Remaining beams fixed

post-10633-0-89774600-1316907518_thumb.jpg

Overall view of bays #5-#9

.. four span bracings still to be added

Next bay to be added will be #4

... to be continued >>>>>

• Like 8

Thanks Ian, Mike, Sir D and Stefan !!

When bay #4 is completed, there will only be the 17 transverse tie beams required to construct bay #3 which connects directly to the existing bays #1, #2 and front gable

These 17 beams will have to be painted first, as bays #2, etc. are already painted, which also means that bays #4-#9 will need to be painted before they can all be connected together

But before that a quick load test needs to be carried out, probably tomorrow evening if I can get it all rigged up :rolleyes:

Cheers

Ron

Edited by Ron Heggs

Well I'll go to the bottom of our stairs !!

SWMBO asked when I was going to do the load test whilst she was about to get our evening meal ready. I said probably tomorrow, and she said "why not now and I'll get the cans out of the fridge" :triniti:

So here it is ably assisted by SWMBO -

post-10633-0-71944200-1316971333_thumb.jpg

The rigging - 5 metres of yellow polyester string and a 6mm x 600mm x 200mm ply platform, enough for a five span - four bay test :scratchhead:

post-10633-0-92914300-1316971565_thumb.jpg

Note the professional rigging and attachment points :no:

post-10633-0-32695600-1316971129_thumb.jpg

Five cans up - one under each span

post-10633-0-06051500-1316971251_thumb.jpg

Nine cans up - extras one per bay - that's 3kg (6.6lbs) :scare:

Problems - none

Deflection - 2mm vertical drop at apex - Span legs moved outwards 5mm each side (they weren't restrained as they will be when fixed to the baseboard/platforms

That's a successful test :imsohappy:

:drink_mini:

Ron

• Like 9

You must have nerves of steel. If I'd spent all that time building something as delicate as that I wouldn't be able to bring myself to pile one can on, never mind that many.

I'm green with envy at all the work you've done, and don't envy you the work still to do.

You must have nerves of steel. If I'd spent all that time building something as delicate as that I wouldn't be able to bring myself to pile one can on, never mind that many.

I'm green with envy at all the work you've done, and don't envy you the work still to do.

Hi,

Thanks for your comments

Whilst the material is only styrene, the structure shows the strength of the prototype design - I'm only copying it as best I can within the limits of the materials being used

If the test caused a failure it would be relatively easy to repair - I only place one can at a time and check for any extreme deflections as the test proceeds - I am not trying to test to destruction, but to get a real feeling for the inherent strength in the model

When I first started the builds for the layout more than six years ago, the task looked almost unachievable knowing that everything had to be scratchbuilt (except for the RTR rolling stock), but now it has become part of my daily hobby and I enjoy it to the full, and even more so knowing that there are still some big challenges ahead

Cheers

Ron

Certainly a more impressive model of the station this will be than the architects model for the area on display in the GNR warehouse.

Not the best shot, taken before I went down into the canal tunnel under the warehouse (official tour while I was out on a date!). Some impressive remains of hydraulic lift towers down there too (see http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=53777 , looks like a giant kiln!) also impressive were the milk chocolate looking rivers of mud down there!

post-174-0-82917300-1316987537_thumb.jpg

That load test is very impressive as were the bridge ones.

Are you intending on modelling the Albert Hall opposite the warehouse yard by the way? That is another very impressive building http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=62579 .

Keep up the great build!

Certainly a more impressive model of the station this will be than the architects model for the area on display in the GNR warehouse.

Not the best shot, taken before I went down into the canal tunnel under the warehouse (official tour while I was out on a date!). Some impressive remains of hydraulic lift towers down there too (see http://www.28dayslat...ead.php?t=53777 , looks like a giant kiln!) also impressive were the milk chocolate looking rivers of mud down there!

post-174-0-82917300-1316987537_thumb.jpg

That load test is very impressive as were the bridge ones.

Are you intending on modelling the Albert Hall opposite the warehouse yard by the way? That is another very impressive building http://www.28dayslat...ead.php?t=62579 .

Keep up the great build!

Hi, Craig

Slightly different scale and level of detail

The canal ran under the GNR goods yard just 60ft South of the GNR Goods Warehouse with two internal hoists adjacent to the South Wall and served all five floor levels

The tests were just to check the structural strength of the models, as they will receive a lot of handling before being finally fixed on the layout

Unfortunately, the Albert Hall and a number of other landmark buildings are off the extent of the layout baseboard - the layout will only just fit in the available space with minimal access all round

Thanks for information and kind comments

Cheers

Ron

Well I'll go to the bottom of our stairs !!

SWMBO asked when I was going to do the load test whilst she was about to get our evening meal ready. I said probably tomorrow, and she said "why not now and I'll get the cans out of the fridge" :triniti:

So here it is ably assisted by SWMBO -

post-10633-0-71944200-1316971333_thumb.jpg

The rigging - 5 metres of yellow polyester string and a 6mm x 600mm x 200mm ply platform, enough for a five span - four bay test :scratchhead:

post-10633-0-92914300-1316971565_thumb.jpg

Note the professional rigging and attachment points :no:

post-10633-0-32695600-1316971129_thumb.jpg

Five cans up - one under each span

post-10633-0-06051500-1316971251_thumb.jpg

Nine cans up - extras one per bay - that's 3kg (6.6lbs) :scare:

Problems - none

Deflection - 2mm vertical drop at apex - Span legs moved outwards 5mm each side (they weren't restrained as they will be when fixed to the baseboard/platforms

That's a successful test :imsohappy:

:drink_mini:

Ron

:blink: :blink: :clapping_mini: :drink_mini: (Totally speechless!)

Colin

Ron I'm speechless .................................................................................................................................................................

OzzyO.

Edited by ozzyo

Ron I'm speechless .................................................................................................................................................................

OzzyO.

Hi, Ozzy

I hope this isn't the start of a lager induced virus attack - Speechlessness :unsure:

Thanks much appreciated

Ron