail)road trip with the 3 Gens of family W to York NRM and SVR.

HW is a full convert to the delights of rail now :sungum: 

Good luck,

Colin   

• RMweb Gold

Superb....!

How did you represent that concrete surface in the yard....?

Regards always

Bob

Thank you Bob thats very kind of you

Its Matt Board (called Mount board in the UK). We used to be in the Picture Frame business but you can buy off cuts from any Picture Framer for a few pence. I paint it with a few coats of Acrylic.....a random mix of Black and Grey. When its glued down I spatter some Vallejo Oil/Grease where appropriate and brush weathering powders over high traffic areas

Cheers

John

• RMweb Gold

Thank you so much for the likes etc. Its very re-assuring to know that I am not boring you with this seemingly endless account of a rebuild.

The good news is that finally the GWR shed, the main part of the project, is complete

The hold up has been the cycle shed which I have been building on and off since September. When I finished the GWR shed in 2014 I remember Bob (81C), a long time supporter, asking where is the bike shed? Well there was one but it was so small I couldnt even find a photo to show you!

With the rebuild, I wanted to have a bike shed that looked reasonably credible for a site with at least 200 workers.
I would imagine that many would have walked to work.....some may well have lived in nearby Company terraces. There would also be buses of course. Nevertheless I feel that a significant number would have cycled in.

I am wondering if I should add a car or two? A Hillman for the Shed Manager.....is that the correct term?......and perhaps a battered Austin 7 for the Workshop foreman.......but that would be it. Its an interesting reflection on the increase in car ownership....fast forward even 30 years and there would be at least 20 cars on site.

I hope you feel, as I do, that this type of conjecture/research about social history is one of the many fascinating charms of modelling.

Next, how I made a bike shed from bits and pieces......and why did it take so long

post-465-0-49119500-1541605235_thumb.jpg

This could be taken from the "Great Model Railway" scratch build challenge. A much battered Wills Timber yard.

Build a frame from plastic strip on card "concrete" slab

post-465-0-30056200-1541605249_thumb.jpg

Paint and weather and then fabricate Racks from the Wills Kit

post-465-0-26220800-1541605267_thumb.jpg

Paint a dozen bikes (Wills and Shirescenes) and hope they can be artfully placed to suggest a lot more.

post-465-0-37671800-1541605281_thumb.jpg

This seemed to take took forever!

post-465-0-99749000-1541605296_thumb.jpg

post-465-0-15909100-1541605313_thumb.jpg

I do wonder now whether I needed to spend quite so much time painting the bikes........but at least I know the saddles are all painted in tan leather!

The hidden plus is that the bike shed is glued to the baseboard but separate from the the main building.It will be a good solid guide and marker when the main building is lifted and replaced.

A few more figures added to complete the Booking in Office scene

post-465-0-16458800-1541605337_thumb.jpg

Panning back, more equipment, Oil Drums, Girders, Chain have been added so it doesnt look too prisyine. The girders etcs also serve as a guide and hide the undulating join between shed and baseboard....a constant concern since I added the extension

post-465-0-18515000-1541605361_thumb.jpg

This is actually the passage way between the GWR shed and the workshop which is a good segue into this weeks project.

Regards from Vancouver where it is definitely fall.....temperatures dropping and a series of systems moving in from the Pacific, wall to wall 24/48 hour rain interspersed with lovely crisp cloudless skies

John

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Thought I had better provide evidence of the idyllic fall weather we enjoy between the two day monsoons

post-465-0-15097200-1541695254_thumb.jpg

post-465-0-97293000-1541695305_thumb.jpg

This looks rather different immediately after a rainstorm

post-465-0-35350600-1541695334_thumb.jpg

Regards

John

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Whats this then?

Hardly the usual introduction to a Granby post icon_lol.gif

post-465-0-33171300-1542223665_thumb.jpg

BobM asked how I made the "concrete" that surrounds the Engine Shed.

I use artist's mount board (we call it Mat board). If you are not bothered about colour, and clearly I am not icon_rolleyes.gif, you can pick up off cuts quite inexpensively from Picture Frame shops. The coloured side generally has light texturing, which can be useful, the underside is white and smooth.

To get it to Code 100 rail height I use two layers. The bottom layer is just roughly placed but the top layer is cut precisely to make a snug fit. This is the reverse of a section to go between two sidings. The strip on the left has been scraped off the surface with a scalpel to allow for the height of the rail chairs. Infill rising above rail height was the bane of my life on the old shed so I am somewhat cautios .

Here it is flipped over in place........its part of the concrete standing between the wheel drop rails and the LMS shed

post-465-0-17101200-1542223679_thumb.jpg

post-465-0-08492200-1542223697_thumb.jpg

After a few coats of randomly mixed Black and Grey Acrylic.

