Manchester Central, CLC & GN Warehouses & Castlefield Viaducts

Ron Heggs

• RMweb Premium

I bet you've already thought of this - why not have a trap door arrangement so the board is held with two drawbolts and the other side is hinged? You are only going to be cleaning track or fixing electrical faults. This way the board is presented vertically so that both sides can be accessed when dropped?

Still with me? Clear as mud? I just think the motor-driven screw drive arrangement is capable of giving you many grey hairs if it fails.

I could forsee one problem with that arrangement. If there was a derailment or other incident tht involved getting at the track when there is stock in the station it might be a bit tricky catching the stock whilst lowering the trap door.

Jamie

You've been watching too many episodes of 'Stingray' and 'Thunderbirds'! Brilliant!

The only thing I would say is that it mght be a good idea to have some kind of 'stop' to ensure trains don't roll off the end when the tracks are lowered.

Yes - detail additions will include sprung end stops which will rise when the board starts to drop

I bet you've already thought of this - why not have a trap door arrangement so the board is held with two drawbolts and the other side is hinged? You are only going to be cleaning track or fixing electrical faults. This way the board is presented vertically so that both sides can be accessed when dropped?

Still with me? Clear as mud? I just think the motor-driven screw drive arrangement is capable of giving you many grey hairs if it fails.

Understand where you are coming from, but derailments and other possible events which require the board to remain horizontal would preclude a hinged dropdown

I could forsee one problem with that arrangement. If there was a derailment or other incident tht involved getting at the track when there is stock in the station it might be a bit tricky catching the stock whilst lowering the trap door.

Jamie

I concur with your comments

Its better to look at all possible occurrences rather than have a restricted view on possible events, especially as future changes may be impracticable to put into place

-

Thanks for all your comments, they are much appreciated :sungum:

• Like 1

Hi Ron

Power for operating the screw thread could be provided by a battery powered electric drill. I have seen this used somewhere, but for the life of me I can't remember where.

Cheers SS

This a probably option, as hopefully the need to move the board will be an exceptional event, so a fixed motor drive would be an unnecessary expense

There is a baseboard here in Brisbane which measures 7 metres x 3 metres - all steel construction - which is lowered and raised from the roof of the garage by a battery powered electric drill. The counter weight currently measures one tonne without anything being started on the surface of the layout yet!

I think one of the recent magazines had an article on the drill method to raise/lower a fiddle yard.

Can't remember which on though. It would have been RM, Model Rail or BRM I think and probably within the last 12 months.

Hmmmn, not much help there was I?.....

Cheers.

Sean.

Hi, Sean

You may be thinking of the fiddle yard stacker system in Model Rail, about two/three years ago. It used a bicycle wheel and a drill to act as a geared drive to a vertical screw threaded rod to raise and lower a series of fiddle yard boards

I can't use the same method as the rod would of necessity project through the centre of the board as soon as it was lowered

That's why a scissor system using a horizontal drive is preferred

Cheers

Ron

• 2 weeks later...

Acrow prop city

A post to show how the railway room is progressing

post-10633-0-90128600-1354820562_thumb.png

Drawing to showing the camera positions/directions for the following photos

post-10633-0-30055900-1354820258_thumb.jpg

1 - reinforced concrete block pillars will be removed just before the steelwork is installed

post-10633-0-16573100-1354820284_thumb.jpg

2 - reinforced concrete block pillars will be removed just before the steelwork is installed

post-10633-0-60102500-1354820312_thumb.jpg

3 - reinforced concrete block pillars will be removed just before the steelwork is installed

post-10633-0-71201200-1354820341_thumb.jpg

post-10633-0-98144600-1354820369_thumb.jpg

5 - reinforced concrete block pillars will be removed just before the steelwork is installed

post-10633-0-01801400-1354820400_thumb.jpg

6 - reinforced concrete block pillars will be removed just before the steelwork is installed

- the two slits of daylight in the centre of the photo is where the tracks will exit the railway room into the garden

post-10633-0-32303500-1354820432_thumb.jpg

post-10633-0-43177500-1354820464_thumb.jpg

8 - reinforced concrete block pillars will be removed just before the steelwork is installed

Steelwork is to be installed at end of next week

It is possible that the new floor will be laid before Xmas

• Like 10

Good luck with the works Ron; it's no small undertaking but I am wondering how many beer cans you've stacked upstairs to test the props. ;)

Hi, Andy

Was going to have a Topping-out ceremony with plenty of cans

But can you Top-out a basement ?

