Once Upon a Time.... in the West

2ManySpams

Guest jonte

I did some research earlier because I was looking to do P4 using American sourced rail - apparently there is no compatability between American and British because of the difference between 4mm and 3.5mm - it's a width thing, I think. Steven Hatch supplies four at a time but expect to wait a month as they are lathe turned and he makes them from Code 55 to Code 83. If you go to the Fast Track site in Canada there is a page where they do a comparo of various coded rail.

Best, Pete.

I see. Why is nothing ever straightforward :angry:

Thanks for the info.

Best wishes, Jon.

The 16.2mm Roller Track Gauges are £8-75, plus £0-51 postage and £0-53 Paypal Fees.

stores@00-sf.org.uk

this is from an email received last year...I bought a set promptly [i want to build using code 55 rail form C&S..].....

Second fix wiring complete - apart from point motor decoders.

post-8734-0-20444300-1306062604_thumb.jpg

I've used rails as the 'common' bar's on the tag strip.

post-8734-0-70718800-1306062773_thumb.jpg

All I need to do now is connect the DCC controller, put a chip in that big 2-10-0 and we should be running (well, on one board) - keep you posted.

And there we have it!

AT & SF 2-10-0, 2554 makes its first moves in order to test the wiring on the first board.

John, I don't know why you were worried about the running properties of the Code 83 track - it runs like a dream!!

post-8734-0-06033000-1306068057_thumb.jpg

This beastie was also seen to be prowling around, however further work is required before she runs. - you can make your own jokes up John.

post-8734-0-03311300-1306067948_thumb.jpg

post-8734-0-36524200-1306068892_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Hey, amigo,

That's fantastic - even the diesel looks good!!!

What sort is it?

All the best, John.

4 axles, two big exhaust fans with a smaller one in between tells you it's a GP35.

EDIT Construction # 28745, built in June 1964.

hi.........is that a brass decapod? Or...is it the very nice Bachmann Russian decapod?

[i think I bought the last Russian from ON30trains....the one's they had on offer, ex-sound equipped machines minus sound chips...fine for em since I'm essentially a DC person...]

A while back, I mentioned the MDC/Roundhouse Prairie 2-6-2, as being a possible contender for NM-area ATSF varnish?

There was some more feedback on here about them.....and I have been having a roodyrant amongst my paper files....

so.....an brief article, plus drawings, appeared in Model RAilroader, JAnuary 1986. [the one with Malcolm Furlow's Silverton & Telluride on the cover?]...PPs 96-99

This article mainly refers to the Santa Fe 1050 class.....as described on here...however, it does mention , for modelling, that the MDC Prairie is modelled after the earlier Santa Fe 1010 class prairies...these apparently differ from the 1050 class by having drivers 6 inches smaller in diameter.....however, a reasonable likeness can be produced....US steamers do tend to be more significant in the details....get them right and you're almost there?

One of the nice things about these class one RR's and their big loco classes is the amount of detail variety one can include if one has several of the same type...

In my case, with my Prairie, it can be modelled with solid or spoked leading and trailing wheels..or possibly a mix?

After re-building, it can be oil or coal fired [swap tenders...or rather, tender tops..?]

Again, after re-building, they could have either Walschaerts, Bakers, or Southern valve gear.....for that extra difference....then they took over tenders from other SAnta Fe types, so could be found with tenders having 4-wheel trucks, or 6 wheel trucks....

the permutations are endless...and can be achieved by simple kit-bashing and parts-swaps....

A good photo helps...but who's gonna know??

Thanks Ian, for the type of diesel and the date of introduction. It stops me mumbling "I'm not sure", if it occasionally sneaks up the line, when I'm not looking!.

And yes Alistair, it's a Bachmann "Decapod" locomotive, straight out of the box. Although right for our period (built 1917), I'm afraid they didn't run as ATSF stock until sometime later than 1919, after the three GM & O locomotives were absorbed. But if we keep it to ourselves, nobody will know!

