Once Upon a Time.... in the West

2ManySpams

• RMweb Gold

Gone to the site Jack but not sure what I'm supposed to be looking at?

Like Chris I see no diesels. The left side of the page is all adverts - local to the user, not on the site. The right side of the page offers three different threads.

Maybe because you get shunted to a webring?

I found what Jack meant - you click on "ATSF Diesels" and are presented with a listing of stock leading to photos. I've just bookmarked it 'cos I love the ATSF liveries.........thanks, Jack. CORRECTION: It appears to be a listing of specifications only. No pretty pics, that I can find. P.

Best, Pete.

Steve,

Being a bit of a 'Cut' nut as well, can you tell me where that canal picture was taken?

It was taken on the Wordsley / Brierley Hill border (not sure where one finishes and the other begins), adjacent to Leys Road, just before the Fens Pool branch. Best way to find it is to locate the glass kiln at Wordsley and head up the canal towards Merry Hill. A few hundred yards on, the main canal bends to the right, whilst the remains of the branch head stright on.

Steve

Right then.

On with the Wye. (its looks like a triangular junction to me, but hey)

First I've cut the ply that will form the base of the boards. It's positioned on temp supports to allow marking up.

post-8734-0-39553300-1308484267_thumb.jpg

post-8734-0-75142400-1308484356_thumb.jpg

''''Owd Grinder'''' has very kindly produced a full size plan for this bit, so this now gets offered up. This information now needs to get transfered to the boards. I usually just use a nail and push it through the paper to leave a mark. Once done you can join the dots with a pen on the board.

post-8734-0-48291300-1308484593_thumb.jpg

Having pinned thorugh the plan and joined the dots we now have the trackbed drawn on the boards.

post-8734-0-40952400-1308492169_thumb.jpg

post-8734-0-97790300-1308492091_thumb.jpg

And this is where we leave my comfort zone, for the track bed is going to be supported by insulation material.

I've cut a few trial pieces.(there will be wood on top).

post-8734-0-62883700-1308492259_thumb.jpg

post-8734-0-51322600-1308492337_thumb.jpg

post-8734-0-20199200-1308492416_thumb.jpg

Now I need to build the boards and the leg sets.

A few shots of one of the part completed embankments, and just to wind up that nice Mr 'Owd Grinder' not only are they diesels but from the wrong company too. ha ha ha.

post-8734-0-11823900-1308825097_thumb.jpg

post-8734-0-09432800-1308825170_thumb.jpg

post-8734-0-87828500-1308825236_thumb.jpg

The question now is, would the curve's within the wye have had cant on? My feeling is perhaps not because the trains would have to run fairly slow through the points on the wye anyway, plus we are talking the early nineteen hundreds here. Opinions greatly received.

Thanks Jack,

I need something to take my mind off those great big grey and yellow monsters that have "gotten lost and are crawling all over our two streaks of rusty rails" in the high desert of New Mexico! It seems that they're dodging the tumbleweeds far too easily and multiplying by the week.

All the best, John.

Hi....I don't know if any of you remember the one-time secretary {?} of the NMRA British Region, the late Peter Makin?

I visited his home a few times, years ago...and found his 'home' layout to be utterly delightful......a 'round-the-walls' oval, with a station/yard area off to one side, storage roads underneath.

It was a fictional railroad, he called it the 'New Mexico Central'...

Very 'high desert' in landscaping.....

That name always truck me as being so fitting and descriptive for a railroad of something like class one pretensions....

Locos were of a mix of SP-types and ATSF- types, giving flavour rather than accuracy...[plus, he bid me build up his MDC two-truck Shay..once he realised I had got mine working well]...

But the name he came up with, seemed so simple, yet evocative, to have emblazoned on a tender....I still wish I could come up with something as simple, yet without being in any way 'twee'....[somehow, the ''CActus Bush & Donkeydollop Railroad'' doesn't have the same ring of realism??}..yet I am reluctant to plagiarise...

Archived