Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Manchester Central, CLC & GN Warehouses & Castlefield Viaducts

Ron Heggs

How frustrating. This topic has been moved to the bowels of RMweb!!!! I have made a new direct link to your thread so I can continue to watch in awe instead of trawling through about 75 topic categories. I would have thought Layout Topics would cover the building of the bits that go on the layout?

Rant over - back to fighting with Flash animations (don't ask).

Have you tried 'watching' this subject? You can set it to send you an email each time the thread is updated. Just a thought!

Adriano

I "watch" every layout being discussed in the layout topics forum. I just never knew how many categories this website has been divided into. When this thread got moved I went exploring and was shocked to see so many sub-categories etc. are listed and besides, life is too short to be digging. I suppose "watching" your favourites is one way of doing it, but I get too many emails as it is so using the layout topics to see who is posting was for me a cleaner and faster way of keeping up with daily events. I am certainly not interested in the blog format - I would rather follow the entire discussion in one place. But now that I have bookmarked this link directly I will be following along and making the usual mad comments from the sidelines. This is one of the best builds currently on RMweb so i want to be there for the ride!!!!

Sorry Ron - rant over now. I wrote the first rant about 45 minutes ago and still haven't got to the Flash work (you can guess I am deliberately trying to ignore it!!!).

I "watch" every layout being discussed in the layout topics forum. I just never knew how many categories this website has been divided into. When this thread got moved I went exploring and was shocked to see so many sub-categories etc. are listed and besides, life is too short to be digging. I suppose "watching" your favourites is one way of doing it, but I get too many emails as it is so using the layout topics to see who is posting was for me a cleaner and faster way of keeping up with daily events. I am certainly not interested in the blog format - I would rather follow the entire discussion in one place. But now that I have bookmarked this link directly I will be following along and making the usual mad comments from the sidelines. This is one of the best builds currently on RMweb so i want to be there for the ride!!!!

Sorry Ron - rant over now. I wrote the first rant about 45 minutes ago and still haven't got to the Flash work (you can guess I am deliberately trying to ignore it!!!).

HI, Ian

Sorry about the DEEP move. It was suggested that my topics would be better grouped/categorised here in 'Modelling real locations', there are others such as 'Railways in the North West 1950-1960s', 'Big Layouts', etc.

Glad you have decided which way to follow this topic at least

Have you sorted your FLASH yet

Have cut the pipe for the next two piers, but as usual have moved to something different. I have started the cross-braced trusses for the first two span beams N1 & S1. Have to break the tedium from building the same items day after day, so will hop about a bit between item builds on this viaduct, as it is a long repetitive process

Will post a few pics tonight

Cheers

Ron

Cut the pipe for the next two piers, but decided to have a diversion from piers and start the cross-brace trusses for the span beams - mustn't get repetitive tedium syndrome rolleyes.gif

So here starts the cross-braced truss build -

This template is different from the Cornbrook cross-brace truss template, as the truss is wider by 1mm, and the prototype braces are not fixed in pairs at the same point, instead they are fixed separately

40_271751_070000000.jpg

40_271751_080000001.jpg

This template produces 25 trusses at a time

40_271751_080000002.jpg

This assembly is removed from the template, turned over, replaced on the template and the bracing strips added to complete the matrix

40_271751_090000004.jpg

40_271753_020000001.jpg

The matrix is cut up into single cross-braced trusses

40_271753_020000002.jpg

Using the strip cutter a number of 20thou x 2mm and 4mm wide strips are cut

40_271753_030000003.jpg

Two trusses are fitted with the outer lattice strips

One with 4mm strips, where the truss is fixed centrally on the strips, and one with 2mm strips, where the truss is fixed to the edge of the strips as per the prototype

The prototype uses a T section for the wide lattices, and angle section for the narrow lattices

40_271753_290000000.jpg

Each span beam, with the exception of N2, has 5 wide lattices at each end with the remainder being narrow

N2 has all narrow lattices

... to be continued >>>>>

• Like 2

Have you looked at the Lime Street Station thread on the layout topics forum? Wonderful work and a completely different approach to modelling a real location.

So many excellent models on one forum!

Oh well, back to making bricks - 18,960 so far.

