Manchester Central, CLC & GN Warehouses & Castlefield Viaducts

Ron Heggs

I only spotted this great thread a few days ago, but as it happens, back in June I recently visited Manchester for the first time in decades, and spent some time in the Castlefields area. I'd never even heard of Castlefields before, but was fascinated by the sheer amount of wonderful railway architecture in such a small area. To say that your work is doing it justice is a huge understatement.

For the benefit of anyone who's not been to the area, I hope you won't mind if, by way of tribute to your work, I post some snaps of the Castlefields viaducts taken on my mobile phone on my recent visit.

post-6742-0-49684000-1317158304_thumb.jpgpost-6742-0-30635500-1317158334_thumb.jpgpost-6742-0-75995100-1317158389_thumb.jpgpost-6742-0-81619500-1317158416_thumb.jpg

Many thanks again for the pleasure this thread has given me so far!

Edited by Steve K
  • Like 6

I only spotted this great thread a few days ago, but as it happens, back in June I recently visited Manchester for the first time in decades, and spent some time in the Castlefields area. I'd never even heard of Castlefields before, but was fascinated by the sheer amount of wonderful railway architecture in such a small area. To say that your work is doing it justice is a huge understatement.

For the benefit of anyone who's not been to the area, I hope you won't mind if, by way of tribute to your work, I post some snaps of the Castlefields viaducts taken on my mobile phone on my recent visit.

post-6742-0-49684000-1317158304_thumb.jpgpost-6742-0-30635500-1317158334_thumb.jpgpost-6742-0-75995100-1317158389_thumb.jpgpost-6742-0-81619500-1317158416_thumb.jpg

Many thanks again for the pleasure this thread has given me so far!

Hi, Steve

Thanks for posting your pictures - I can't see enough pictures, as each one reveals another detail which might otherwise be missed

It's good to hear you found you visit to Castlefield of interest, and that you are finding my thread of some additional enjoyment

Cheers

Ron

Hello boogaloo,

where's Mancychester?

Sorry for that Ron.

OzzyO.

I't about 50 miles east of Blitherpool (but we don't like to mention that place too often ;) ). It actually isn't a typo and it is manky in places and always rains but there's nowhere I'd rather be. Hijack put to rest.

Boogy

Edited by boogaloo

Ron

Most of us are gobsmacked at your modelling skills and your ability to reproduce these structures in miniture. The photos just show how lifelike they are. I do hope we are going to see a narrow boat with your good self at the helm.

Hi, John

No narrow boats I'm afraid, except maybe the odd scuttled one

But I may be vain enough to place myself on Platform 6, waiting to board the Palatine or Midland Pullman, which I used to do in the early 1960s

Cheers

Ron

• RMweb Premium

I hope that you've been glued to the TV this last week for all the coverage of the Tory Conference. The low angle shots of David cameron sowed some nice details of the inside of the roof. Far more interesting than the content of the speech.

Jamie

• Like 1

I hope that you've been glued to the TV this last week for all the coverage of the Tory Conference. The low angle shots of David cameron sowed some nice details of the inside of the roof. Far more interesting than the content of the speech.

Jamie

Hi, Jamie

No TV - have been away the last four days on a walking break, so missed it - I would have anyway as I very rarely watch TV, and especially political broadcasts/news

Cheers

Ron

On my return from my four day break - in the post was a package from PPD with the spandrel etches for the Train Shed roof - super efficient 2 weeks including the delivery to Spain

A pic. of just one of the two sheets of 18 each -

post-10633-0-68828800-1317922339_thumb.jpg

These will really put the finishing touch to the structure

Edited by Ron Heggs
  • Like 7

Is that wooden planking I see going over the top of the roof? And the colour looks different as well - have you started painting the structure?

Makes me want to go and make more bricks and start a building!

Just a couple of quick pics. showing one of the spandrels temporarily in place - will look much better with the walls, etc. fitted

Wow! In my simple mind, I could not work out how the etches would sit on the model. All clear now - and by the way they look superb.

Chris.

Is that wooden planking I see going over the top of the roof? And the colour looks different as well - have you started painting the structure?

Makes me want to go and make more bricks and start a building!

Hi, Ian

The 'wooden planking' are timber steps used as access the to the longitudinal roof maintenance walkways - they have yet to be weathered - probably dirty grey (grime weathered timber)

The 'painting' is the the first two bays at the front gable end - done a couple of years ago - basic colour is cream, which wil need a very heavy weathering (smoke/steam/grime)

Cheers

Ron

Wow! In my simple mind, I could not work out how the etches would sit on the model. All clear now - and by the way they look superb.

Chris.

Hi, Chris

Thanks - They will be fitted with all round mouldings to retain them in place, as the prototype, so should look part of the structure and not just an add-on

Cheers

Ron