Working Semaphore Signals

charliepetty

• RMweb Gold

But being web based and not in the UK you have nothing like the market prescence and coverage that DC Kits has. If you attended the number of exhibitions, geographically/variety wise that DC Kits does annually, together with the magazine advertising they do, not to mention their unique sales style :shout_mini: :clapping_mini: you may have found sales were better.

Often in surveys many have said they want RTP, cost effective, 'signals'. From Richards reply above that if placed in the wagon-coach price band he'd buy generic style, I think Charlies in with a good punt. I think Richard would be quite typical of many modellers who want 'signals', (ideally to their preferred company design but not a show stopper), and I don't think the price range suggested is unrealistic if compared to a decent wagon or coach. With a branch terminus you could only be investing in a couple of signals anyway, so the cost spread over a layout isn't very great.

Your final sentence makes a very pertinent point. On any layout with a realistic track plan the signalling should be relatively simple (large and complex track layouts excepted of course) and that should be the case with most home layouts I would think. The only complication for most folk is going to be a splitting signal of some sort approaching a terminus with more than one passenger platform. Everything else is likely to be single signals although introducing proper sighting considerations will affect their height and form. For those modelling a double line through station things will be even simpler.

Thus a range of straight post signals would be suitable for a large percentage of layouts, adding a two or three doll bracket would be the icing on the initial cake I think. The Ratio range of GW square post signals from the 1960s seemed popular at the time and were also sometimes kitbashed into a passable 4 doll bracket - as such I think they met most needs of GW modellers.

Your final sentence makes a very pertinent point. On any layout with a realistic track plan the signalling should be relatively simple (large and complex track layouts excepted of course) and that should be the case with most home layouts I would think. The only complication for most folk is going to be a splitting signal of some sort approaching a terminus with more than one passenger platform. Everything else is likely to be single signals although introducing proper sighting considerations will affect their height and form. For those modelling a double line through station things will be even simpler.

Thus a range of straight post signals would be suitable for a large percentage of layouts, adding a two or three doll bracket would be the icing on the initial cake I think. The Ratio range of GW square post signals from the 1960s seemed popular at the time and were also sometimes kitbashed into a passable 4 doll bracket - as such I think they met most needs of GW modellers.

Any photo's to use for research would be helpfull. Charlie

• RMweb Gold

The Ratio range of GW square post signals from the 1960s seemed popular at the time and were also sometimes kitbashed into a passable 4 doll bracket - as such I think they met most needs of GW modellers.

Just found an old negative of something I had in the 1960's. Sorry about the quality but it shows what was available then.

The signal by the WC is a Ratio square post, whilst the Deltic is standing at a Ratio tubular post with sight boards added. IIRC they even had transparent specs.

It doesn't show up but there was also a wall mounted bracket adapted from a Ratio signal on the retaining wall in the background

Around 1977 to 1981 I had a layout based on a joint line, fully signalled but unfortunately non-working in most cases, with GWR, LMS and LNWR signals all constructed from Ratio kits, Plasticard and various plastic sections

post-9767-0-91319600-1294607898_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Just to throw in a bit of a wild card late in the day and sorry to disagree with the Gert Western faction, but I think a manufacturer wanting to introduce a range of 'ready to plonk' semaphores could do worse than to copy the old Hornby Dublo range, i.e. upper quadrants on square posts in a variety of configurations, which in generic terms would suit the (ex) LNER and LMS areas as both companies modernised existing signals by fitting upper quadrants to older timber posts or installed timber post signals of their own; possibly the Southern did too but don't quote me on that.

I know some modellers who seek out old HD signals at toy fairs etc. for that reason - they were well proportioned models for their day, unlike the current Hornby offerings. The solenoids on the electrically operated versions were reasonably contained within the bases as well, although no doubt modern technology would offer an improvement on that.

I think there is a certain amount of wheel re-invention going on here. You might be surprised to know exactly what is available, just use Google to find out. However if you expect to be able to buy it at your local Model Shop or Show, don't hold your breath. Direct sales are the only way to keep costs down these days.

• RMweb Gold

Any photo's to use for research would be helpfull. Charlie

Sorry Charlie but I somehow overlooked (polite word for 'missed') this post - how many dozen would you like and of what variety? At present I still can't do any scanning but I've got a few hundred detail pics of semaphores taken specifically to show the detail (and I bet Beast has a few toowink.gif).

• RMweb Gold

Sorry Charlie but I somehow overlooked (polite word for 'missed') this post - how many dozen would you like and of what variety? At present I still can't do any scanning but I've got a few hundred detail pics of semaphores taken specifically to show the detail (and I bet Beast has a few toowink.gif).

Beast has already offered, and drawings too but I think Charlie overlooked that post ;) :lol:

Ratio had a range of tubular post GWR signals before that, dating from the mid-1960s. These could be made up in all manner of arrangements.

I know. Ratio brought them back into the range some years ago. They are available as single post or bracket kits.

The square-post GW LQ kits have never been off the market as far as I know, but the tooling started slipping years ago. I remember buying a pack in the early 1980s, and the mouldings were out of register even back then!

