HEBRIDEAN ISLES FERRY

carl1967

• RMweb Premium

Hi Carl and Dave especially

I have measured two here at work where we have a few models in the foyer. They are about this same size or built to 1/100, 1/64 or sometimes just a unique scale that fitted an existing hull.

I thought that the level of detail and workmanship is exemplary and this was the only bit that didn't cut the mustard!

I was trying to help Carl have the absolute best model. Its certainly brilliant as it stands right now but in that small area could be made more realistic.

I aim to make the very best models I can and I think Carl also has that ideal.

I am only pointing out one small area of improvement.

I am going to point this model out to the training officer for CalMac when he arrives next week to talk to the officers he has placed here.

Hope that helps

Ian

I have measured two here at work where we have a few models in the foyer. They are about this same size or built to 1/100, 1/64 or sometimes just a unique scale that fitted an existing hull.

I thought that the level of detail and workmanship is exemplary and this was the only bit that didn't cut the mustard!

I was trying to help Carl have the absolute best model. Its certainly brilliant as it stands right now but in that small area could be made more realistic.

I am going to point this model out to the training officer for CalMac when he arrives next week to talk to the officers he has placed here.

Hope that helps

Ian

Hi Ian,

My comment was meant firmly with tongue in cheek. I'm sure Carl will realise that, after my various comments through his superb thread.

I think the ferry is just stunning but I think (as Carl clearly does too) that you were quite right to point out the minor error. It was meant as nothing more than a bit of fun. You really have to know about these beasts in order to find any fault whatsoever with Carl's modelling.

Hope that clears up any misunderstanding.

Cheers,

Dave

Hope that helps

Ian

Hi Ian

I did not take a fence at all at your comment, I know its wrong and is going to be rectified some what.

Me and Dave have been friends on here a long time, I know it was only in jest.

The problem I have is the lifeboats are to small, and that makes the davits look to high, so the cable is always going to look to long, so no mater what I do, its always going to look wrong. I cannot get lifeboats the right size unless I make them. If this was my model and money was no object I would, as I am not working at the moment I have to make do with what I have to work with.

I have sent pictures of this to calmac and got no reply. So would love for you to show it to him to see what he thinks.

Thanks

Carl

The problem I have is the lifeboats are to small, and that makes the davits look to high, so the cable is always going to look to long, so no mater what I do, its always going to look wrong. I cannot get lifeboats the right size unless I make them. If this was my model and money was no object I would, as I am not working at the moment I have to make do with what I have to work with.

Thanks

Carl

Could you not make a couple of pulleys out of 3 disks of plasticard each for the 0.7mm wire to go around and down the davit? That to me seems the big difference.

I've always been impressed with your ability to paint as you go along with this and not cock it up later by the way! Something i've tried a couple of times and mucked up with a stray finger covered in glue!

Hi all

I have redone the davit so it looks like the ones on heb, the cable from the pulley to the lifeboat is fixed with a u bolt at the lifeboat end and permanently fixed to the top pulley wheel. When lowered to the water, the pin in the u bolt is removed and the lifeboat is free, so the cable from the top pulley to the lifeboat is one piece, its lowered with cable running up over the one side wheels on the side of the davit down round the top pulley wheel fixed to the lifeboat then back up over wheels on the opposite side of the davit then down and fixed to the deck.

post-6809-127781079758.jpg

I cannot fix the length of the cable from the top pulley to the lifeboat as I said the lifeboats are to small, not in length but in depth and width.

So this is the best I can come up with minimal cost.

post-6809-127781117725_thumb.jpg

post-6809-127781119755_thumb.jpg

post-6809-127781121668_thumb.jpg

post-6809-127781123475_thumb.jpg

thanks

carl

Definitely a big improvement that, Carl. But to me, it now looks as though the rope holding the boat passes through the bottom of the boat and then round and up the side. That can't be how it is, can it? That must be a separate rope on the hull, right?

Dave

Could you not make a couple of pulleys out of 3 disks of plasticard each for the 0.7mm wire to go around and down the davit? That to me seems the big difference.

I've always been impressed with your ability to paint as you go along with this and not cock it up later by the way! Something i've tried a couple of times and mucked up with a stray finger covered in glue!

Hi Craig

The real davit pulleys are 10†wide, so in 1/76 they are 3.7mm wide. The real lowering cable is 1†thick, so to do the cables running on the pulleys I would have to use strands out of electrical wire 0.1mm thick. (Now theirs a thought) where did I put my magnifying glass!!!!

As for glue covered fingers…lol I use super glue, I squeeze some out on a lid and use scrap plastic card cut to a point to apply only what I need, or if the item is very small, I use a sharp knife and stab the item very gently and then dab it in the super glue on the lid (only just touch on top or the item will fall in and that’s it gone) then place it where its going on the model holding it there 10 secs and then wiggle the knife free. No glue on my fingers m8.

Definitely a big improvement that, Carl. But to me, it now looks as though the rope holding the boat passes through the bottom of the boat and then round and up the side. That can't be how it is, can it? That must be a separate rope on the hull, right?

Dave

Hi Dave

That is a stay bar on the side holding the lifeboat to the davit. Its removed before lowering.

you can see them in this picture, they are solid bars.

post-6809-127781445992.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Hi Guys!

Many thanks indeed for not telling me to go anywhere quickly!

I too think that is a great improvement already and as Craig says, you have already painted it! Amazing!

What actual size of lifeboat are you wanting as there may be some knocking about at work that aren't being used!