Hi,

Thanks for your information - it is very interesting to hear so much is being discussed about my modelling

I hope I can continue to hold everyones' attention for at least the immediate future

Cheers

Ron

... a few pictures of progress this evening -

40_291703_120000000.jpg

Template of N1 span beam - 590mm long x 85mm high

40_291704_000000000.jpg

Span beam side with plain lattice bracings in place

40_291704_210000000.jpg

Span beam side with lattice bracings, four wide and two narrow trusses in place

40_291704_470000000.jpg

40_291705_070000000.jpg

The 20 thou plain plasticard rectangle is used to maintain correct distance between upper and lower span sides, and correct spacing of lattices and trusses when building off-template

The space in the centre of the span side is for the interleaved trusses i.e. no plain lattices

• Like 2

Not a good evening - Span Beam N1 requires 26 trusses - Template only produces 25 at a time

So will have to produce 50 more trusses (template x 2) to ensure I have enough to produce Span beam S1 and finish Span beam N1

Anyway thought you might like to see the interleaved trusses close-up

40_301723_050000000.jpg

40_301723_060000001.jpg

Just a bit tricky as there are 21/2 cross braces between each truss, not two as Cornbrook Viaduct bridge #2, still we will prevail

40_301735_490000000.jpg

All but ready for lattice braces, and remaining face span beam sides/ends

• Like 5

How frustrating. This topic has been moved to the bowels of RMweb!!!! I have made a new direct link to your thread so I can continue to watch in awe instead of trawling through about 75 topic categories. I would have thought Layout Topics would cover the building of the bits that go on the layout?

Rant over - back to fighting with Flash animations (don't ask).

Hello Artzen All,

I know what you mean, this subject has been in my content for a long time, then it disappeared from it. I would have thought that the link would have still worked when it was moved, it didn't.

Anyhow I've found it again.

So now to catch up.

OzzyO.

So here starts the cross-braced truss build -

This template is different from the Cornbrook cross-brace truss template, as the truss is wider by 1mm, and the prototype braces are not fixed in pairs at the same point, instead they are fixed separately

Hello Ron,

when you are doing all the multiple trusses how do you stop the top one from sticking to the bottom one of the next? If you see what I mean.

OzzyO.

Hello Ron,

when you are doing all the multiple trusses how do you stop the top one from sticking to the bottom one of the next? If you see what I mean.

OzzyO.

Hi,

Glad you managed to find my thread again

I can't stop adjacent trusses from sticking to each other, as some Plastic weld inevitably seeps down when fixing the cross bracing strips. I gently parting with a sharp knife blade when cutting through the cross bracing strips to separate the trusses sorts that out

The only alternative would be to miss alternate trusses out, and waste pieces of cross bracing strip.

Cheers

Ron

Just received my copy of MRJ207, and lo and behold I have a mention with 4 photos on Page 158 MRJ Portfolio - Thanks to David Bigcheeseplant (Editor)

Only half the length of the station is shown, as the single spans are not self-supporting, and only half the Cornbrook Viaduct bridge is shown as the bridge wasn't completed before the magazine went to the printers

Ron

Hello Ron,

OzzyO.

Hi,

Have been thinking about this since my last reply, and have come up with a probable solution with minimal waste and no sticking of truss to truss

post-10633-0-26383900-1306874138_thumb.jpg

Each pair of verticals are separated horizontally and vertically by 1mm in each direction

The cross bracing strips are fixed on one side, and then the assembly is turned over and placed on the second template, and the second set of strips fixed

The individual trusses are separated from each other by removal of the 1mm pieces of strip (this is the waste)

The slight down side is that only 22 trusses can be produced from an A4 sized template

But that is no real problem

Cheers

Ron

• Like 2

This is epic modelling.

It would be like modelling Leicester (Great Central) and all the viaduct and bowstring bridge approaches. Or Nottingham Victoria. Or....(insert chosen real city station here)

Hi,

I hope that isn't a subtle way of getting me to build another City Station, etc.yahoo.gif - during my spare time of course rolleyes.gif

My modelling has been stopped since Tuesday, due to me cutting my hands and arms clearing a large swaithe of bamboo at the cats' refuge where I do diy work for the charity one day a week. Hopefully my hands will have recovered enough to start doing the dexterity finger work again by Monday

In the meantime, I will be catching up on some more drawing work for the viaducts (brickwork card, etc.)

Cheers

Ron

I do that all the time, using a scalpel when shaving things off my Prototype Deltic!

Hi,

I can honestly say that I have never cut myself with my knives when modelling. Perhaps bigger knives, cutters and saws then bigger chance of something going awry unsure.gif

Cheers

Ron

Sorry to disappoint you, but some gardening is necessary

I have just received a batch of photos from Richard_T - a few of them illustrate the Eastern end of the Castlefield Viaduct which is being modelled

The blue/grey engineering brick facings/etc. are being generated/printed off on card ready for the mountcard construction of the eastern viaduct abutment, etc.

