GRANBY JUNCTION - Shunting Siphons for the Up Parcels with a Manor!

john dew

• RMweb Gold

With the site slowing down for maintenance last week I skipped my usual update.

In actual fact I spent most of my time running trains.....now there's a novel concept icon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gif.......so progress has slowed somewhat

In any event you guys must be getting fed up with shots like this.

post-465-0-04863900-1543337883_thumb.jpg

At least here is something a little different

post-465-0-21681400-1543337897_thumb.jpg

A steam boiler for the workshop.

post-465-0-48761600-1543337928_thumb.jpg

It came in kit form as part of a job lot of Gem items that I bought years ago.

I rather enjoyed building the kit and am now quite attached to it........

post-465-0-06580100-1543337947_thumb.jpg

I am not sure that it would have been located outside or that it would have been kept in such pristine condition.

I suppose I can create some sort of legend about a shed pet, lovingly maintained by Bill Longshank a semi retired ex driver. (internet friend on another forum)

post-465-0-02800600-1543337986_thumb.jpg

Bill craftily knocked up a shelter where he can spend most of his time. Fortunately he hasnt got around to replacing the corrugated sheet that rusted away.......so I can continue to admire the backhead detail.

This weeks focus is on something more substantial.......finishing the LMS shed area

post-465-0-94989100-1543338013_thumb.jpg

In other news you will no doubt be pleased to learn that Canada secured the very last place in next years Rugby World Club by defeating Hong Kong in the repecharge. As their pool group includes New Zealand and South Africa I would think that the odds on them progressing to the Quarter Finals are astronomic.......but at least they will be there

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Lovely work John those views are very atmospheric.

Thanks Bob...........I have been using Affinity to edit the photos..........I am just scratching the surface with all the options and I suspect I wont advance much further far but the ability to correct the white balance is far better than photoshop elements and I seem to be able to make the black and white shots softer and more authentic.........just trying to find the sepia button now!

Cheers 

• RMweb Gold

I love the stationary boiler piece. I have the gem kit too and I have contemplated the same arrangement with the roof over the back head. It appears to be prototypical from photos on the net.

Thank you!  Glad to learn that the arrangement is/was prototypical and not, as I feared, a figment of my imagination. Could you let me know the link.....I must have asked the wrong question when I googled!

Cheers

John

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I love the stationary boiler piece. I have the gem kit too and I have contemplated the same arrangement with the roof over the back head. It appears to be prototypical from photos on the net.

IIRC the SB around the back of the Roundhouse at Laira circa 1959/60+, was actually positioned part through the wall with the firebox inside the building. I may be suffering from fading memory but I did 'creep' in that way many times, avoiding the Foreman's Office. I also think there was a complete Loco, No. 9711 ITIW, actually on a turntable stub in the RH and that was piped up too. Maybe that served the later build Long Shed as it was that side of the R.H.? Blimey that seems so long ago.

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Gold

The LMS shed, a much modified Metcalfe, is now back in place

The GWR half roundhouse was technically more challenging to build and is very effective in the confined space but ,for whatever reason, I get an equal if not greater amount of pleasure from this more modest building.  .

It could be because I have such pleasant memories of doing the modifications. I know little about the LMS and this was a real collaborative effort accross the continents. In particular,I remember I got a huge amount of help from a delightful guy in Kilkenny Ireland. Super chap, absolute mine of information on the LNWR........he sent me neat hand drawn sketches of how I was to build the ventilators and lots of advice on paint colours etc and LMS practice in general .

80441801_1Intro.jpg.782318292c0743d03e02b176d5d1fc14.jpg

The full build is described somewhere round page 20......December 2013......how time flies!.

As a result of installing the new turntable the LMS site has changed a bit. There is now a third exit road for LMS locos which is very useful but, as a result, I have had to shorten one of the three carriage sidings. Which in itself is not such a bad result because the space in front of the offices/stores was previously rather cramped

167719644_2BWside.jpg.4dafccdb4ef2052ffa06f9126c9c9c60.jpg

This shot shows at the bottom the tunnel exit which enables the low level auto coach to access Canal St halt..........and in the real world explains the level problems I had with the sheds........genuine mining subsidence.....how much more realistic can one get? :scratchhead:

Detail and even more detail:

1322941491_3Boiler.jpg.971d1f3feab33f00c44bdece24825066.jpg

2064176779_3aDetailintro.jpg.748e31beade187a497a709fa9dab3488.jpg

1837108481_4FireIronRack.jpg.de49d2e7b9a91b31357c1fc1b7332132.jpg

No fancy Mess Hall for the LMS crew.....just .a converted coach shoehorned into a narrow space by the turntable 

298968056_5MessCarriage.jpg.1835cbf05f87ce40adea04e0bf93083a.jpg

We had a long debate about paint colours and finally determined that after the grouping in 1923 the repainting of engine sheds would be a long way down the LMS corporate livery list.......and then WWII intervened........so these doors are my best effort at very faded, 25 year old LNWR Dark Red/Brown. Lamp post, hydrant and water crane in battleship grey.......literally.......... LNWR bought a load of surplus Royal Nave paint after WWI

838164342_7FrontLMS.jpg.e8a883ef66d1555c6dd024087e2f463e.jpg

293619073_8BWfinish.jpg.39cf24d986e37e16dc44b8bdc95af3f8.jpg

306055772_9Bwfront2.jpg.59d951914d81125d47653d538e8a0c8e.jpg

Just a few bits and pieces to do then a final wrap up and its time to start thinking about a video........I do want to share with you the turntable operation....its a real joy!

