Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Good Manners

The OP states that they would like information about a station abc but declares that they have already looked in book xyz and searched the web.

The answers comes back to look in book pqr or on a linked to web page.

The OP is happy with the answer.

But when searched for and found weeks later another with less information. doesn't know what exactly the OP had to start with, what other locations on the web were known and for example if the disused stations site had been looked at.

I think between the OP's statement of where they have already looked, and the suggestions of further places to look, the full information will normally be accessible. As I suggested further back, if the OP is vague about where they have looked then the obvious places will appear in the responses. If they are specific then they have given the information anyway.

BTW use of the male gender is quite intentional, in every instance I can think of on RMWeb those of the female gender who post a reply or information seem to do so with care and after study of the thread.

I'll take that as a compliment then! I get that paranoid at times I read subjects like this and automatically think "Do they mean me?" (I have heard that somewhere else..) so it is reassuring to know that I must be behaving correctly (apart from me going on for ages of course).... But I do agree that if someone does not acknowledge a post or some information with 'thanks' then it does make me very dubious about replying on list again in future. The same applies where I (and others) answer a question which appears to have been totally ignored and then another person answers with exactly the same answer that had previously given then receives thanks for it. Don't you just love 'invisible ink?'

I have been asked a question via pm today which I am happy to help with but also wonder whether my respnse would be of interest/use to the readership as a whole. But as this request has been sent via pm then I shall respond via that medium.

• RMweb Premium

I know it's irritating not to receive thanks, but unlike forgetting to say "thank you" while face to face with someone or perhaps on the phone (pretty inexcusable really), it's all too easy to forget to click on that little button when posting.

I'm sure I'm guilty of this from time to time, but it's certainly not intentional!

Off forum, if you recieve information by e-mail or PM, then say thankyou by the same method.

On forum, if you started the thread, say thankyou on the thread. (Doesn't need to be a seperate thankyou to each response - one "Thanks to all who replied" would suffice). For anyone else who makes use of the info provided theres the vote + button...

Simple as..

• RMweb Gold

At the other end of the spectrum from those being frowned upon in this thread, I yesterday read a thread where the OP, who is building a monster model of a deceased terminus in a Northern city, asked a technical question re achieving a certain effect in plastic. He received a number of innovative and detailed replies, and each was met with a warm "thankyou", together with a quick view of how applicable their idea was to his needs and the work in hand. Polite? Not half! I just know if this chap asks further questions, these people and others will leap to offer anything of value. You reap what you sow, as they say.

• RMweb Gold

At the other end of the spectrum from those being frowned upon in this thread, I yesterday read a thread where the OP, who is building a monster model of a deceased terminus in a Northern city, asked a technical question re achieving a certain effect in plastic. He received a number of innovative and detailed replies, and each was met with a warm "thankyou", together with a quick view of how applicable their idea was to his needs and the work in hand. Polite? Not half! I just know if this chap asks further questions, these people and others will leap to offer anything of value. You reap what you sow, as they say.

Again,

Thank you Ian for bringing this example to our attention.

I'd like to thank you all (ladies and gentlemen :lol: ) who have responded so positively to my original post.

Can we put this to bed now and get back to some modelling....or helping those that need assistance?

Regards

Richard

If I respond to a topic, it is usually because the topic is of interest to me and I wil revisit the topic again to see how others have responded and to get ideas myself. Likewise, if I post a new topic, I tend to keep an eye for new posts and show my appreciation for others response.

What does get my goat though, is people not responding when you have sent them something. Twice last year I sent out some of my PCB sleeper frets, completely free of charge to 2 members. Neither responded that they received them. First time I put it down to the fact that he may have been too busy. On the second occaision, I PM'd the person and received no response, yet they later appeared on his layout's website implying that he had made them himself. In both cases they were long time RMweb members with high post counts.

What this has done is to make me charge for at least the postage these days, even if the parts are being given away.