The wheel drop rails are made of two sections of Code 100 glued to form a U channel.

I know that there should be an inspection pit in front of every shed road but when I first built the shed I chickened out, reasoning they woud mostly be covered by locos. Good job that I did of, course because when I changed the turntable the exit road geometry changed.

Here is an overall shot of the workshop (modified Scalescene small shed) back in place

post-465-0-94132900-1542223715_thumb.jpg

The tracks in the right foreground wil shortly be covered by the LMS shed

The wheel drop is the Ratio Kit

post-465-0-65316500-1542223735_thumb.jpg

post-465-0-27362100-1542223756_thumb.jpg

I find it difficult to set up convincing everyday cameos on the shed roads. The realistic scene of a Driver oiling a bearing or a cleaner polishing a tender look a bit daft when the said loco moves off shed!

As an alternative I have set up a couple of static cameos where the locos will not move (in truth...they cant)....the active shed roads just have equipment and a few staff walking purposefully.

So here is the first such cameo.

A couple of panniers permanently on display..... surrounded by a team of busy fitters

post-465-0-15102400-1542223781_thumb.jpg

Most of the figures are from the Gem package I bought 20 years ago. They dont compare too favourably with Modelu and Monty's models but from a distance they do provide a sense of activity

post-465-0-03989100-1542223793_thumb.jpg

I am not super mechanical so I always worried that this scene, which I have reproduced from the old set up, was technically incorrect so I was quite relieved when I recently stumbled across an old photo showing the jacks set up in this manner...... (this isnt the old photo.....its just me playing with the editor)

The workshop is almost done then it will be time to put the LMS shed back in place

Regards from Vancouver where it is now very wet indeed

John

Edited by john dew
  • Like 9

Whats this then?

Hardly the usual introduction to a Granby post icon_lol.gif

attachicon.gif1 Rebate.jpg

BobM asked how I made the "concrete" that surrounds the Engine Shed.

I use artist's mount board (we call it Mat board). If you are not bothered about colour, and clearly I am not icon_rolleyes.gif, you can pick up off cuts quite inexpensively from Picture Frame shops. The coloured side generally has light texturing, which can be useful, the underside is white and smooth.

To get it to Code 100 rail height I use two layers. The bottom layer is just roughly placed but the top layer is cut precisely to make a snug fit. This is the reverse of a section to go between two sidings. The strip on the left has been scraped off the surface with a scalpel to allow for the height of the rail chairs. Infill rising above rail height was the bane of my life on the old shed so I am somewhat cautios .

Here it is flipped over in place........its part of the concrete standing between the wheel drop rails and the LMS shed

attachicon.gif2 Wheeldrop Foundation.jpg

attachicon.gif3 Wheeldrop track.jpg

After a few coats of randomly mixed Black and Grey Acrylic.

The wheel drop rails are made of two sections of Code 100 glued to form a U channel.

I know that there should be an inspection pit in front of every shed road but when I first built the shed I chickened out, reasoning they woud mostly be covered by locos. Good job that I did of, course because when I changed the turntable the exit road geometry changed.

Here is an overall shot of the workshop (modified Scalescene small shed) back in place

attachicon.gif5.01 Site Rear.jpg

The tracks in the right foreground wil shortly be covered by the LMS shed

The wheel drop is the Ratio Kit

attachicon.gif6 Wheeldrop.jpg

attachicon.gif7.1 Joe.jpg

I find it difficult to set up convincing everyday cameos on the shed roads. The realistic scene of a Driver oiling a bearing or a cleaner polishing a tender look a bit daft when the said loco moves off shed!

As an alternative I have set up a couple of static cameos where the locos will not move (in truth...they cant)....the active shed roads just have equipment and a few staff walking purposefully.

So here is the first such cameo.

A couple of panniers permanently on display..... surrounded by a team of busy fitters

attachicon.gif8 Springs.jpg

Most of the figures are from the Gem package I bought 20 years ago. They dont compare too favourably with Modelu and Monty's models but from a distance they do provide a sense of activity

attachicon.gif9.1 Pit B&W.jpg

I am not super mechanical so I always worried that this scene, which I have reproduced from the old set up, was technically incorrect so I was quite relieved when I recently stumbled across an old photo showing the jacks set up in this manner...... (this isnt the old photo.....its just me playing with the editor)

The workshop is almost done then it will be time to put the LMS shed back in place

Regards from Vancouver where it is now very wet indeed

John

Hi....

Thank you John for this informative and creative post.....much appreciated....

Regards always....

Bob