40_040603_270000003.jpg

I don't know which is worse grime or lack of weed control on a listed monument

The viaduct in the foreground is the Salford branch off the MSJ&AR line passing under both the Cornbrook and Castlefield Viaducts

40_040603_280000004.jpg

Two examples of drainage arrangements -

Left - could do with being extended/replaced

Right - a bit OTT engineered arrangement (what would we do without plumbers rolleyes.gif)

40_040606_150000000.jpg

40_040606_150000001.jpg

Multiple arched construction - to save on hardcore fill on this skewed viaduct abutment

Interestingly, the rail side and South side of this viaduct are in red brick

40_040606_160000003.jpg

High level view looking West

40_040603_270000002.jpg

View of the underside looking West (have I got to build all these piers, and more ?)

40_040603_260000001.jpg

View of Spans N2, N3, N4, etc. (my designations)

40_040603_260000000.jpg

View looking East of N1, N2 & N3 Spans

All photos copyright of Richard_T

Will post details of cardbuild as it progresses

• Like 2

In answer to your question -

View of the underside looking West (have I got to build all these piers, and more ?)

Yes! You do! Because we are all watching and eagerly awaiting further developments. Now I am beginning to see just how complex and huge this model is going to be! The size of this elephant is truly scary (one small piece of plastic at a time). yes.gif

Sorry to disappoint you, but some gardening is necessary

I have just received a batch of photos from Richard_T - a few of them illustrate the Eastern end of the Castlefield Viaduct which is being modelled

The blue/grey engineering brick facings/etc. are being generated/printed off on card ready for the mountcard construction of the eastern viaduct abutment, etc.

40_040603_270000003.jpg

I don't know which is worse grime or lack of weed control on a listed monument

The viaduct in the foreground is the Salford branch off the MSJ&AR line passing under both the Cornbrook and Castlefield Viaducts

40_040603_280000004.jpg

Two examples of drainage arrangements -

Left - could do with being extended/replaced

Right - a bit OTT engineered arrangement (what would we do without plumbers rolleyes.gif)

40_040606_150000000.jpg

40_040606_150000001.jpg

Multiple arched construction - to save on hardcore fill on this skewed viaduct abutment

Interestingly, the rail side and South side of this viaduct are in red brick

40_040606_160000003.jpg

High level view looking West

40_040603_270000002.jpg

40_040603_260000001.jpg

View of Spans N2, N3, N4, etc. (my designations)

40_040603_260000000.jpg

View looking East of N1, N2 & N3 Spans

All photos copyright of Richard_T

Will post details of cardbuild as it progresses

Hi Ron,

So will you be modelling the trees on the viaducts as well B) in which case how many 'forest in a box' boxes will you be needing :laugh: One thing I meant to ask, but not sure if you have already mentioned it, but have you done all the Cad work you require for the whole project, or is it you do one building at a time to give yourself a break? Got to say that the lattice work is looking tremendous.

Colin

• Like 1

Hi Ron,

So will you be modelling the trees on the viaducts as well B) in which case how many 'forest in a box' boxes will you be needing :laugh: One thing I meant to ask, but not sure if you have already mentioned it, but have you done all the Cad work you require for the whole project, or is it you do one building at a time to give yourself a break? Got to say that the lattice work is looking tremendous.

Colin

Hi, Colin

The nearest to 'forest in a box' scenics will be the odd swaithe of weeds around the canal areas. Strangely, virtually no weeds were found on the track or against bridges before steam dissappeared (either maintenance was better or the weeds couldn't fight their way through the 'muck & bullets')

All structures have been drawn in CAD with the exception of the MSJ&AR viaduct/bridges, the canal wharf structures, and (Deansgate East side shops,etc., and a few terraced houses on Bridgewater Street, and adjacent streets - which will be subject to width of baseboard in this area and backscenes) - most of those drawn in CAD have been redrawn in Paint with all the appropriate brickwork/bonds/colouring, etc. ready for printing onto card for mountcard assembly

Cheers

Ron

In answer to your question -

Yes! You do! Because we are all watching and eagerly awaiting further developments. Now I am beginning to see just how complex and huge this model is going to be! The size of this elephant is truly scary (one small piece of plastic at a time). yes.gif

Hi, Ian

I left myself wide open again with that comment rolleyes.gif

It always looks a bit daunting at the beginning, but planning, patience and perseverance gets the job finished, and when it is completed you wonder what all the fears and fuss was about yes.gif

Cheers

Ron