Manchester Central, CLC & GN Warehouses & Castlefield Viaducts

Ron Heggs

• RMweb Premium

Latest works program having been agreed with SWMBO :triniti:-

Expectation is that the floor will be complete by Thursday 19th

If I start the wall lining/insulation on Friday 20th, this could be completed Sunday 22nd. This leaves me just Monday 23rd to finish off the electrics

Tuesday/Xmas Eve is a busy day with Charity work

Xmas Day & Boxing Day are both Family Days

So that means with a bit of luck Friday 27th could see me starting the baseboards, having left the floor to dry out for a week

:locomotive:

Ron

Hi

I hate to be the bringer of bad news but your a day out with your dates Friday is the 21st and Monday is the 24th not Tuesday.

Cheers

Paul

Edited by PaulCheffus

Hi

I hate to be the bringer of bad news but your a day out with your dates Friday is the 21st and Monday is the 24th not Tuesday.

Cheers

Paul

Thanks it's a task just keeping up with what day of the week it is, never mind the date

Thought i would make a post and say hello and an early merry Xmas.

Taken me about an hour to read through all the posts since i last checked, must say it's really coming along nicely.

Pleased to see all the building work is almost at an end and soon the 'real' progress begins.

Hopefully i'll be over soon to see it for myself.

Until then good luck with the rest of the work.

Thanks

Matt

Thought i would make a post and say hello and an early merry Xmas.

Taken me about an hour to read through all the posts since i last checked, must say it's really coming along nicely.

Pleased to see all the building work is almost at an end and soon the 'real' progress begins.

Hopefully i'll be over soon to see it for myself.

Until then good luck with the rest of the work.

Thanks

Matt

Hi, Matthew

Nice to hear from you, and looking forward to your visit in May next year

Inspite of a rapidly reducing modelling space, a bit of progress has been achieved - and now with the almost completed railway room even better progress should be made

Have a Merry Xmas and a Happy New Year

See you soon

Ron

The latest pictures of the railway room upon builder's completion -

post-10633-0-70749500-1356036401_thumb.jpg

post-10633-0-68727400-1356036041_thumb.jpg

post-10633-0-65672500-1356036074_thumb.jpg

post-10633-0-77269900-1356036120_thumb.jpg

post-10633-0-57759700-1356036154_thumb.jpg

post-10633-0-63635900-1356036186_thumb.jpg

post-10633-0-83431600-1356036248_thumb.jpg

post-10633-0-79551100-1356036215_thumb.jpg

- builder's prop and timber to be removed to expose the opening into the garden, to be replaced by sealed opening door

post-10633-0-89828100-1356036277_thumb.jpg

Long diagonal views of the room -

post-10633-0-57002700-1356036308_thumb.jpg

post-10633-0-54595500-1356036340_thumb.jpg

- all builder's remaining items to be removed

- room will be left for about two weeks to allow to dry-out completely, before walls are lined/insulated, etc.

- new and re-instated electrics and plumbing will however go ahead now

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Hi Ron

Very nice and tidy workmanship. Obviously a basement area with those big steels, but how does this new room relate to the rest of the house - i.e. can you open it up and let the sun in etc? (Just a question from an interested builder). I like those hollow bricks that the Spanish use - they are incredibly strong despite how fragile they look. I was also surprised to see them using 'Bison' type beam and block for the above floor. I'd say that the concrete wont take long drying out even though it is winter over there!

Mike

Hi Ron

Very nice and tidy workmanship. Obviously a basement area with those big steels, but how does this new room relate to the rest of the house - i.e. can you open it up and let the sun in etc? (Just a question from an interested builder). I like those hollow bricks that the Spanish use - they are incredibly strong despite how fragile they look. I was also surprised to see them using 'Bison' type beam and block for the above floor. I'd say that the concrete wont take long drying out even though it is winter over there!

Mike

Hi, Mike

The villa was built 8 years ago, and is two storey with the main living areas at street level. A car parking area is directly over the workshop. At lower level is a self-contained apartment, and the railway room. Beyond is the pool, terrace and summerhouse, with the gardens all round 

Directly above the railway room are three bedrooms and two ensuites. Over the adjacent apartment and shower/bathroom, are the open plan kitchen, lounge and dining area. Dining and lounge areas face South and overlook the Jalon Valley

The railway room will remain without windows, with just two doors to outside. One walking access, the other railway access

Shade temperature this week has been 20-23oC, and overnight 12-16oC. The concrete has just about cured and will be left until early January before any finishing work is carried out. I should have the structure signed off by the technical architect and the town hall architect by then, so I can take occupation of the area

Ron

• Like 1

Wow, Ron,

Sounds like an ideal house layout.  Love that idea of a 'pool when you're hot, trains when you're not' lifestyle!  Seems a great pity that the Spanish are suffering badly at the moment - love the people and the place.  

Mike

Hi, Mike

Yes, just what the doctor and the financial advisor ordered  :sungum: 

Was very lucky to find this almost ideal villa at our second house viewing. Three years ago prices had just about hit rock bottom, with many ex-pats returning to the UK. We were able to take advantage of that situation, and have never looked back. It's a beautiful country and the people here are extremely friendly, even with those who haven't completely mastered the language  :scratchhead: 

Ron

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It's a beautiful country and the people here are extremely friendly, even with those who haven't completely mastered the language  :scratchhead: 

Know what you mean.  My wife and I took a car out from Javea about 12 years ago and stayed at various Paradors en route to Toledo.  My wife can get by with her Spanish, but I can only stupidly look on, grin and say Ola.  I particularly remember our first night at Albacete - we walked up the main street looking for a restaurant and those friendly people couldn't do enough for us.  They made us feel so at ease and welcome.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi Ron. I remember that you mentioned a while go that you struggled to find modelling materials in Spain. I am currently in Elche on the other side of Alicante to you and walking down a back street near the Basilica de Santa Maria, came across a small model shop that whilst not exactly rammed with modelling supplies, sells Evergreen strip, various glues, knife blades, Humbrol paints, et. The owner informed us (girlfriend translating) that he orders stuff in from the UK and would be happy to get anything in if requested.

Anyway, the shop details are:

Off Road Modelismo

C/. San Pedro, 3

03202 Elche (Alicante)

Tel: 96 545 33 49

Web: offroadmodelismo.es

There is what looks like another model shop round the corner, although more of a box shifter type place. Will check it out later.

Cheers,

Jason.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ron;

I was wondering - with so many (literally tens of thousands) of joints, have you had (m)any that have failed/delaminated/simply not quite had enough Mekpak and let go, as you've been manouvering substructures into position?

Cheers

Scott