• RMweb Gold

Charlie,

My suggestion would be some generic BR semaphores in 4mm scale of the type that were often use to replace knackered pregrouping and grouping era specimens. The majority of modellers work in the Nationalisation / postnationalisation era so this would cover the widest possible market.

I'd certainly have some for my new layout.

Charlie,

My suggestion would be some generic BR semaphores in 4mm scale of the type that were often use to replace knackered pregrouping and grouping era specimens. The majority of modellers work in the Nationalisation / postnationalisation era so this would cover the widest possible market.

I'd certainly have some for my new layout.

You mean something like this LNER signal?post-6948-0-49300200-1294751034_thumb.jpg

Not necessarily kits but If you have a look at Supplier Text - a very useful resource in my view, I'm sure you will find what you are looking for, or you could just Google 'Model Railway Signals'.

Still no ready to plant British semaphore signals though, Cravens Models comes up but its continental colour light.

There was someone who may have had something in sellers.txt under ecscenics.co.uk but the website had nothing about signals on it.

Viable market for Charlie here really some some basic upper quadrant posts. Get a mini servo in the base allowing quite a small hole through to fix them and you'll be doing well.

Still no ready to plant British semaphore signals though, Cravens Models comes up but its continental colour light.

There was someone who may have had something in sellers.txt under ecscenics.co.uk but the website had nothing about signals on it.

Viable market for Charlie here really some some basic upper quadrant posts. Get a mini servo in the base allowing quite a small hole through to fix them and you'll be doing well.

Sorry, you seemed to have missed it in suppliers.txt. I'll reply PM. ecscenics only ever did the servo part and never did get around to doing signals - they don't do that any more anyway.

Thats just it though, with the wide geographical and volume coverage of shows that Charlie does with his DC sales hat on, he's very well placed to sell easily into whats likely I think to be a very receptive market. Once the word gets round that they're available from him/his stand, (I imagine show punters would hearabout them being available quite easily ;) ), if they meet the price/quality hurdles, I think he'll be laughing all the way to the bank.

Thing is Ratio Signals (i.e. Peco) supply a basic GWR square post signal in plastic. Plastic is not the strongest material in the world and signals are quite vulnerable things. If they don't see a demand for what people want at the price they are prepared to pay then, I don't think so. After all they must be in possession of the necessary data to make a commercial decision. BTW Charlie already sells Viessemann Semaphore Signals (German of course), can you really see the British market prepared to pay that sort of price (£25.00 or thereabouts) for a simple manual signal even if it is of metal construction (I think)?

• RMweb Gold

Charlie.

I'm coming late into this thread, but I for one would be happy to purchase RTR operating sempahore signals. Ideally the light would operate and there would be coloured spectacles and a working back light arrangement. Also it would be good if the signal mechanism would have other electrical contacts that could be used for train control/protection. Thought could also be given to built in chip for DCC control, but with direct contacts that would enable the signal to be operated on a non DCC layout also.

As my layout is generic transition period, I personally don't mind about the style, and I'm sure a lot of other's won't either. I would go with the flow with whatever style you decide will sell the most. This idea is the one item that has been sadly lacking since Hornby Dublo stopped manufacturing operating sempahores in the 1960s.

Good luck with the venture if you do go ahead.

Colin

• RMweb Premium

Yup. Some sort of generic mechs and parts so that 'we' can play a bit with funny shaped posts and the other detail bits to make some variants. 4mm to suit post 48 and pre 79 would cover a lot of ground.

I'm sure these would suit a lot of folk that fall into mine and Coachman's (see previous post) camp whereby we just want something that looks more or less right and actually works without us having to spend weeks building the thing!

Other folk that want the 'right' fitting for the 'exact' location and era can continue to build and or purchase what's already available.

In fact this is how modelling is with all the other stuff so why not signals?

Peg's Off @ 36E :O

Guest 40-something

Hi Folks

I would welcome working signals, my track plan is very simple and would prob only require 3 or 4 signals of wall bracket mounted home, home and home junction types! Oh any maybe a couple of ground signals!

• RMweb Gold

Other folk that want the 'right' fitting for the 'exact' location and era can continue to build and or purchase what's already available.

Does the same apply to locos / coaches / wagons / buildings / etc ? make some generic ones and tough on those who want something more accurate :rolleyes:

How about a black 4-6-0 with various numbers, that will do for Scots / Castles / Halls / Manors / Black Vs - and folk who want the "right" loco for the "exact" number can continue to build kits.

My comments made - early in this thread - still apply.

• RMweb Gold

I don't think the same applies Dave, a good number of general model railway enthusiasts will know the difference between a hall and a black five, and a B1, and will expect the shape of the loco to look a good enough representation of what they recognise. We see this with Bachy 40's, Hornby Gresley coaches, Heljan 47's etc etc. The same ability to recognise a type of signal, apart from knowing the GWR had signals that went 'down', isn't at the same level as locos and vehicles.

The GWR also had signals which went up and colour lights.

The point (which I made ages ago) is - why make something which is wrong for every railway rather than something which is right for at least some of them ?

Archived