Bradfield, Gloucester Square BR 1962 ish

TheLaird

Was also interested by you use of an inform panel , would be good if you could go into some more detail as to how you have achieved this.

Take a look at post 438, if you want any more info let me know. John E

• RMweb Gold

How this is achieved varies with the different types of exhibit, some will appeal to the general public who might appreciate lots of trains constantly moving, others may appeal to younger members, others to beginners, others to enthusiasts of a particular persuasion etc., but none to all visitors. Therefore each layout ought to have in mind its target audience and gear its performance accordingly. It follows that when putting on an exhibition, managers should be mindful of this and select a mix of layouts accordingly to suit the mix of visitors they hope to attract. So back to Bradfield and our performance, it is my intention to appeal to the enthusiast who shares my interest in trying to recreate the way that the "old" railway used to operate, the general atmosphere of the period and maybe a bit of nostalgia from when we woz kids. I therefore like to operate in a relaxed manner that may mean things happen more slowly with pauses now and then that heighten the expectation.

Totally right. It's not always easy for an exhibition manager to achieve the right mix at a small show. But once you get to around the 20 layout mark, it really should be possible to get a matrix/range of layouts so that there is something for everyone. Much above 25 layouts is, IMHO, counter-productive as no-one can spend enough time looking at each one and have time to do the trade stands. As an exhibition manager you have to think of the trade guys who are contributing so much to the financial viability of running a show.

Don't underestimate the general public. It is not just trains that they like to see moving. Proper signalling (colour-light or, preferably mechanical) does interest many people especially when they can relate it to what each train is doing - which you have covered so well with your VDUs.

Glad to see your signalling thread revived and probably better for technical answers to go there. Only on the very largest layouts do we need full signalling/interlocking. With our reduced spaces, a lot of the signalling will be situated "off-stage" anyway.

............Only on the very largest layouts do we need full signalling/interlocking............

Oh I don't know I'm building a small layout simply to connect it to the fully interlocked lever frame I'm making.............

My sanity has been called into question before !

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Oh I don't know I'm building a small layout simply to connect it to the fully interlocked lever frame I'm making.............

My sanity has been called into question before !

Andy

That's exactly what Tim Venton did: it became Clutton. Quite an example to follow!

Ian

Not sure if this has been asked on here but at the end of the Carriage Sidings in the undergrowth is a tunnel portal, what's the history of this?

The track leading up to it was originally a single track branch that continued through the low relief road bridge, I did consider reopening at one time!!

John E

Hi John E,

I really admire the railway that you have produced, particularly because of the prototypical operational aspect that you have incorporated into the way you run it, which in my view adds a huge additional dimension to the model. I continually find it quite ironic, that operating a model as per a real railway comes quite far down the priority list for many of todays modellers. (not a criticism - just an observation!!)

Regarding interlocking, have you considered using computer control to give you full interlocking of turnouts, block sections and signals. I use TrainController to do this very effectively, the interlocking itself being achieved through a number of simple 'and/or' Macros strung together eg: only turn signal 1 to Off if - turnout 2 is set 'right' AND track section 5 is clear AND signal 4 is On ........etc etc. You can also set up the driving of locos and/or control of turnouts and signals for either automatic or human operation if you wish??

Best wishes and keep up the great work!!!

Mike

Hi John

Ging back a few posts can I ask which of the 2 methods do you use to mount the S&W Couplings, are they mounted below the bufferbeam or on the floor of the stock with a slot on the bufferbeam?

Ian

Hi Ian, I mount them below the buffer beam. I usually use the mounting plates supplied by s&w. I have settled on a height of 10mm from rail level for the bar and have made a small jig to ensure all are at the same height. The reason for the lower than normal height is because I prefer to mount them on the bogies of diesel loco's and bogie stock as I find this more reliable. The couplings stay nearer to the track centre through reverse curves and in alignment with each other. I also mount them on bogie and pony trucks of steam loco's, again for reliability it maintains the height from rail better.

John E.

Hi John E,

Regarding interlocking, have you considered using computer control........

