Ranelagh Bridge Road

Danemouth

I've only just found this thread and I thought that layout looks terrific and the builder should be congratulated on something so small, but so impressive.. I've never seen scaffolding done on such a grand scale and it started me thinking about similar useage on my own layout.

All was great until I got to robbostrains post and then learned that the scaffolding had some fundamental faults. As a layman, I would never have known that and robbo, you were correct to point that out. The bit that's missing is perhaps you haven't gone the extra mile and given us some sketches or notes on how it should look. I'm sure it will help all the modellers on here who may wish to include scaffolding on their layout, but would probably make similar mistakes which are obvious to a scaffolder. but look fine to the average guy.

I'd love to read an article plus some sketches of the correct way to set a scaffold and your extensive experience in this field would be invaluable.

Any chance you could put something together for us?

I'd love to read an article plus some sketches of the correct way to set a scaffold and your extensive experience in this field would be invaluable.

Any chance you could put something together for us?

So would Paul (naturol) who built the scaffolding as a school project with his son, Elliott (10yrs.) I believe it may have been to show how the bracing and triangles give strength to a structure.

I'm thinking of having a large hadron collider as part of the backscene on my layout, there can't be too many RMWebbers with "an ology" in that department ?

Brian R

So would Paul (naturol) who built the scaffolding as a school project with his son, Elliott (10yrs.) I believe it may have been to show how the bracing and triangles give strength to a structure.

I'm thinking of having a large hadron collider as part of the backscene on my layout, there can't be too many RMWebbers with "an ology" in that department ?

Brian R

I think you will find a South Wales steel works would have to change countries to have one as a backscene laugh.gif

PS most of it is underground anyway............

Nice layout and I like the scaffolding. Just add a few diagonal braces (internal & external) & it will be OK. Ever been to Hong Kong & seen skyscrapers scaffolded with Bamboo poles tied together with rope ?, They don't give a toss about regulations, etc, but it works !!! I want to model a "Fred Dibnah" scene, ladders & scaffolding on a tall chimney. Will do one day.

I like the girder bridge & abutments, show us more please.

Brit15

• RMweb Gold

50 years ago, a tube ticket to Royal Oak was the best way to watch goings-on at Paddington, and an hour or two on the platform there gave ample time to inspect what sat in Ranelagh Yard. My immediate impression on seeing the OP's pics was that this is a stunning likeness. The intricate nature of the scaffolding I find utterly convincing, and being told it is inaccurate reduces my admiration for the model as a whole no more than the certain knowledge that the houses are low-relief and the Westerns are plastic. Super stuff!

Some more pictures, firstly in the Diesel Hydraulic era

post-7048-0-50908300-1296590893_thumb.jpg

post-7048-0-27885300-1296590894_thumb.jpg

post-7048-0-31484800-1296590895_thumb.jpg

post-7048-0-30921100-1296590896_thumb.jpg

post-7048-0-89876700-1296590896_thumb.jpg

post-7048-0-76658500-1296590897_thumb.jpg

post-7048-0-85405100-1296590898_thumb.jpg

post-7048-0-66438800-1296590899_thumb.jpg

and finally, earlier times

post-7048-0-38103700-1296590900_thumb.jpg

post-7048-0-04640800-1296590901_thumb.jpg

Dave

Hi,

Love the photo's, especially the hydraulics in front of the scaffolded building, just as I remember them - albeit not quite so clean!

Happy days.

John

THIS HAS TO BE THE MOST UNREALISTIC MODEL I HAVE EVER SEEN! There are builders, who appear to be working, on the scaffolding. ...

Yeah, but judging from the time frame covered by the pictures, from 1964-ish to mid 1980's, they can't have worked very hard if the scaffold was there for over twenty years.... :P :rolleyes: :D :D :D ;)

This layout is just stuffed with atmosphere!! :) B)

• 2 years later...

Just noticed this thread - absolutely love it. Superb piece of modelling that just about anyone could find the room for. Travelling from Pad to Reading in the 70s as a child, I would always look out for Ranelagh Bridge just to see what was there. Ironically, life in those terraces must have been pretty smoky and smelly but since cleaned up with the demise of steam, they're now a highly desirable and expensive address... Google Street View image below. According to Right Move, a one-bed flat in Gloucester Terrace is a cool £499,995...

post-17811-0-26334500-1367908709_thumb.jpg

Paul, who built this layout originally sold it sometime back.

He's almost finished a Mk 2 version set a little later when the turntable had been replaced with pointwork. It is DCC including a sound module.

I will probably be photographing it for him over the coming months and will post the pictures,

Regards,

Dave

• 5 months later...

{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252

{\fonttbl\f0\fnil\fcharset0 .HelveticaNeueInterface-M3;}

{\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;\red0\green0\blue0;}

\deftab720

\pard\pardeftab720\partightenfactor0

\f0\fs34 \cf2 \expnd0\expndtw0\kerning0

\outl0\strokewidth0 \strokec2 \

}

• 5 months later...

Hi Paul, it was really great to speak to earlier at the cheltenham show and your layout of ranelagh bridge was the best by far. (Brought back happy memories for dad). 

I had already followed your parcels point layout before today so it was good to know that you have been building it. 

Alex (and dad)

Archived