Maybe my values are just a bit out of date these days.

I have come to recognise some questions that are not questions really but appear to be an excuse to start a thread then find ways of keeping it going. I'm not sure thanks are expected or given really. Example..... What colour scheme followed on from blood and custard ? A number of people respond saying BR maroon then the OP comes back with... So what colour followed BR maroon then? The response is blue & grey, upon which the OP asks, Does anyone think blue and grey was dull and boring? A row breaks out....:D

It's only an illustration and any resemblance to something actually written on RMweb is purely coincidental. ;)

Maybe my values are just a bit out of date these days.

So what if they are? They're YOUR values, and part of your individuality. At the end of the day, we are responsible for our own actions and reactions, commisions and omissions.

I once visited an old (and Godly) friend with a vexing problem with some younger (but not much) men at my former church, who were behaving quite badly. I didn't get to the question, but I did get the answer; we chatted about generalities for a short while - not having seen each other for some weeks - then she turned to me and said something to the effect that I really ought never to worry about what other people are doing, as long as I was doing what was right. Not having any office in that fellowship this was, of course, excellent advice. If it was not my place to correct these brothers in the fellowship to which I belonged, how much more appropriate in the wider context! Though I do make an exception where harm might result from inaction.

In memoriam Gwyneth King-Davies. Requiescat in Pace.

Guest dilbert

So what colour followed BR maroon then? The response is blue & grey, upon which the OP asks, Does anyone think blue and grey was dull and boring? A row breaks out....:D

It's only an illustration and any resemblance to something actually written on RMweb is purely coincidental. ;)

But in the first incarnation of this version of the forum software, ISTR that there was also a red 'minus' button (or was it blue with FYE) - and this was disabled to prevent the modelling version of WWIII breaking out... dilbert

• RMweb Gold

But in the first incarnation of this version of the forum software, ISTR that there was also a red 'minus' button (or was it blue with FYE) - and this was disabled to prevent the modelling version of WWIII breaking out... dilbert

But we do at least have the 'Report' button - which seems an excellent idea, especially after I one of the Mods explained what it could be used for (I last used it to report myself - that must be the ultimate in either good manners or ……. unsure.gif)

H'mm,... Good Manners, ..Eh..?.

Within this RMweb community, I would say "It's (in the main) Good" :good_mini: .

I am guilty, myself :blush_mini: , of not thanking the members who've replied to some of my questions. The excuse ?, behind this, is for me to assimulate, and put to use, the knowledge gained.

Once I've settled on a course of action, I'll reply, with 'Thanks'.

Spreading the topic wider...My biggest gripe, regarding 'Manners', is with the 'Small Suppliers'

I've provided numerous drawings, plans, photographs, etc., on loan, or so I thought ?, to, at least, three.

Others, have used edited versions of my plans, for part of their kit instructions, whilst one book, in particular, is still incorporating the mistakes I made in my original drawings..??

None have acknowleged their sources, thanked personally, or returned the lent items.

All's fair in love and modelling....Or so it seems.

Regards

whilst one book, in particular, is still incorporating the mistakes I made in my original drawings..??

Isn't it bit late to correct a book once published? Unlike digital medium which can be corrected on the fly - including adding a belated acknowledgment.

They may not have been clear on the loan aspect unless it was specifically spelled out. I expect they thought it was just one copy among many.

But there is no excuse for using your copyright drawings to their product advantage without at least a plain acknowledgment, of course their use may have been considered as implicitly given by the act of sending them copies.

Oh, hay. Can I just say thank you in advance, I’m going to ask a lot of silly (sometimes) obvious questions. I’m new here.

I have noticed that the 'thank you' button is being increasingly ignored recently, hopefully due to people just not knowing about it.

As for manners, well if you don't say thanks this time you'll not get any help next time. Simple.

Here's the first.:D

Where's the thank you button? I'm still stumbling around finding my way.