Mike

Thanks Mike for your kind comments. I have considered computer control and will pursue this in the future. One reason I fight shy of it for exhibition purposes is that not all operators are computer literate and I am trying to make the control system as foolproof as possible( the biggest fool being me sometimes!!).

John E

Thanks Mike for your kind comments. I have considered computer control and will pursue this in the future. One reason I fight shy of it for exhibition purposes is that not all operators are computer literate and I am trying to make the control system as foolproof as possible( the biggest fool being me sometimes!!).

John E

Hi John,

I hear what you're saying, but for me the beauty of computer control in that you can design the system of interlocking such that all your operators need to do is to drive to signals, and thus as per the prototype, you achieve a safe operating system. To this end, the computer's involvement is akin to that of mechanical interlocking, in that if set up correctly, a wrong move cannot be made, and it indeed becomes foolproof.

Anyway, just a thought, and I admire the work you're doing

Best wishes

Mike

Hi John,

I hear what you're saying, but for me the beauty of computer control in that you can design the system of interlocking such that all your operators need to do is to drive to signals, and thus as per the prototype, you achieve a safe operating system. To this end, the computer's involvement is akin to that of mechanical interlocking, in that if set up correctly, a wrong move cannot be made, and it indeed becomes foolproof.

Anyway, just a thought, and I admire the work you're doing

Best wishes

Mike

Mike, I agree.

John, if you get a chance, visit Mike Norris' Preston. The signalboxes there are fully interlocked as in the prototype and you cannot pull off any signal without first setting up a correct route. This is all done by computers (or possibly micro processors) but all this computer gizmo stuff is irrelevant to the operator. He simply has to pull the right levers, in the right order, then the driver follows the signals.

I believe this was designed before DCC came along - it should be much simpler to design now.

This is wonderfully realistic way of operating a layout.

Ian

• 3 weeks later...

Thought it was about time I gave an update on things Bradfield! I have been a bit distracted of late doing some preliminary planning for next project and also working on an article for a mag, but with another show looming and some operator training sessions in the pipeline I needed to do some maintenance. Does anyone else have problems with the switches on Tortoise motors? I have had three intermittent failures recently! Solution seems to be to strip them down and clean the contacts, I have also wired the two switches together to provide greater reliability (only time will tell if this works). I have added some green LEDs to the control box to show when a signal is "off", hopefully this will help avoid some of the problems experienced at Nott'm, if not, I have also added an "emergency stop" button!! The more gentle members of the team will also be pleased to know that I have rubbed down and painted the trestles to avoid splinters during set up and strip down. So now, back to playing trains.

19th May, Lutterworth Show. Only two weeks to go!!

• RMweb Gold
Does anyone else have problems with the switches on Tortoise motors? I have had three intermittent failures recently!

Hi,

It's a known issue, although whenever I've mentioned it I have always been shot down in flames. There's a whole topic about it on the Scalefour Society web site here: http://www.scalefour.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=360

My advice is to ignore these switches except for non-critical panel indicator lights, etc. For crossing polarity switching, slave a sealed relay and diode across the Tortoise motor supply. Unlike a micro-switch, that's much easier to fit, needs no adjustment, and no maintenance for the lifetime of the layout.

regards,

Martin.

• RMweb Gold

Does anyone else have problems with the switches on Tortoise motors? I have had three intermittent failures recently!

Never, and we've used the best part of 200 on our layouts, however we pair them so it could be down to the current flowing through a single contact (whereas ours are doubled so the load is halved)

• 1 month later...

I hope it is a compliment, but as my train from Burnley to Leeds pulled into Bradford the other day I actually thought "Dont this look like Bradfield GS" !! :)

Thanks Mickey, a compliment indeed!!

John E

Good to see some more of this excellent layout .....was beginning to think you had "burned out" with exhibitions and 20 pages on this layouts construction in just over a year ..a great achievement...but exhausting ...?

Regards Trevor .. :sungum:

Thanks Trevor. Definitely not burned out but did wonder if maybe people were Bradfielded out, that's why I just put the pictures on to see if there was still interest, I guess there is so watch out for more!!

Archived