Manchester Central, CLC & GN Warehouses & Castlefield Viaducts

Ron Heggs

Hello Ron.

Thank you for posting the pictures and the information about where the wagon lifts where. GMEX and Bridgewater Hall are fairly regular visits for me. It's interesting to realise just how much the useage of that area has all changed. Like I mentioned earlier, the undercroft of the old station is usually first port of call for parking up while working at GMEX and although I had a good idea that area was probably goods storage I had no idea that wagons where actually lowered down to the various levels.

Very impressed with your previous creations by the way!

Thanks, Nile

The Bridgewater Hall was built partly over what was the site of Lower Moseley Street Bus Station - North Western Road Car/Ribble/Crosville and many other Bus Companies used this as the Manchester Bus Terminus

The model pictures were included because my archive pictures of this area are all copyrighted - The proper build of this area will be a little more precise and less amateurish - have learnt a lot about modelling and materials/finishes since 2005

Cheers

Ron

Just a few pics. to keep you up-to-date on the build progress

- transverse tie beams completed for bays 5,6,7 & 8

- transverse tie beam bracing ties bottom flanges in progress - bays 7 & 8 complete , bays 5 & 6 being fitted

post-10633-0-43068600-1316032677_thumb.jpg

post-10633-0-29172700-1316032700_thumb.jpg

post-10633-0-06928100-1316032725_thumb.jpg

Bays 3, 4 & 9 will be next to be built when the above bays are complete

... to be continued >>>>>

• Like 14

Ron

Your waggon lift mechanism - it may be worth checking out the conctruction methods used by Ian Worthington and Karl Crowther on "Cornwallis Yard"s wagon lift. Essentialy it was a just a scissors construction of brass under the wagon table, pivoted on the table at one end of the scissors but with a roller on the other end allowing the scissors, when opened up, to push the wagon hoist table up. It is propelled by a motor driven screw thread onto one of the scissors arms, so when the thread turns it opens up the scissors. Its been in both MRJ and BRM but a good few years ago now (3 or 4) but i cant remember which issues.

Andy

Ron

Your waggon lift mechanism - it may be worth checking out the conctruction methods used by Ian Worthington and Karl Crowther on "Cornwallis Yard"s wagon lift. Essentialy it was a just a scissors construction of brass under the wagon table, pivoted on the table at one end of the scissors but with a roller on the other end allowing the scissors, when opened up, to push the wagon hoist table up. It is propelled by a motor driven screw thread onto one of the scissors arms, so when the thread turns it opens up the scissors. Its been in both MRJ and BRM but a good few years ago now (3 or 4) but i cant remember which issues.

Andy

Hi, Andy

Thanks. Yes, I remember that article - still have a copy of it in my past mag. article files - very similar concept to the scissor jack

Cheers

Ron

Just a few pics. to keep you up-to-date on the build progress

- transverse tie beams completed for bays 5,6,7 & 8

- transverse tie beam bracing ties bottom flanges in progress - bays 7 & 8 complete , bays 5 & 6 being fitted

post-10633-0-43068600-1316032677_thumb.jpg

post-10633-0-29172700-1316032700_thumb.jpg

post-10633-0-06928100-1316032725_thumb.jpg

Bays 3, 4 & 9 will be next to be built when the above bays are complete

... to be continued >>>>>

Hi Ron,

Have to say that your train shed roof looks stunning now and can only imagine how it will look once it is finished. :clapping_mini:

Colin

Now your just showing off! lol! looking great. can't wait to see the boards and track laying started!

Hi, Ian

Certainly not showing off - just keeping everyone abreast of my progress, as I seem to have an extensive following whom I must keep up-to-date and hopefully interested in my one-man model-build

I am certainly looking forward to the real layout build - baseboards, track, ballasting, signalling, locating the structures and detailing the environment - and in there electrics and control as well - there really is a long way to go, but relishing every minute

Cheers

Ron

PS. Hope you are settling in OK in Dunbarton

Edited by Ron Heggs

Hi Ron,

Have to say that your train shed roof looks stunning now and can only imagine how it will look once it is finished. :clapping_mini:

Colin

Thanks again Colin, for your praise

Just a few more spans, painting and fixing to the support structure, which will become part of the baseboard and incorporate the drop-down track/platform board

Once the roof structure is complete it will be clad and glazed, and the walls affixed - then it will look the Station I remember (albeit without the front and rear canopies, etc.)

Cheers

Ron