Regards,

Mark

Where's the thank you button? I'm still stumbling around finding my way.

It's not actually called that (obviously)wink.gif It's the little green 'plus' sign, bottom right of the post. You can use it to 'vote up' the post for any reason really.

It's not actually called that (obviously)wink.gif It's the little green 'plus' sign, bottom right of the post. You can use it to 'vote up' the post for any reason really.

Thanks!

Some other forums I have joined it is that obvious. I'll find my way around eventually.:D

Isn't it bit late to correct a book once published? Unlike digital medium which can be corrected on the fly - including adding a belated acknowledgment.

They may not have been clear on the loan aspect unless it was specifically spelled out. I expect they thought it was just one copy among many.

But there is no excuse for using your copyright drawings to their product advantage without at least a plain acknowledgment, of course their use may have been considered as implicitly given by the act of sending them copies.

Not quite sure whether I've got through to all, sufficiently, without going into details.

The book's drawings, in question, should have been checked out regarding prototype accuracy, instead of re-drawing, and relying on previously published plans.

The plans, and photographs, which were lent to others, were done so, on the explicit understanding between both parties, that they were to be returned.

Re :- 'Kit producer(s)', One, I posted (in the days before PCs, E-mail & suchlike) sufficient photographs to, possibly, enable him to produce the external detail he was looking for,.. Result, no returned thanks, acknowledgement, or return of said photos.

Secondly, Ex SR Coach BR / OPC underframe plans, handed over in my own front room, with the express condition, that they were on loan only,

I've been in contact with the recipient (last year), who now denies knowledge of any such meeting / agreement.

Thirdly, I've also been in contact with another well known kit producer, to advise them of my later observations regarding certain coach underframe alterations. Some of their kits also use edited model railway magazine drawings to provide construction information, on their instruction sheets, without defference to anyone else, or any reply.

As we're all in this hobby together?, I would like to think that we can, and should, help each other, as far as we can.

But, some, just extract the Yellow liquid.

Regards.

It's not just modelling. I've had technical disagreements with my last several deputy managers (my immediate seniors, at least in theory) and then, having won the arguments (sometimes with a phone call to GP/Pharmacist/Delphic Oracle/whoever first to verify that I'm not making it up) had to sit through a long, seemingly authoratative lecture in which everything I said is quoted back as that person's own wisdom. With errors where they clearly haven't fully understood what was said in the first place! This has happened to me a lot for the last twenty years at least...

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!

• 1 month later...

As a tailpiece to this, being more often a respondent than a questioner, I've recently taken up the practice of using the 'thanks' button for members who do come back to their thread to acknowledge the help they've been given. Something to think about, maybe?

I can only concur with Ceptic. Assisting others with photos and information is often feeding people with info that they show no gratitude for.

EFE asked for colour info. I sent part of a prewar panel showing original paint. Did I get an acknowlegement or free bus....not on your nellie.

Book publishers..."We would really like you to assist us with this book". Repro fees? Ah, still waiting....

End Result : Don't come to me for photos...I'd rather burn the bloody lot than help line anyone elses pockets!

.....Secondly, Ex SR Coach BR / OPC underframe plans, handed over in my own front room, with the express condition, that they were on loan only,

I've been in contact with the recipient (last year), who now denies knowledge of any such meeting / agreement. .....

Theft.

I can only concur with Ceptic. Assisting others with photos and information is often feeding people with info that they show no gratitude for.

EFE asked for colour info. I sent part of a prewar panel showing original paint. Did I get an acknowlegement or free bus....not on your nellie.

Book publishers..."We would really like you to assist us with this book". Repro fees? Ah, still waiting....

End Result : Don't come to me for photos...I'd rather burn the bloody lot than help line anyone elses pockets!

Larry - I'm sorry, haven't got round to your paint sample yet...have hardly been at the office to get it done...haven't forgotten though...sackcloth and ashes for Mr Coulls!

Archived