Regards from a cold crisp Vancouver

Edited by john dew
photos 6/9/22
  • Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for all the likes guys...........one last little cameo before I wrap up this long running saga

In addition to a bunch of fitters, the Gem Shed pack also came with a number of cleaners in various "action" poses

1343040085_FromFront.jpg.82669dde1dc1471479a5618503c89cc6.jpg

Previously they were scattered around the shed "cleaning" a number of different locos. Fine in theory but not so good in practice.........when a loco moved off the shed it left a cleaner still clutching his polishing rag leaning precariously into thin air ......the guy perched on the boiler had a bit of a scary ride on the turntable when I inevitably forgot to remove him. http://yourmodelrailway.net/images/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

At one stage I wasnt going to bother but finally decided to sacrifice one of the new roads for this static display......the road is wired up and could be used in the future, but right now County of Chester aint going anywhere.........decoder long since removed and redeployed

1187085283_LocoCloseup.jpg.5b9a04ac1d055040eb63674a59ba732a.jpg

Not sure how much labour would have been available for this sort of cleaning in 1948.........I thought it might look moderately credible with Hawksworth's brand new County Class........as a last resort I could add 4 head lamps and create an impending Royal Visit to North Wales

Overall.jpg.116a4bd58a850cae725b163e9061dff9.jpg

So thats it.......all done

post-465-0-92229700-1544554893_thumb.jpg

Now I just have to repair and replace the station roof..........the whole area got pretty devastated during the turntable installation.....most of the station passengers got flattened and need repositioning.

Regards from a very wet Vancouver.........well its wet here at 600' on the North Shore Mountains but snowing heavily at 950'.......could be a White Christmas

John

Edited by john dew
  • Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Regards from a very wet Vancouver.........well its wet here at 600' on the North Shore Mountains but snowing heavily at 950'.......could be a White Christmas

How interesting. We're at about 600' (200 m) and we're also on what's known as the Upper North Shore. We're definitely not on a mountain though and we're even more definitely not expecting a white Christmas...

All the best John to you and yours.

• RMweb Premium

The cameo with the cleaners is outstanding John.  And good use of an otherwise "dead" loco.

Hawksworth Counties get knocked too much in my opinion.  I won't hesitate to run my two.

The hard work on the whole shed corner, including the back-scene has taken this area from good to great.

• RMweb Gold

How interesting. We're at about 600' (200 m) and we're also on what's known as the Upper North Shore. We're definitely not on a mountain though and we're even more definitely not expecting a white Christmas...

All the best John to you and yours.

Thank you John

Both North and West Vancouver are on the lower slopes of the Coastal Mountain range which rise to 3,000'  and provide a spectacular backdrop to Vancouver proper. The rain has stopped now and I dont think the snow fell as low as predicted....we can usually see the snow line if its at 900'...........so maybe we wont have a white Christmas after all.......one things for certain we wont be going down to the beach for a barbie. I often wonder how we would have coped with the culture shock of Christmas in mid summer.

Best wishes to you and your family

John

• RMweb Gold

The cameo with the cleaners is outstanding John.  And good use of an otherwise "dead" loco.

Hawksworth Counties get knocked too much in my opinion.  I won't hesitate to run my two.

The hard work on the whole shed corner, including the back-scene has taken this area from good to great.

Hi Tinker

I, too, am quite fond of my Counties. I have had them a long time, I think the Dapol model dates back to Granby I so thats 25 years!  Both have Ringfield motors but I successfully replaced the bushes on County of Worcester and she is regularly used on the eight coach XP schedule. From time to time I contemplate buying a Hornby Railroad model........I believe they are known to be reliable performers even if the detail is lacking?

Thanks for the comments on the shed.....thats very kind of you. I see you spotted glimpses of the new backscene.....apart from creating cameos I have been busy building long runs of Scalescene walls......more to come!

Best Wishes

John   

• RMweb Premium

I often wonder how we would have coped with the culture shock of Christmas in mid summer.

It wasn't too bad, although three years in Singapore before moving here helped make the transition.

