Waverley West, Princes St Gardens and Haymarket MPD

Waverley West

Hi Dave,

I hope I did not come across as being too picky. The real problem is that I work in the window industry and notice such things. Normal people would neither notice or care.

Also, I wasn't sure if it was a local feature - I can think of ways it could be done, but we don't do it over here in Australia.

Cheers, Neil.

Hi Neil,

Thanks.

You're quite right of course about drainage on the roof lights. The windows wouldn't drain in reality and the prototype isn't quite like that. They should be much more flush with the roof, but I wanted to make sure I used a thick enough roof material to prevent any sagging. I could have put the windows just beneath the corrugated cladding I guess, but that would have got complicated and I didn't think of it at the time.  :scratchhead:

Fortunately, Waverley West is a utopia where it never rains and BR diesels of all shapes and colours reign supreme. :sungum:  

Cheers

• Like 1

Fortunately, Waverley West is a utopia where it never rains and BR diesels of all shapes and colours reign supreme. :sungum:  

How I wished I lived there!!! :D

Some fantastic buildings Dave which really compliment the rest of your work.  Looking forward to the grand finale with the larger of the sheds as that is going to be quite a project I guess.

Many thanks

Cheers

Lee 

How I wished I lived there!!! :D

Some fantastic buildings Dave which really compliment the rest of your work.  Looking forward to the grand finale with the larger of the sheds as that is going to be quite a project I guess.

Many thanks

Cheers

Lee 

Thanks Lee. The last loco shed is going to be the biggest project and I've been trying to develop my building-making skills on the smaller sheds first. It's the largest shed which is really the "signature" building at Haymarket, so I really want to get it right. 

The admin building is also going to be a challenge too after that. One thing at a time though!

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave,

I hope I did not come across as being too picky. The real problem is that I work in the window industry and notice such things. Normal people would neither notice or care.

Also, I wasn't sure if it was a local feature - I can think of ways it could be done, but we don't do it over here in Australia.

Cheers, Neil.

No worries, Neil. It's good to have input from people who know what they're talking about! I hadn't really paid much attention to the depth of the skylights or thought about drainage in my eagerness to get on with the project. I wanted to make sure the windows on the sides were flush but I didn't put as much thought into the skylights.

Cheers

Dave 

• RMweb Premium

And of course as this progresses, we will have updates here - and WW is one of the good reasons for being an RMWeb member.  Not my era in terms of modelling - I'd love to see the odd Black 5 or Duchess, but you can't have everything....

Keep up the good work Dave, you're creating an icon with this excellent layout.

Hi folks,

Just before I take the building up to the layout, I thought I'd take a few pics of it in the sunshine. It still needs some interior structure installing, but I'm waiting on an order for some girders from Kernow Models, so I'll do that later.

post-7247-0-62108400-1445336921_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-64479800-1445336828_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-37346800-1445336820_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Dave

• Like 14

Looks great Dave.

Who's windows do you use?

Cheers Peter.

Thanks for that link Dave - they had the exact octagonal chimney pots that I have been looking for a long time to top out Northbridge Station Building

Jim

Beggin' your pardon, guys, but I've just remembered that the windows for the extension at the front of the building and the skylights came from Brassmasters.

http://www.brassmasters.co.uk/etched_windows_prices_specs_4mm.htm

It was the main side windows that came from Peedie models.

They have both provided great service in my experience so far.

No links with either, except for being the majority shareholder of both. Well, alright then, I made that last bit up. :jester:

Cheers

Dave

Like the photo taken outside you could almost imagine going inside to work brilliant modelling whats next?

The main shed in the photo below

https://www.flickr.com/photos/72123072@N04/8332834003/in/photolist-dGkXeM-qcBeBi-hnbQX-9Sckqu-o3Tefi-hEESz1-z8yPqS-a49y4o-cmWwgU-wb2Hfi-a8DVSD-p6Vtzb-neaP6p-krTqAx-nNMrHm-qTG4F2-eej3Aj-7tRKNF-eadRzC-869GRF-jtipJZ-8YXztp-hnR1J-sA9jXK-geaEBE-a2ZY53-q89uYC-a3Quvf-trvubm-9iVatg-oPP42j-47x5Qu-4VBEkF-4VBECk-p7iG9i-7CSyrR-rvjDcU-86Qmz2-ipvdm6-qhv9XH-jGhhSV-jGgREH-jGh5uk-naLAFN-hFo8vv-9B7yAV-rMPhG4-fVK96Y-a54eRz-aecvah

The one I've just done can be seen on the far right and one of the two I did earlier is on the left.

Cheers

Dave

Edited by Waverley West

Now that is how you model at TMD!

Top class modelling Dave, great to see your work of art in its final position.

If I can get my depot to look half as good as yours then I will be over the moon.

I cannot wait to see the last building, saving the best to last.

Cheers, Alex. I'm actually quite nervously excited about doing that last building and can't wait to see what it looks like either! It really is the signature building of the whole depot.

Here's one of those shots in B&W, which I think looks quite good...

post-7247-0-08145900-1445369694_thumb.jpg

Edited by Waverley West
  • Like 15