Manchester Central, CLC & GN Warehouses & Castlefield Viaducts

Ron Heggs

....Have decided to install a suspended ceiling over the whole railway room to reduce the dust filtering from the concrete ceiling - this is going to be 'interesting' - 'sky hooks' anyone  :scratchhead:

Hopefully it won't collapse later under the weight of the dust  :O

• RMweb Premium

Hi, Gary

The ceiling has been painted, but the dust is definitely from the concrete ceiling. The ceiling is beam and block with the living accommodation above there is always going to be some slight movement due to temperature and loading changes

The incoming ventilation air is filtered, and even with the vents closed there is still an amount of gritty dust accumulated

Ron

One idea for the ceiling might be to use floor paint on it.   Concrete always seesm to produce dust, whether at the bottom of the room or the top and I know that a good thick floor paint stopped a lot of dust in the garage where we restored a horse tram.

Jamie

One idea for the ceiling might be to use floor paint on it.   Concrete always seesm to produce dust, whether at the bottom of the room or the top and I know that a good thick floor paint stopped a lot of dust in the garage where we restored a horse tram.

Jamie

Hi, Jamie

The concrete under surface is sealed by paint, but the vertical mating joints between the blocks and the beams would be better sealed, as it appears this is where the dust is coming from. Sealing all the joints is impractical

Ron

Hi, Gary

The ceiling has been painted, but the dust is definitely from the concrete ceiling. The ceiling is beam and block with the living accommodation above there is always going to be some slight movement due to temperature and loading changes

The incoming ventilation air is filtered, and even with the vents closed there is still an amount of gritty dust accumulated

Ron

try pumping the air into the room. When we were paint spraying it was better to suck the air in from outside through filters. This pressurises the room slightly and all the dust goes out through the cracks not sucked in.

Edited by N15class

Have decided to install a suspended ceiling over the whole railway room to reduce the dust filtering from the concrete ceiling - this is going to be 'interesting' - 'sky hooks' anyone  :scratchhead:

Ron.,

Surely suspended ceilings, and their installation,  are nothing new, are they?

Were I considering such a problem as excessive dust from the original ceiling then I might want to install a couple of extractor fans in an exterior wall, and an adjustable damper in the suspended ceiling at the end/side remote from the extractors,  so that there is a slightly NEGATIVE air-pressure between the original ceiling and the suspended ceiling.  Adjusting the damper will ensure an OUTGOING airflow through the extractors, (wch., of course,  will need cleaning from, time to time.),  and this might handle the problem of the original ceiling's shedding dust.

But I'm sure that, as the man on the spot,  you'll devise a better and a simpler solution.  :)

• RMweb Premium

'Sky Hooks' - now that rings a bell.  I didn't half feel stupid when going into the foreman's office asking for them one day!  Almost as stupid as the 'long wait' I had outside the works office on my second day at work.  Do they still play the newbies up like that anymore?

Love these layout progress shots Ron.  Keep them comming.  Fabulous rate of work and nice to see the speed is no barrier to perfection either.

Mike

As a great deal of printed brickwork was/is needed for the viaducts, I ordered new colour ink cartridges from Amazon.es. Hey presto, the yellow ink was delivered yesterday, the cyan ink is promised for today by the courier, and the magenta is on extended delivery

... and guess what - the cyan has just run out - now await the sound of a diesel engine struggling uphill to our villa

Luckily, magenta and black are all ok for now

Pictures of progress on the viaduct tonight

Ron

• Like 2

The whole layout is now covered with thin plastic sheeting whilst the first section (30m2) of suspended ceiling is being fixed  :O - definitely no pictures of me stretching over the layout, one foot on ladder and one foot in space with masonry drill in hand - isn't DIY great  :jester:

The cyan ink hasn't turned up - if it doesn't get delivered on Monday, may have to drive to nearest outlet some 30 minutes away, and pay over the odds

Ron

stretching over the layout, one foot on ladder and one foot in space with masonry drill in hand

I don't think I could watch that, sounds like the ultimate load test waiting to happen!