We quickly established a tradition, which is to have Christmas cake and champagne for brunch, outside on the terrace, on Christmas morning. Sets up the rest of the day very nicely...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Granby's shed renovation is finally complete. http://yourmodelrailway.net/images/emoticons/happy10.gif

Last week the blue bin bag was removed and I repositioned 52 passengers and station staff .....I had forgotten quite how many I had there. The roof was repaired, the buildings replaced and I was finally able to run trains through the station again.

This project has taken almost eight months to complete and I must confess there have been moments of self doubt. The jar of ballast emptied into a brand new turntable being the ultimate low point http://yourmodelrailway.net/images/emoticons/icon_redface.gifhttp://yourmodelrailway.net/images/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Thank you all for your support and encouragement as you followed me on this winding journey.

To wrap it all up, I thought I would re-post some photos taken during the demolition in May followed by shots taken from the equivalent position last week

1764518877_1rear.jpg.474df7455e3ec78b5634a91710ba68a0.jpg

1970781539_1aRooffromfront.jpg.4df3fdb517ea12027f4718f64b4854f6.jpg

1b.jpg.6f62507b5375e90129a90a4e3a9785be.jpg

971156758_3aExtn.jpg.b59f4125e9aa957d1cb765e84f0f3df3.jpg

957100040_4Extension.jpg.977441a01b05e19022049c744e7c91df.jpg

2093100735_4aLMSShed.jpg.adffa2df564e323a4d6bcd868a08a8fa.jpg

1401803558_5before.jpg.638547c8f99d08435088d9186a680e9f.jpg

1450285841_5aAfteroverhead.jpg.b778b0a7f0b22f31b48a11c52ad82735.jpg

54639943_5aFrontBW.jpg.64d1741f2bd97d5d92c2cd8c29bf5670.jpg

Lastly...... four of the finalists rehearsing for the Loco line up video that I hope to shoot between Christmas and New Year

1896758708_7Lineup.jpg.e0daa8246e107f0d2f4681abc8e9182c.jpg

The somewhat ambitious plan is for me to press one button on the computor switchboard following which four different sized locos (facing in both directions) will progress through the shed entry roads....each stopping for coal with the tender positioned under the coal chute before finally finishing up ....all facing the same direction...... in their designated shed road.

Nothing like a challenge to start the New Year!

Seasons Greetings from Vancouver

John

Edited by john dew
photos 6/9/22
  • Like 12

• RMweb Gold

What a world you have created John, and all very believable too.

That operational sequence does sound challenging. Of course, I don't doubt that the GWR locos will make it, but those LMS types... :-)

• RMweb Gold

1002429116_XmasCard.jpg.358da9e12cdd802388053ae9626dd35c.jpg

MERRY CHRISTMAS FROM GRANBY JUNCTION

Best wishes to all Granby's followers particularly those who offered advice and comments or clicked assorted buttons throughout 2018. Your support has always been a great boost to my morale.........many many thanks

A happy modeller in Vancouver

Edited by john dew
  • Like 8

The updates to your Engine Shed section are first class and as usual your little cameos of figures and machinery add even more interest, Can I ask where you get your research information from as I don't suppose that there will be sources available locally.

• RMweb Gold

The updates to your Engine Shed section are first class and as usual your little cameos of figures and machinery add even more interest, Can I ask where you get your research information from as I don't suppose that there will be sources available locally.

Hi Richard

Thank you for those comments that is very kind of you.

Research?......you are right not too many sources available in Vancouver. Over the years I have collected a handful of books which are very useful.....Stephen Williams GWR Branch Line Modelling, Paul Karau GWR Branch Line Termini, Bob Essery’s books on Operations and the GWR Encyclopedia are the most well thumbed.

I guess my primary source of information now is RMweb! I am an avid follower of ANTB........threads like GWR post war Hall liveries are brilliant and I have been lucky enough to get advice and encouragement from some very knowlegeable members. I must admit that I do get a lot of enjoyment from trying to get the detail look right for 1948.

Best wishes

John

• RMweb Gold

I guess my primary source of information now is RMweb! I am an avid follower of ANTB......

Best wishes

John

Flattery will get you anywhere John. Wishing you a very Merry Christmas and maybe Hornby will release something in January we can discuss in detail on ANTB.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Flattery will get you anywhere John. Wishing you a very Merry Christmas and maybe Hornby will release something in January we can discuss in detail on ANTB.

Thank you Robin.

I get the sense that you and Mike have some inside info! Definitely looking forward to the New Year

Have a great Christmas

Best wishes

John

• 2 weeks later...

John,

With the passage of many many months I forgot how inspiring your layout is in terms of detail and really interesting highlights. I particularly enjoyed seeing the static steam engine and the engine cleaning crew. They add much atmosphere to the layout with each vignette in your layout part of an overall story. I shall be a more proactive viewer over the next 12 months.

Regards,

Anthony Ashley

Welsh Dragon rail 

• RMweb Gold

Hi Anthony

Good to hear from you and thank you for the kind comments. I have just been catching up on your layout thread .......your mountain building exercise is quite amazing.

Best wishes

John