Once Upon a Time.... in the West

2ManySpams

• RMweb Premium

Phew, well that's ok then.

Really looking forwards to Saturday and hoping to make the Friday night social to, especially as Andy's buying pints for all.

And then on Saturday it's eating, more eating, talking trains and more eating at Member's Day. Must remember to take some bits along to, some American layout or something.....

Phew, well that's ok then.

Really looking forwards to Saturday and hoping to make the Friday night social to, especially as Andy's buying pints for all.

And then on Saturday it's eating, more eating, talking trains and more eating at Member's Day. Must remember to take some bits along to, some American layout or something.....

It shouldn't take too long to fit the Pork Pie vending machine to the back of the layout. (the beer pump is already operational.........)

17.jpg

You bu55er! Those pies are illegal in the 'States......................slaver. Meat Pies (of any kind) - what I miss most about the old country.

I'm really sorry I couldn't make it over for the Staffs thing. I could have worked on your NM scenery.

Best, Pete.

You bu55er! Those pies are illegal in the 'States......................slaver. Meat Pies (of any kind) - what I miss most about the old country.

I'm really sorry I couldn't make it over for the Staffs thing. I could have worked on your NM scenery.

Best, Pete.

Illegal?

I can't believe it!!!

I'll have one for you Pete......

• RMweb Premium

Might build the scenery out of pork pies - certainly would be substantial and there's always some nosh for a rainy day.

Well, car's packed up so I'm heading now to Stafford for Members Day.... :yahoo:

Just out of curiosity why would they, the pies, be illegal???

Best, Pete.

Illegal?

I can't believe it!!!

I'll have one for you Pete......

Pete,

It might even be true for nasty cold things with congealed fat and eels and what not, but the "improved" colonial version is very trendy in Manhattan right now. There are a number of places advertising variations of 'down under' (Austalian and New Zealand) hot meat pies and sausage rolls in the city.

Usually run by an expat desparate for a meat pie, they've become something of a fad and have been featured on the foodie TV shows. There's even one here in Portland where I found the pastry to be outstanding but missing something intangible in the filling. Still it's a nice change from ubiquitous pizza and chain sub sandwiches.

Sorry to go so far off topic, but access to a decent meat pie in the former 13 colonies is an imperative discussion.

They are not illegal (well, you can't bring them back with you in your luggage). Meat pies of any kind are virtually unheard over here (unless it is called a Calzone) outside of small ethnic enclaves but of course there are no small English enclaves (which is another subject).

I found a place in Kearny NJ that made their own, Kearny was originally a Scottish enclave so I had to learn Scottish names like "Bridies", once I found it it immediately closed down..............D'oh.

Amazingly there a place in the Mid West (who's name escapes me) which specializes in Meat Pies but I don't think they ship them (so, if you know........)

I do like the US variety of Fruit pies but they'll never get the meat pie thing.

You can find "Shepherds Pie" just about everywhere in the North East but it is not a true pie.

So yes I will work for pies or rolls thusly:

10:00am: Large Sausage Roll (hot). Noon: Steak (with a little kidney to taste) Pie. 3:00pm: Cornish Pasty (with Swede, Hot). Dinner: Steak and Kidney Pudding (with all the trimmings) followed by Spotted D!ck. Decent Beer to go with everything. Pork pies as snacks.

Thanks, Pete.

By Heck, I've just returned from the pub (well nothing new there then). That pub in Stafford where all those, expected to turn up tomorrow with lots of wood, electrical stuff and models of exceedingly exquisite calibre are engaged in quaffing quantities of curious alcoholic liquids, along with the boss - Andy Y . . . and I just thought I'd check out our thread before I packed some ballast and a couple of locomotives.

Well, the latest hijack is just like what happens on a wet and windy day in the north west of our fair country, when your football team is losing in the mud - then the shout goes up and there's some good news - "the bl**dy PIES have arrived!!!"

Yes, Once upon a time there was a pie and now there's a discussion about all sorts of pies in a thread about two rusty rails in a desert - Fantastic!

Pete, I'm real sorry you can't make it, because I'd be happy to buy you a pie and Chris needs all the help he can get modelling those New Mexican tumbleweeds.

Hopefully if all goes to plan, I'll meet some of you tomorrow!

All the best, John.

• RMweb Premium

just back from the same pub that John retired from Far too early.... Funny how i fancy a pie now! Noticed that the chip shop on the old route to my folks has gone :-( oh well virtual pie it is then...... Until John posts something about modelling at least.

Hope to see a few folk later this morning at members day.

• RMweb Gold

You must have heard the expression "Who ate all the pies, then?" Have you looked at the average mature American? They need pies like a fish needs drought!

Their enemies don't need Tomahawk missiles - just introduce (with freebies all round) the Steak and Kidney Pudding (made with real suet, natch) it would fell people like an epidemic.......

Best, Pete.

Here's thinking of you Pete!

post-10252-0-99703200-1309629781_thumb.jpg

post-10252-0-40230000-1309629821_thumb.jpg

After having a fantastic day at the RMweb members day we arrived back home to find that we'd been bought a pork pie each from one of the oldest pork pies shops around in Iron Bridge.

We can honestly say they were fantastic... you'd have loved a taste :D

And here's something else they had... A Pork Pie Wedding Cake!

post-10252-0-61217200-1309630219_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Damn you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just took a bite out of my Wife's butt en passant. Now she's suing.

Lovely shed btw....................

Best, Pete.

And the layout's not three bad either - apart from those two diesels that were sitting on it this afternoon (but that was duly explained and the excuse sounded goodwink.gif). It really is going to be something when it's finished.cool.gif

Guest jonte

Here's thinking of you Pete!

post-10252-0-99703200-1309629781_thumb.jpg

post-10252-0-40230000-1309629821_thumb.jpg

After having a fantastic day at the RMweb members day we arrived back home to find that we'd been bought a pork pie each from one of the oldest pork pies shops around in Iron Bridge.

We can honestly say they were fantastic... you'd have loved a taste :D

And here's something else they had... A Pork Pie Wedding Cake!

post-10252-0-61217200-1309630219_thumb.jpg

Hi Chaps!

Was going to say enjoy your weekend, but I've no need as you obviously are :lol:

As I explained the other night in my initial post to my new group...ouch, that hurts!....I'm afraid I can't join in the fun as the Boss has started her leave, so for the next two weeks we're doing 'togetherness'. Blokey stuff's definitely off the agenda :cry:

Looking forward to some piccies at the earliest opportunity.

From what I've seen so far, you'll knock 'em dead!

Bestest,

Jonte

Hi guys, Great to meet you yesterday, interesting fun to watch progress and I like the 'mock up' idea, too! I can't believe that you're on 15 pages already! Must go back and read previous progress! All the best, John E. PS Thanks for the biscuit, too!

Hi y'all,

I was getting used to the hi-jinx and hi-jacks of this "fairy story" - Once upon a time, etc. But, after more "butt jokes" even the title has been PIE-JACKED.

Whatever next?

Soon I'm getting some electricity out to the shed. Not for the modelling you see, but for a fridge for the pies and the beers!

All the best,

John (alias the man with all the pies!!)

Archived