Waverley West, Princes St Gardens and Haymarket MPD

Waverley West

Thanks Peter.

You're right, I couldn't help myself with the 56. Mine runs pretty well generally but that coupling mechanism really does drive me up the wall. I have written to Hornby twice to give my (constructive and polite) feedback on the problem but they didn't bother to reply, not even with an acknowledgement.

Fortunately, Hornby don't seem too interested in diesels generally so most of my fleet comes from Bachmann and Heljan who put the coupling on the bogie, which generally makes for a pretty trouble-free set-up in my experience.

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave,

I don't blame you it is a nice model. I use Kadee couplers and haven't had too many problems when the loco is pulling the train but any shunting can cause problems.

Shame you haven't heard back from Hornby I thought they were quite good at replying to customer feedback.

I might have a look at trying to attach the couplers to the bogie somehow.

Loving the pics keep them coming.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

Hi Dave,

I don't blame you it is a nice model. I use Kadee couplers and haven't had too many problems when the loco is pulling the train but any shunting can cause problems.

Shame you haven't heard back from Hornby I thought they were quite good at replying to customer feedback.

I might have a look at trying to attach the couplers to the bogie somehow.

Loving the pics keep them coming.

Cheers Peter.

Cheers Peter. I'd be very interested to see if you have any success attaching the couplers to the bogie. If there was a relatively easy way, I'd probably do all my Hornby fleet.

Dave

Hi Dave

I've just had a bit of a catch-up read and what a treat it was.  Post #2451 really shows off your hard work and is testament to you model building skills.  The flow of the yard and the buildings all compliment each other to produce a very fine looking MPD.

Love the 27 with the inspection saloon... superb, please keep the pics coming.

Cheers

Lee

• RMweb Gold

Great great pics and views as ever.

I see that this most enjoyable of threads will soon reach its century (in pages).

A real tribute to a great layout.

Kev.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi WW,

How come at one stage we were both at same place and now your shed looks amazing and mine still looks like bare boards... Very impressive with both quality and pace.

Saw your comment re Hornby 56. This seems to be the same problem as the 60 has. I spent a long time playing with a rogue 60 that pulled the first wagon off the track on any corner greater than 4 th rad and eventually concluded that the issue is the rough cut of the slot which the coupling cam runs in on the chassis. Lubricating can help but I eventually fully solved the problem completely by filing a little around the central v on the metal chassis (basically the bit that pulls the coupler in towards the loco when at dead centre). I've found this has fully resolved the issue without any additional weight in the wagons. I shoved a load of grease in too just to make sure. The root of the problem seemed to be that the coupling didn't like going from one side of the cam to the other, getting caught going across the dead centre on that rough bit. I didn't take much off - just enough to make run smoothly and remove any burrs.

Hope this helps - as you say we shouldn't really have to but both the 56 & 60 are lovely models apart from this and the fact that drive trains seem to end regular lubrication.

Matt

ps have never got a reply from Hornby customer service yet on a couple of queries...

• RMweb Premium

Yes Phil - only the first part of Waverley's west end platforms are modelled.  Waverley is a station that lends itself to this approach.  Good luck scanning back through the thread - it's inspirational, even if the boxes are blue things with funny arrows!

EDIT - the very first post shows it!

Edited by New Haven Neil
  • Like 1

An unusual visitor in the shape of 31174 passes through Waverley with a nuclear flask train...

attachicon.gif31174 1.jpg

Remember spotting a 31 at waverley must have been mid, late 80s. What a moment. I only had one underline in the platform 5 book until I was older and got down south. It ran out into the west end of waverley i think from platforms 8/9 right in front of the stabled shunter and then ran back down east again. Edited by millerhillboy

Hi Dave

Did the big shed build go according to plan?

Pete

Hi Pete,

It did, thanks. Actually, if I'd know you were going to make such a good job of those etches, I'd have made them finer. There are more window bars in reality and I thought they might have looked too chunky had I modelled them faithfully. I think with the fineness of your etches, it would have worked though. 

Cheers

Dave