Manchester Central, CLC & GN Warehouses & Castlefield Viaducts

Ron Heggs

It is.

Will that be subjected to the alco-load test as well?

As the prototype structure was probably only designed with the weight of cladding, etc. and snow loading, it probably won't take a large point load - but all is not lost I'm thinking of making an underslung load platform carried from multiple points to test the roof

Ron

Thanks Ian & Horsetan !!

Have finally received the building licence from the Ajuntament de Xaló (Jalon Town Hall), so I can now go ahead and get building work quotes from two or three local building contractors for the underbuild conversion to my railway room :locomotive:

Ron

About b****y time; that's great news Ron. I'm sure I speak for all your followers when I say that I am delighted you've finally got the go-ahead for your works.

Now get building!

Phil

About b****y time; that's great news Ron. I'm sure I speak for all your followers when I say that I am delighted you've finally got the go-ahead for your works.

Now get building!

Phil

Hi, Phil

Yes, the licence notification was hand delivered by the local police (normal town hall practice) this morning - letter dated 1st September - not bad considering the police office is in the same building

The 'building work' comprises constructing piers to support four RSJs, install temporary steel floor supports, demolish four supporting walls, install RSJs, remove temporary floor supports, install new beam and block floor

The 'services & finishing works' (which is down to me) comprises temporary removal/diversion/reinstall of water/heating & sanitary pipes, insulation of exterior walls, re-installation of aircon, installation of lighting & power, and of course floorcovering

Then I can start the shelving/worktables, etc. and finally baseboards, etc.

So it is still a few months off yet

Cheers

Ron

Some fantastic stuff here Ron.

I've only had time to flick through the thread and look at the pictures, but it's awesome.

Now I've put a reply on the thread, I'll get updates as they happen and will be following progress.

Thanks again for some inspiring work.

Cheers.

Sean.

Hi, Sean

Thanks for your kind comments - hope you continue to enjoy this topic

Cheers

Ron

Don't think any supplier would even think of producing a kit for this size of station - wouldn't have many enquiries or sales, as it would be far to big for most modeller's space/layout

Bath Green Park is the biggest roof kit I am aware of, nowhere hear this but still to big for most, although you can buy half a kit.

Regards in admiration

Keith

Edited by Grovenor

Bath Green Park is the biggest roof kit I am aware of, nowhere hear this but still to big for most, although you can buy half a kit.

Regards in admiration

Keith

Hi, Keith

Yes, Bath Green Park roof is available as a kit, or half - Brass etched, etc. so it is easier to produce and construct

Thanks for your comments

Cheers

Ron

A quick trial of the windbracing build -

post-10633-0-03188200-1316468996.jpg

The windbracing is T cross-section - made from 20thou x 1.8mm and 20thou x 1mm strips

post-10633-0-75572300-1316469013_thumb.jpg

View of one of the attachment plates

post-10633-0-39860100-1316469033_thumb.jpg

Windbracing fixed - Web down Flange uppermost

post-10633-0-33946000-1316469052_thumb.jpg

Cross-over point - Web removed from one of the braces

post-10633-0-66965200-1316469070_thumb.jpg

Close-up of bracing fixed to attachment point

post-10633-0-28992700-1316469088_thumb.jpg

View from underneath

The windbracing is fixed to each span bracing it crosses

The method and build are ok

.. to be continued >>>>>

• Like 4

Hello Ron,

sorry to jump the gun a bit, but how will the "glass panels" be fitted, before you fitted the wind braces I was thinking of an inverted T section that would run over the main roof supports, but now I'm at a bit of a loss.

I'm not as far away as you may think, as I'm in the UK.

Keep up the good work, this is some cracking modelling.

OzzyO.

The wind bracing is similar to what is used over here in Australia for steel roofs. A strap of perforated galvanised steel is nailed across the roof at 45 degrees so when the long-run corrugated steel is screwed down, the two combine to create a incredibly rigid structure and one that the average builder can understand.

I take it the windows are individual panels that sit in the frame but under the wind bracing strips?

Strewth Ron!!!

I only took a look at those wind bracings today!!!