Oh, and you could get hurt :(

Hope all goes well

Phil

All the ceiling panel support structure is in place, and the first three panels fixed. Tomorrow, will relocate the lighting below the new ceiling, and continue fixing ceiling panels

.... then it's back to modelling, before tackling the remaining 26mof the railway room

• Like 1

How many cans were used on this test?

OzzyO.

Edit, just seen post No 2215.

Hi, Ozzy

No cans were subjected to damage - these are reserved for bridges, etc.

The suspension points were 6mm screw eyes with plastic plugs into concrete block ceiling, then using 1mm dia wire as the suspension dropper fixed to a test load of 200mm x 200mm x 200mm concrete block - no problems  :no:

The suspension points support 21mm x 45mm timber runners at 750mm centres in their length, with timbers at 650mm centres - the plastic ceiling panels are 375mm x 2600mm x 8mm hollow rib (Grosfillex) - compared to the test load the suspensions are hardly carrying any load. Better to over engineer this structure as sits over the whole layout

Cheers

Ron

• Like 1

Ron

Having seen the picture showing the permanent way for the viaduct what are you planning to use for turnout control/operation?

Pete

Hi, Pete

At this stage not proposing DCC or computer

The point motors will be Seep, and operated via CDUs and with diode matrix route setting - the CDUs have already been built with expansion capability if needed. The diode matrix for route control has also already been designed, and all the components are in my stock box awaiting time to build the circuit boards, and the display control panel

Will post drawings and diagrams nearer the build time

Cheers

Ron

I, for one, am surprised that you haven't constructed your secondary ceiling in the form of gothic fan vaulting - made out of styrene, naturally, and persuasively reminiscent of the cloisters at Gloucester cathedral.  And all built within forty-eight hours, of course!

Cheers,

BR(W).

• Like 2

I, for one, am surprised that you haven't constructed your secondary ceiling in the form of gothic fan vaulting - made out of styrene, naturally, and persuasively reminiscent of the cloisters at Gloucester cathedral.  And all built within forty-eight hours, of course!

Cheers,

BR(W).

Wouldn't want to take anything away from the layout

Think the ceiling height above the train shed would be a problem at only 400mm - couldn't quite execute the vaulting in that space

Cheers

Ron

Ron,

Dont knwo if you have sen this photo before I was searching from something else and came across it

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/661895

Hi, Gary

I have a number of similar pictures of the disused train shed and external canopies. Each one adds a little more detail of the structure without locomotives being the usual main focus

Cheers

Ron

The first section of suspended ceiling has been completed. The relocated lighting below a white ceiling, and which is also now 475mm lower gives much better illumination over the layout - almost like a sunny day in Manchester  :mosking:

No pictures as the layout is still covered by plastic sheeting

Now it's back to modelling for a week, then the remaining area will be tackled

• Like 3

Back on the viaducts. The upper track side walls are being completed

First the south side wall between the CLC Deansgate bridge and the Cornbrook Viaduct bridge #1 -

post-10633-0-51910000-1404843954_thumb.jpg

Looking towards the Cornbrook Viaduct bridge

post-10633-0-55640000-1404844028_thumb.jpg

Looking towards the CLC Deansgate bridge - Plastic sheeting still in place beyond the bridge and across to the train shed

Wall capping to be added

... then the north side wall between the CLC Deansgate bridge and the GN junction -

post-10633-0-43893400-1404843783_thumb.jpg

CLC Deansgate bridge on the left

post-10633-0-50052300-1404843872_thumb.jpg

GN junction on the right

Buttresses, brickwork and wall cappings to be added

The north side of this viaduct will need to be completed before tackling the GN junction viaduct because of the acute angle of the two viaducts at the junction little room will be left to gain suitable modelling access

The supports for the viaduct track bed are displaced from the viaduct arch buttresses due to the position of the turnout motors on the trackwork above, but this isn't visually important as the viaduct arches were closed off by timber and glazing frontages

• Like 11