Maybe it should be a Topping-up :drinks:

Cheers

Ron

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi, Andy

Was going to have a Topping-out ceremony with plenty of cans

But can you Top-out a basement ?

Maybe it should be a Topping-up :drinks:

Cheers

Ron

Make it into a bottomming out.

Jamie

A floor before Christmas? in Spain? Hmmmm... Can we make a wager on this happening? :sungum:

Anything is possible in Spain, especially where money is involved - and it is the end of the tax year and they need to recover as much IVA as possible to offset their tax liabilities :scared:

There's a branch of Paddy Power just along the way from my office. Think they'll offer suitable odds? :jester:

I thought they were the source for hiring a few navvies :scratchhead:

• Like 1

I have been busy all day in the underbuild with the builders and the steelwork guys from before 8.00am until turned 6.00pm tonight

The main steel beam at just over 8 metres long and weighing over 600kg required a crane and 6 men to move it into the underbuild, threading it through the forest of props and lifting it onto the hoist, and then wound up into place and welded onto the steel columns at either end. Three smaller beams were also installed

The railway room now has a complete set of steelwork and no dividing walls. Just needs the floor laying now

Will take some pictures tomorrow before and after the props are removed

Ron

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Will take some pictures tomorrow

Mañana Mañana...as we say in Spain Ron :laugh:

Good to hear progress on the build Ron and look forward to see some more inspiration flow off your workbench again soon...

Mañana Mañana...as we say in Spain Ron :laugh:

Good to hear progress on the build Ron and look forward to see some more inspiration flow off your workbench again soon...

Hi, Pete

Good to hear from you

This is Mañana Mañana

Some pictures of the railway room with the steelwork installed and the walls removed -

post-10633-0-10829600-1355471203_thumb.jpg

post-10633-0-70296100-1355471235_thumb.jpg

post-10633-0-80483200-1355471264_thumb.jpg

post-10633-0-34186300-1355471297_thumb.jpg

post-10633-0-13747900-1355471329_thumb.jpg

post-10633-0-82881000-1355471359_thumb.jpg

- the props (puntalles) to be removed and the floor sorted next

Cheers

Ron

• Like 4

Took a few pics. whilst the builder is removing the props, etc. off site -

post-10633-0-77849300-1355495770_thumb.jpg

Looking diagonally towards the curved wall - i.e. from station throat into the train shed

post-10633-0-47598900-1355495802_thumb.jpg

Left of previous view - Goods Warehouses and yards

post-10633-0-41980800-1355495834_thumb.jpg

Opposite direction - towards the viaducts and exit into garden - door from the apartment

post-10633-0-52680700-1355495864_thumb.jpg

External door into garden and workshop - Stood where the Loco. Sheds etc. will go, and the area to the right will be reserved for the modelling tables, etc.

- Floor to be laid next week, and I have to re-instate water and electrics, removing the temporary cables, hoses, etc.

- Walls to be lined and insulated, etc.

- Electrical sockets and lighting to be installed

• Like 7

Latest works program having been agreed with SWMBO :triniti:-

Expectation is that the floor will be complete by Thursday 20th

If I start the wall lining/insulation on Friday 21st, this could be completed Sunday 23rd. This leaves me just Monday 24th to finish off the electrics

Xmas Day is a busy day with Charity work

Boxing Day is a Family Day

So that means with a bit of luck Friday 28th could see me starting the baseboards, having left the floor to dry out for a week

:locomotive:

Ron

Edited by Ron Heggs
  • Like 2