Cheers

Nile

Hi, Nile

I don't mess about when trying to solve a problem - your pictures helped resolve an issue which archive pictures couldn't resolve

The original roof was a series of ridged glazed lights/lanterns/vents at 7' centres, which ran across the roof following the span curvature

This was replaced completely in 1952 by timber plank cladding and glazing which ran the full length of the train shed in four wide panels, two each side of the roof

Then again during the refurbishment of 1990's to GMEX, the roof was completely replaced again with the present raised ridged lights/lanterns, reminiscent of the original roof, at 35' centres

Reference to the copies of the original drawings which appeared in the 'Engineer' of 1880, and the archive picture which show the glazed roof of 1952, I can now determine the manner in which the timber cladding and glazing was fitted

Cheers

Ron

Edited by Ron Heggs

Hello Ron,

sorry to jump the gun a bit, but how will the "glass panels" be fitted, before you fitted the wind braces I was thinking of an inverted T section that would run over the main roof supports, but now I'm at a bit of a loss.

I'm not as far away as you may think, as I'm in the UK.

Keep up the good work, this is some cracking modelling.

OzzyO.

The wind bracing is similar to what is used over here in Australia for steel roofs. A strap of perforated galvanised steel is nailed across the roof at 45 degrees so when the long-run corrugated steel is screwed down, the two combine to create a incredibly rigid structure and one that the average builder can understand.

I take it the windows are individual panels that sit in the frame but under the wind bracing strips?

Hi, Ozzy & Ian

I will try and describe the manner in which the windbracing and cladding/glazing supports were carried out

First a series of T section steels (web on the underside) were run along the length of the roof at 6' 3" centres, where they crossed the T section windbracing the vertical web was cut away and the two sections bolted together. Where the roof cladding/glazing T section crossed at an intersection of two windbracings i.e. at an attachment plate, they were bolted to the attachment plate also

Timber planking was fixed on the topside of the T sections, and running up the roof. This cladding was coated with bitumen and covered with a bitumen impregnated membrane

The glazing comprised sheets 6' 6" long x 2' wide clipped at top & bottom and fixed in metal T bars along each side

Each of the lower glazing sections comprised two sheets i.e. 12' 6", and the upper glazing sections comprised four sheets i.e. 25', except over the concourse where an additional sheet was fitted making the section width 31' 3"

At the roof apex an open sided upstand was built to provide the roof with venting of steam, smoke etc.

The roof was fitted with access walkways along the lower edge of each glazed section, and also at the 18' 9" i.e. 3 sheets up on the upper glazed section

This link to Manchester Central Library Archive of the external view of the roof circa 1964 -

http://images.manche...ue&refirn=62473

Hope this makes it a little clearer

Cheers

Ron

Have finally received the building licence from the Ajuntament de Xaló (Jalon Town Hall), so I can now go ahead and get building work quotes from two or three local building contractors for the underbuild conversion to my railway room :locomotive:

Ron

Hi Ron,

Great to hear you now have the relevant permission to start work on your railway room, hopefully this won't interfere with your modelling or are we going to be treated to daily updates on this build as well :lol:

Colin

Hi Ron,

Great to hear you now have the relevant permission to start work on your railway room, hopefully this won't interfere with your modelling or are we going to be treated to daily updates on this build as well :lol:

Colin

Hi, Colin

Certainly won't be any daily updates on building work - I am sure it would put you all to sleep - but will keep you all informed as it approaches completion

Cheers

Ron

One of the pictures which Nile_Griffith kindly took for me whilst at GMEX -

post-10633-0-71628700-1316548849_thumb.jpg

This shows a main span to left of centre, a transverse tie bracing across the centre of the picture, a span bracing to the right with the small bracings and over the top in dark green the windbracing with an attachmnent plate on the top of the main span

The intricacy of the structure and all its detail puts my attempt to model it to shame - angle sections alone would be 0.6mm x 0.6mm x 3 thou thk - a challenge even in brass

Ron

I check this thread about three times a day for updates - no pressure Ron!

I missed your reply with the archive photo on the previous page. Now I understand just what you are building and its scale. Time for a bit of expletive deleted! :O