I'm on the lookout for a Prairie too, after Dave1905 posted that they would have worked down the "Horny Toad" route to El Paso (from which our branch begins at Rincon - see the map close to the beginning of the thread). At the moment, the 2-6-2 is the only "small" engine that we haven't got an example of. Shame Bachmann haven't got a "Spectrum" model of the type available.

Thanks all, for the interest and the replies.

All the best, John.

hi...got my Prairie off MG Sharp for £15 many years ago, at an NMRA meet....

BTW....the Prairie, with tender as supplied, is about the same length as the Russian Decapod.....!!!!!!!!!!!

Whilst at it, take a look at converting an MDC 4-4-2 below?

http://www.atsfrr.com/resources/MooreJB/StmClnic/MDC4-4-2.pdf

http://www.atsfrr.com/resources/MooreJB/StmClnic/IHC4-6-2.pdf

for a cheap 4-6-0?

http://www.atsfrr.com/resources/MooreJB/StmClnic/Bach4-6-0.pdf

lots to look for?

Guest jonte

The 16.2mm Roller Track Gauges are £8-75, plus £0-51 postage and £0-53 Paypal Fees.

stores@00-sf.org.uk

this is from an email received last year...I bought a set promptly [i want to build using code 55 rail form C&S..].....

Thanks, Alistair.

Please forgive my ignorance but who or what is C&S ?

Jonte

Guest jonte

Second fix wiring complete - apart from point motor decoders.

post-8734-0-20444300-1306062604_thumb.jpg

I've used rails as the 'common' bar's on the tag strip.

post-8734-0-70718800-1306062773_thumb.jpg

All I need to do now is connect the DCC controller, put a chip in that big 2-10-0 and we should be running (well, on one board) - keep you posted.

Now that is neat!!

Jonte

Guest jonte

And there we have it!

AT & SF 2-10-0, 2554 makes its first moves in order to test the wiring on the first board.

John, I don't know why you were worried about the running properties of the Code 83 track - it runs like a dream!!

post-8734-0-06033000-1306068057_thumb.jpg

This beastie was also seen to be prowling around, however further work is required before she runs. - you can make your own jokes up John.

post-8734-0-03311300-1306067948_thumb.jpg

post-8734-0-36524200-1306068892_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the update on the Peco Code 83, Damian - John was kindly raising this on my behalf - Can't argue with that!!

And that's a fine looking steam engine.

Jonte

More progress shots....

This is the next board in the wiring shop

post-8734-0-95968700-1306491336_thumb.jpg

This is a leg set removed to provide clearer access for the wiring and prior to painting

post-8734-0-29956900-1306491715_thumb.jpg

The triangular brace hinges out and locks in place to the underside of the board with a shoot bolt. When being transported the legs are folded under the board and the brace is trapped within.

post-8734-0-54226000-1306492073_thumb.jpg

4 axles, two big exhaust fans with a smaller one in between tells you it's a GP35.

EDIT Construction # 28745, built in June 1964.

Just in case you get the wrong idea though that livery didn't debut until the 1970s, and 2848 is the loco's 1980s-ish post-life-extension rebuild number (it's third of 4 numbers over it's life!) - so that number is good for roughly the 1980s up to whenever BNSF got around to patching it....

It was still with BNSF as of 2010 (now BNSF2548) but it's in a storage line....that might only be a recession thing though...

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=2191828

Doesn't look too bad for her age though does she... ;)

• RMweb Gold

I'm with you, Damian, and mine is fizzy! [3.59 euros, say £3.20 a bottle in Super U.] :Looked at the loco, thought "that looks nice" then realised what it is, and must dig mine out and give it an airing. Ran beautifully when new, now needs the pickups cleaned & sorted, I think. Has cheapo sound, too. You Treneglos chappies are a bit disturbing - first you get me buying Southern Railway stuff, then calmly move on to the US stuff the Southern has partly displaced!

You can get genuine "High desert Sand" in 40 lb bags at my local garden centre - and no I'm not going to start shipping it to the UK.............

Best, Pete (aka "Il Pigro" - and it's nothing to do with pigs......)

Archived