How many and the length, breadth and depth. Are they all like thses ones, open with oars or are some enclosed motor boats?

Norman Jones is the chap who keeps a close eye on his training officers so when he is next here I'll show him. Imissed him a couple of weeks ago as I was haveing a cataract operation.

I can see clearly now, at least in one eye!

Cheers

Ian in Blackpool

I'd just like to remind the participants of this thread that it's downright underhanded to take prototype photographs and photoshop them so they look like they're on your workbench. I've reported this thread to the mods and expect appropriate action to be taken shortly...how no-one has spotted what you're up to before Page 12 is beyond me... wink.gif

Seriously, however, I remain in awe of this project and am eternally grateful that I don't have the room to house one of these on my layout.

i like a challenge so here you gotongue.gif

post-6809-127799420525_thumb.jpg

post-6809-127799422641_thumb.jpg

post-6809-127799424716_thumb.jpg

post-6809-127799426791_thumb.jpg

post-6809-127799428648_thumb.jpg

post-6809-127799430566_thumb.jpg

post-6809-127799432172_thumb.jpg

post-6809-127799434198_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

Now that really does look the business. A small detail makes a big difference biggrin.gif

Still no red seats though!! ..................... Hows the moulding going?

Now that really does look the business. A small detail makes a big difference biggrin.gif

Still no red seats though!! ..................... Hows the moulding going?

i am going to do the seats last.....lol

I hadn't noticed anything was amissblink.gif Boats look perfect to me. Jetty for this Ferry is now in place. Just needs some under supports adding and a fair amount of detailing. Lookily for me it will be hidden behind the ferry so visitors won't point and say " Wow the ferrys great, but who made that shi##y model of the jetty"laugh.gif

Claggy

• Funny 1

I hadn't noticed anything was amissblink.gif Boats look perfect to me. Jetty for this Ferry is now in place. Just needs some under supports adding and a fair amount of detailing. Lookily for me it will be hidden behind the ferry so visitors won't point and say " Wow the ferrys great, but who made that shi##y model of the jetty"laugh.gif

Claggy

Hi mike

I am sorry to say this!! Heb only ever works her port side for embarking and disembarking from the stern.

Like this,

post-6809-127802677998_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I decided on a starboard side jetty, so I could see the ship in port, against my nifty linkspan. Should be ok?? She has foot/gangway doors on both sides doesn't she?

On a big version point, I'm hoping to get on the 'Heb' this coming new year, when does 'Finlaggan'(sure thats its name) take over? Wouldn't want to miss the old girl on her proper route.

Claggy

That's Port Askaig, with the Paps of Jura behind, isn't it?

Dave

Hi Dave

yes it is, your spot on m8

this morning i finished the railings under the starboard lifeboats and added the oar packs to them.

Just the stern to do now, and the seats ramrigtongue.gif

mike, there on both sides m8.

post-6809-127806648036_thumb.jpg

post-6809-1278066503_thumb.jpg

post-6809-127806652922_thumb.jpg

post-6809-127806655384_thumb.jpg

post-6809-127806657805_thumb.jpg

post-6809-127806660015_thumb.jpg

post-6809-127806662321_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Dave

yes it is, your spot on m8

this morning i finished the railings under the starboard lifeboats and added the oar packs to them.

Just the stern to do now, and the seats ramrigtongue.gif

mike, there on both sides m8.

If she was built in 1985, then would she have been on the Port Askaig run in 1986, do you know? That was when I did my geological mapping on Islay around Port Askaig. I used to watch the ferry come and go every day when I was out in the hills. I didn't realise this ferry was/may have been the one I used to watch. If so, Mike, you're going to need some additional home security wink.gif

Carl, thanks to those latest shots, I have now had a full relapse and my date for release back into the community has now been suspended indefinitely. My care officer doesn't believe the scribblings on the walls of my padded cell are my plans for a layout based on Oban. He says how can they be, I don't have the space.

Cheers,

Dave

If she was built in 1985, then would she have been on the Port Askaig run in 1986, do you know? That was when I did my geological mapping on Islay around Port Askaig. I used to watch the ferry come and go every day when I was out in the hills. I didn't realise this ferry was/may have been the one I used to watch. If so, Mike, you're going to need some additional home security wink.gif

Carl, thanks to those latest shots, I have now had a full relapse and my date for release back into the community has now been suspended indefinitely. My care officer doesn't believe the scribblings on the walls of my padded cell are my plans for a layout based on Oban. He says how can they be, I don't have the space.

Cheers,

Dave

laugh.gif lol...... dave you crack me up laffing ..........lollaugh.gif laugh_mini2.gif lol_mini2.gif rofl_mini.gif rofl_mini.gif laugh_mini.gif crazy_mini.gif crazy_mini.gif crazy_mini.gif crazy_mini.gif tongueclear.gif tongueclear.gif tongueclear.gif

hi all

took some time out from the ferry to repaint 3 BR MK1 NEA Full Brake coaches in to royal mail livery the last 2 days.

post-6809-127820666845_thumb.jpg

post-6809-127820669292_thumb.jpg

post-6809-12782067103_thumb.jpg

post-6809-127820674229_thumb.jpg

post-6809-127820676237_thumb.jpg

post-6809-127820678038_thumb.jpg

post-6809-127820679862_thumb.jpg

post-6809-127820681617_thumb.jpg

post-6809-12782068328_thumb.jpg

post-6809-127820687405_thumb.jpg

just have to wait for the decals to come from fox to finish them.

carl