Once Upon a Time.... in the West

2ManySpams

Dunno about Whitewater - it's elevation that decides it. Flagstaff is way to the south in Arizona yet they got 5 foot of snow in one day a year or so ago (it's at 7000+feet above sea level).

Best, Pete.

I don't know if it snows in that part of southern New Mexico either.

But there's a map in post 56 and Whitewater's elevation is shown as 5157 feet.

Personally, I prefer the idea of cold dry desert, with tumbleweeds!

All the best, John.

• RMweb Premium

D, looks like you have an evenings work just adding the detailing to 5003. Do you have any stock for them to pull yet? What period is the new loco?

Sounds like we'll have blue and yella diesels running through a wintery scene then.

• RMweb Gold

I've got to say I prefer US diesels - way more colorful than their steam engines.diablo_mini.gif

Generally true, but the Southern Railway managed to look pretty good with many of its classier steamers having green boiler jackets; I think the B&O may have had some blue locos, including P7 "President" class pacifics; Espee's Daylight livery was admired by many - and I assume the Nashville, Chattanooga & St Louis "Yellowjackets" got their name from somewhere! As for the diesels, if you think recent schemes have been colourful, check out the pre-War designs of many of the early streamliners. Atlantic Coast Line, Seaboard Air Line (nothing to do with aviation!), Union Pacific, Rock Island etc etc.... Santa Fe's first diesels were decorated in the "Warbonnet" livery of red and silver, and this was reproduced more than 50 years later on some modern units, to equally good effect.

US Steam locos were actually quite colorful. Interestingly, J.P.Morgan, who invested in numerous railroads and squeezed the buck out of them by making them efficient, instituted a policy of all-black locos with simple lettering, so until the streamline era, roads like the Lehigh Valley and New Haven were pretty dull -- and before the 1920s, the Southern was a Morgan road and all-black, too. The Great Northern had green boiler jackets and red cab roofs. Pennsylvania Railroad locos were a "Japan green" (which is the proper art color for the paint) with red cab roofs and tender decks, and before 1930 or so had elaborate gold and orange lining. There is sketchy evidence that one or more K4s was painted Tuscan red about 1930. Gray boiler jackets were fairly common, on the Atlantic Coast Line, RF&P, Northern Pacific, Duluth, Missabe, and Iron Range, the Southern Pacific, and probably others I can't think of. The Norfolk and Western applied graphite to the entire boiler before World War II. The Rio Grande had green boiler jackets, exactly when and on what locos is controversial, but you can see some standard gauge locos with dirty green boilers after World War II; some black and white photos strongly suggest some narrow gauge locos had them before World War II. Blackstone gives people a choice! The GM&O painted some of its passenger locos red and maroon. The Pittsburgh and Lake Erie painted its 2-8-4s a color close to Pullman green, which was a color they also used on some diesels.

Neither of you mentioned the Reading "Crusader" - streamliner clad in stainless steel (still looked bloody awful). Seriously nothing to compare with a Caledonian loco................BUT we all have our own likes and dislikes and now you know mine.man_in_love_mini.gif

Best, Pete.

Trisonic, I'm with you on this one, I'm in the diesels camp.

Trouble is I've fallen for the delights of the all conquering 'Armour Yellow and Harbour Mist Gray' team (especially those Gas Turbines and F-Units) which I suspect will be less than welcome on our current AT & SF 'rails in the sand' project.

Hmmmmmm. such is life.

UP have done some incredible specials on their new locos incorporating modern versions of the liveries of the lines that they have "eaten up". Can only hope that BNSF will follow suit (though I have a model of a current BNSF SDM 60 M in BN colours -which I like- but re- numbered as a BNSF......it's still wandering around the 'States like that, so far as I know).

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Premium

Looks good guys.

On the subject of track, I've got some Kato HO Unitrack which makes for a handy test track. Have to say I quite like the look of it compared to Peco code 75.

Looking forward to following this thread.

Rich

Thanks for that Richierich.

Just ordered a Cobolt Decoder to try out with the Tortoise motors. Of course as Cobolt - I guess - are in competition with tortoise they do not quote if the decoder will work with it or not. However, they do say that one chanel will power two cobolt point motors - so hopefully that should be enough 'Umph' for one tortoise.

time will tell.....

Owd Grinder - Are there any points you want to be configured as co-acting? - this may save on the quantity of decoders....

• RMweb Premium

Chris - you have email - please pass it on to John and Damian - and take a look at the Google Maps link! :pleasantry:

Hi Jack. I've only recently been able to retreve your email off the home PC and pass it on to J&D. A belated thanks from us all for the info and lead.

• RMweb Premium

Hi all. Have we mentioned yet that bits of the layout will be at this year's Members Day in July. So if you can, please come and see us! I'm sure Damian will be bringing his Merican blue and yellows along too.

• RMweb Premium

Waggon train loaded. Course set through the Black Hills of NW Leicestershire, sneaking past Nottingham's Indian Reservations (big smoke signals at Ratcliffe on Soar) and then onwards through the rolling plains of wheat to the Newark Badlands. Get those beans started over the campfire and keep a lookout posted on the gates of Fort Ross.

Archived