Manchester Central, CLC & GN Warehouses & Castlefield Viaducts

Ron Heggs

No wonder i can't buy any plasticard or plastruct, i think someone on here might have nicked it all, superb modelling Ron, keep it up

Retailers should have restocked by now its been 4 weeks since I last restocked :sungum:

Ron;

I was wondering - with so many (literally tens of thousands) of joints, have you had (m)any that have failed/delaminated/simply not quite had enough Mekpak and let go, as you've been manouvering substructures into position?

Cheers

Scott

One or two joints have failed, as insufficient PlasticWeld has failed to flow into the joint. Luckily these have been picked up while the assembly is being constructed. Not found any yet within completed assemblies :boast:

Well I missed you restarting work Ron, so will have to catch up with what you have done :banghead: but it is good to see the project recommence and look forward to following it once more.

Colin

Thanks Colin - hope to keep the work going now the railway room structural work is complete

Ron

• Like 1

A third span beam added with another batch of 17 transverse beams -

post-10633-0-73977000-1360356365_thumb.jpg

The assembled beams

post-10633-0-96122100-1360356426_thumb.jpg

The assembly attached to the two previous beams

post-10633-0-32169200-1360356484_thumb.jpg

The completed 3 span section

post-10633-0-93467100-1360357116_thumb.png

Status -

Green - Completed

Red - to be constructed (68 x 138mm transverse tie beams + 17 x 108mm transverse tie beams)

• Like 12

I know about the tracks being on a platform that can be lowered for maintenance etc but how are you going to lift and gently place in position the roof when it is completed? From memory this roof is around two metres long?

I think I need to go back to about page two to see how you made your styrene cutter - doing it all yourself must be a much more rewarding exercise when everything starts to come together as well as this build.

I know about the tracks being on a platform that can be lowered for maintenance etc but how are you going to lift and gently place in position the roof when it is completed? From memory this roof is around two metres long?

I think I need to go back to about page two to see how you made your styrene cutter - doing it all yourself must be a much more rewarding exercise when everything starts to come together as well as this build.

The roof is being built in three separate sections, which will be brought together on the layout when the platforms are constructed on an elevated portion of the baseboard

Because the general land formation varies dramatically across the length and breadth of the layout this was the reason for choosing an open cell baseboard construction. Generally, the track will run roughly horizontally (subject to the actual track gradients) approx. 200mm above the top of the baseboard (canal surface level). Roads, etc. will be built on gradients to match the actual land forms

• Like 1

This is truely epic Ron.  Not only are your buildings eyewatering in their scale and complexity (not to mention excellence), but the very nature of placing them in to a scene on the layout now also requires it's own appreciation.  Can't wait to see it coming together "on the ground"

Best wishes,

Chris.

This is truely epic Ron.  Not only are your buildings eyewatering in their scale and complexity (not to mention excellence), but the very nature of placing them in to a scene on the layout now also requires it's own appreciation.  Can't wait to see it coming together "on the ground"

Best wishes,

Chris.

Hi, Chris

Thanks for your kind comments

At various times I have placed a number of the structures in their approx. positions in relation to one another - on the lounge floor - which has made even me appreciate how large and complex the layout is going to be. Especially, as there is approx. 95% of the trackwork, which includes 122 turnouts/slips/diamond crossings, etc. still to build (in-situ) :scratchhead:

The next task is to draw up a plan of elevation spot heights across the layout

Cheers

Ron

• Like 2

Hi Ron

It's great to see you back in full-modelling-flow after several months concentrating on the underbuild.  I've now caught back up with your progress and will continue to follow with interest and awe.  I've said it before but the train shed truly is both a thing of beauty and a wonder to behold.

Keep it up

Phil

Hi Ron

It's great to see you back in full-modelling-flow after several months concentrating on the underbuild.  I've now caught back up with your progress and will continue to follow with interest and awe.  I've said it before but the train shed truly is both a thing of beauty and a wonder to behold.

Keep it up

Phil

Hi, Phil

Thanks for your much appreciated comments

Not quite up to speed yet - just finished the remaining 14 Short T Beams

Will attach them to the span beams tomorrow and post pictures

Cheers

Ron

I've just popped back in to see this, Ron, and that overall roof just looks more magnificent the more I look at it. Are you going to install a working clock on the front? We should get the management and owners of Manchester Central to come and admire your layout when it's all done. Were it not for the fact that this is to be a permanent feature in your basement, how appropriate would it be to exhibit it for a while inside the real thing?

Imagine how heavy and expensive this would all be if it had been rendered as etchings.

This may have been asked before but, given the local climate (hot), what arrangements are in place to ensure this won't warp?

Edited by Horsetan

I've just popped back in to see this, Ron, and that overall roof just looks more magnificent the more I look at it. Are you going to install a working clock on the front? We should get the management and owners of Manchester Central to come and admire your layout when it's all done. Were it not for the fact that this is to be a permanent feature in your basement, how appropriate would it be to exhibit it for a while inside the real thing?

Imagine how heavy and expensive this would all be if it had been rendered as etchings.

This may have been asked before but, given the local climate (hot), what arrangements are in place to ensure this won't warp?

Yes, working clocks are ready to be fixed both externally, and internally within the concourse

Etchings would cost a small fortune - plastic alone has cost in excess of £400 for the Train Shed

The temperature within the railway room has been checked over last year and has found to vary between 16 and 21 deg C, which is quite an acceptable range for both plastic and card. Relative humidity is kept at 50%

Dust is being kept to a minimum using extraction units, and the concrete floor and ceiling are being painted this weekend

Last night saw completion of the gable bay -

attachicon.gifIMG_1743.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_1744.JPG

Two span beams and 3 bays to go

Barbara 'suggested' I reduce the model storage on the dining table, so have moved Points Bridge to the railway room

Decided to put up two of the modelling tables in the railway room, and placed two sections of the Train Shed, Cornbrook Viaduct bridge #2 and Points Bridge on the tables

Hopefully I can get the floor painted this weekend, to reduce the dust level

attachicon.gifIMG_1745.JPG

The railway room looks like a Tardis

Its swallowed the two 1.2m x 1.2m tables

attachicon.gifIMG_1746.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_1747.JPG

Have to say Ron, that the station roof looks absolutely terriffic now, but just seeing it on the table and then seeing the room around it, shows how much work you have to do on the project.

Colin

• 2 weeks later...

Amazing, Ron. I just enjoyed reading all 52 pages. Thanks so much for posting up the blow by blow accounts. This gives me hope that I will be able to complete the overall roof for Bradford exchange in plastic.

Glad you enjoyed it, and given you some help  - much better for all, to show how a model is built than just to show the end result

Cheers

Ron

• Like 6