Manchester Central, CLC & GN Warehouses & Castlefield Viaducts

Ron Heggs

In the vicinity of the viaduct give or take a few yards.

The picture on the left is taken on Deansgate looking south towards the CLC bridge. The building on the left all lit up was the Crown Hotel. I believe it is now called The Deansgate

The picture on the right is taken from the CLC bridge looking south with the Deansgate Station on the left with the blue lighting. The bridges are both on the previous MSJ&AR line

Thanks

Ron

I nearly took some photos of the frontage of the Goods Warehouse. I think that the MEN has been collecting photos of tonight's sunset. 

The right hand shot was taken on the way up to the Metro stop. But I thought you might like the views. I always enjoy reading this thread.

A few days since the last update.  Hope all is OK, Ron?

Everything is OK - both personal and modelling wise - Thanks for your concern

1. Have been tackling the Station Water Tower in card and styrene, still a few hours of work needed - will post pictures, etc. in its unfinished state later - Have left the construction of the windows in the tower for the time being (see below)

2. Have also been reading up on logic circuits in electronics for a possible re-design of the Theatre Display - if the fibre optic design fails

3. ... and modifying the design of the GNR Deansgate Bridge decoration - multiple laminations of styrene - so I can cut it all out on my new Silhouette Cameo cutting machine (see the Topic on the Forum http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/79025-a-guide-to-using-the-silhouette-cameo-cutter/)

Yes, I have invested in a paper/card/styrene cutting machine - hopefully this will enable me to produce windows/doors/frames, etc. without going for etches - the machine is being delivered from the US via the UK to Spain, and it should be here on Wednesday, along with the fibre optic strands for the Theatre Displays (Home delivery from the UK courtesy of my daughter)

This means that all the windows for the Viaduct Arches and the Water Tower can be produced PDQ - all the drawings are complete and waiting

Cheers

Ron

• Like 4

Following on from the previous post, here are a few pictures of the latest stage in construction of the Station Water Tower, which is located adjacent to the Station Turntable on the Viaduct above the Rochdale Canal and alongside Whitworth Street West

post-10633-0-46423200-1386542718_thumb.jpg

The part on the left is the sandstone coping and roof with RSJ support beams for the cast iron plate tank. The one on the right is the tank which comprises a variety of cast iron flanged plates. Because of the plan shape of the tank, the right hand end of the tank is a dummy section 

post-10633-0-49379100-1386542853_thumb.jpg

Closer view of the tank

post-10633-0-16708000-1386542886_thumb.jpg

Closer view of the tank - internal flange detail is cut short to allow for an artificial water level/floor to be fitted from below 

post-10633-0-83023800-1386542786_thumb.jpg

The sandstone coping and roof with RSJ support beams

post-10633-0-76985900-1386542752_thumb.jpg

A view of the internal walls - not fixed - awaiting the windows

post-10633-0-09843600-1386542983_thumb.jpg

Rear view - facing Albion Street/Trafford Street

post-10633-0-62335200-1386543016_thumb.jpg

Close up of brick coving detail - Sandstone coping/roof sits on/over and covers the white card section

When the windows are made and installed, the internal wall lining and the sandstone window cills will be fitted

The sandstone coving/roof/support beams and tank all require painting

The wall support beams under the two double window bays also need painting and fitting

An access ladder and maintenance walkway with handrails will be constructed to complete the build

• Like 5

Following on from the previous post, here are a few pictures of the latest stage in construction of the Station Water Tower, which is located adjacent to the Station Turntable on the Viaduct above the Rochdale Canal and alongside Whitworth Street West

attachicon.gifIMG_0322.JPG

The part on the left is the sandstone coping and roof with RSJ support beams for the cast iron plate tank. The one on the right is the tank which comprises a variety of cast iron flanged plates. Because of the plan shape of the tank, the right hand end of the tank is a dummy section 

attachicon.gifIMG_0326.JPG

Closer view of the tank

attachicon.gifIMG_0327.JPG

Closer view of the tank - internal flange detail is cut short to allow for an artificial water level/floor to be fitted from below 

attachicon.gifIMG_0324.JPG

The sandstone coping and roof with RSJ support beams

attachicon.gifIMG_0323.JPG

A view of the internal walls - not fixed - awaiting the windows

attachicon.gifIMG_0330.JPG

Rear view - facing Albion Street/Trafford Street

attachicon.gifIMG_0331.JPG

Close up of brick coving detail - Sandstone coping/roof sits on/over and covers the white card section

When the windows are made and installed, the internal wall lining and the sandstone window cills will be fitted

The sandstone coving/roof/support beams and tank all require painting

The wall support beams under the two double window bays also need painting and fitting

An access ladder and maintenance walkway with handrails will be constructed to complete the build

Hi Ron.

Is the material hand-embossed in this example - have I missed this before!? - it is excellent and well worth the wait.

Tony.

Edited by Brass0four

Hi Ron.

Is the material hand-embossed in this example - have I missed this before!? - it is excellent and well worth the wait.

Tony.

Hi, Tony

Are you referring to the brickwork?

This is my own design creation used for all my buildings (many suitable colour variations), and give a reasonable 3D effect. The aged whitewashed internal walls were a quick creation 

Then printed on 240gsm A4 white card sold by WH Smith in the UK, or on larger 650mm x 500mm sheets obtain from a local stationer. These sheets are cut into a maximum 210mm wide strips so they can be printed on an A4 printer. My Epson printers can print up to 1100mm in length

Ron

Hi, Tony

This is my own design creation used for all my buildings (many suitable colour variations), and give a reasonable 3D effect. The aged whitewashed internal walls were a quick creation 

Then printed on 240gsm A4 white card sold by WH Smith in the UK, or on larger 650mm x 500mm sheets obtain from a local stationer. These sheets are cut into a maximum 210mm wide strips so they can be printed on an A4 printer. My Epson printers can print up to 1100mm in length

Ron

Thanks Ron,

Yes, the brick. I can't think how I haven't *noticed before but it is stunningly successful. I largely use Scalescenes papers but, as I am a Graphic Artist (albeit old pre-PC school) I might well investigate the possibility. Faller used to do an excellent 3D effect brick-paper but it was hugely over-scale for 4mm.

*I can only assume I didn't see it 'cos of my usual awe over the general build! lol

Tony.

Edited by Brass0four

Hi, Tony

Ron

Ron

Any chance of telling/showing us how you created it please?

Gav

Edited by stannyblade

Ron

Any chance of telling/showing us how you created it please?

Gav

Hi, Gav

Yes. I will create another topic/thread and provide a link from my signature

It will take a day or two to write it up with pictures and examples

Cheers

Ron

• Like 2

Have updated the Theatre Display wiring diagram in order to reduce the number of fibre optic strands/LEDs

The display of M has been moved to the left side from the centre

There are now 8 unused matrix positions, which means only 27 strands are required

post-10633-0-02634300-1386890194_thumb.png

Building the circuit on veroboard 51mm x 23mm (20 x 9 holes)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Ron,

If you made position ( row 1, column 4) an '8', and removed the bottom right '10', you could 'round' the 'S' and save another strand.

If you also increased the width of the space between columns 4 & 5, it would better define the double letter illuminations.

Stu

Edited by Stubby47

Ron,

If you made position ( row 1, column 4) an '8', and removed the bottom right '10', you could 'round' the 'S' and save another strand.

If you also increased the width of the space between columns 4 & 5, it would better define the double letter illuminations.

Stu

Hi, Stu

Thanks. Yes, it would save another strand, but I think you meant row 1 column 5 for the change from 7 to 8

The fibre optic strands are being brought on Sunday by my daughter, so I'm hoping that they can be fitted on Monday for a test run

Cheers

Ron

Redrew the circuit for the Theatre Display, and built the LED diode matrix circuit as a two layer stripboard sandwich -

post-10633-0-32929600-1387102235_thumb.png

A much simpler circuit

The row connections made on a 10 x 10 hole piece of stripboard, and the column connection made on a 5 x 10 hole piece, and no wired inter connections required

The overall item size is approx. 26mm x 26mm x 13mm

post-10633-0-92978000-1387102530.png

Due to the width/diameter of the resistors and LEDs they are offset slightly from one another

post-10633-0-72357700-1387102661.png

The soldering is a bit naff, as the smallest soldering bit I have is a 4.3mm chisel bit. A 1mm taper bit is on order

Yes, it all works as intended

Still have to fit flying leads for the 12v supply and switches

The fibre optics strands will be here this morning - ready to fit :scratchhead: this evening

• Like 1

Redrew the circuit for the Theatre Display, and built the LED diode matrix circuit as a two layer stripboard sandwich -

attachicon.gifMatrix Circuit Diagram.png

A much simpler circuit

The row connections made on a 10 x 10 hole piece of stripboard, and the column connection made on a 5 x 10 hole piece, and no wired inter connections required

The overall item size is approx. 26mm x 26mm x 13mm

attachicon.gifIMG_0332.png

Due to the width/diameter of the resistors and LEDs they are offset slightly from one another

attachicon.gifIMG_0333.png

The soldering is a bit naff, as the smallest soldering bit I have is a 4.3mm chisel bit. A 1mm taper bit is on order

Yes, it all works as intended

Still have to fit flying leads for the 12v supply and switches

The fibre optics strands will be here this morning - ready to fit :scratchhead: this evening

Really looking forward to illumination and figuration. I know nothing whatsoever about such things, but will switching be by individual switches linked to a dedicated alpha-numeric, or otherwise?

Tony.

Edited by Brass0four

Really looking forward to illumination and figuration. I know nothing whatsoever about such things, but will switching be by individual switches linked to a dedicated alpha-numeric, or otherwise?

Tony.

Hi Tony

The final switching will be linked to the route/turnout switching, which sets the electric light/LED signals, etc.

Ron

The optical fibres have arrived. Did a quick test with a single strand (5 metres long as supplied) to check lighting levels - appears OK

Need some two part epoxy to fix them - .... and of course it is the one adhesive I don't have  :no:  - now where is that crystal ball  :scratchhead:

Tomorrow will be fix it, test it and post it

Ron 

• Like 3