The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

School - 1971 vs 2011

Personally speaking, I place the blame for a lot of this at the foot of 24 hour media and doom-laden newspaper editors. Nowadays we have people force feeding us with bad news, which over time people will pick up and genuinely start to believe. Fifty years ago you could be a male teacher and not have somebody label you as a suspected peadophile, but thanks to some hyped-up news stories from various purveyors of hyped-up news that isn't the case as much. Case in point - a would-be male teacher doing his PGCE alongside my girlfriend was approached by a parent during school chucking-out time. Because he was, in the eyes of this parent, a 'strange male', he was subjected to a volley of accusations. When he finally got a word in to assure the parent that he was in fact a teacher, the parent simply shrugged their shoulders and walked off.

In my view the world, in essence, is no worse now than it was pre-1970s - it might even be better. After all, does anyone genuinely believe that a child would have been safe from the nasty side of certain people in a Victorian workhouse? It's just that media power and a few busybodies in Whitehall, coupled with a ever increasing number of people prepared to take anything thats splashed across the tabloids as gospel, have skewed our view of the world.

I remain, perhaps in vain, hopeful that we might yet see sense again.

You've actually got a point there Richard. The media would have us believe that there is a "dodgy person" on every street corner. Couple that with a lot of people who no longer seem to be able to use their intelligence and think for themselves and you've got a recipe for critical mass.

The world has changed a lot since 1971. But let's not kid ourselves it's all for the worse. I recall being hit by all manner of implements by sundry teachers (all of which were illegal even then) and I just had to put up with it. I was not a particularly bad lad, just had a sense of humour and tended to laugh at absurdities. I'm glad that modern kids don't get treated like that, even though some of the thugs probably deserve it.

People clamour for 'something to be done' about this and that. Politicians respond by passing laws. Often the laws are stupid and then are badly implemented. We also now have a litigious society when everyone and his dog claims for everything. This is our fault, collectively. We make the clamours and vote for the politicians, and if there's blame we make a claim.

• RMweb Premium

You've actually got a point there Richard. The media would have us believe that there is a "dodgy person" on every street corner. Couple that with a lot of people who no longer seem to be able to use their intelligence and think for themselves and you've got a recipe for critical mass.

Some years ago i was told that the main sponsor of Crimestoppers was ADT the alarm company. I'm not sure if they still are. It was obviously in their business interests to pronote the fear of crime. At the same time the government were giving us a target of reducing the fear of crime. Somnthing was co9ckeyed or was it the usual story of the left hand not knowing what the right hand was doing.

Jamie

Guest Max Stafford

Thank you Peter.

During the course, we are told about the inequalities with working practices between male and female teachers. I have to be so careful, and make sure any actions I take cannot be misinterpreted. It does make things very difficult at times.

In 1971, Simon, there was a big fence across the middle of Europe, separating our world from another world where that kind of care in conversation was a pre-requisite for maintaining your liberty and occasionally survival.

Dave.

Fifty years ago you could be a male teacher and not have somebody label you as a suspected peadophile,...

It's not just teachers... this thread has reminded me that last year in a major High Street store, I was not allowed to go in the Male Fitting Rooms with my son, and they had a male member of staff at the entrance to make sure "Company Policy" was followed - no male was allowed to take their children in the Fitting Rooms, period. My wife had to take our lad in the Female area, instead.

At the time I just found it irritating; the more I think about it the more incensed I am, because of the seriously implied level of mistrust that that Company has of anyone male... :angry: <_< :(

... I just wish I could remember which Company it was...!! :blink: :rolleyes:

Guest dilbert

... this thread has reminded me that last year in a major High Street store, I was not allowed to go in the Male Fitting Rooms with my son, and they had a male member of staff at the entrance to make sure "Company Policy" was followed -

The day daughter #1 was informed that she had successfully obtained her Masters Law degree, I invited her to the local Chinese restaurant for a midday meal... it was a Friday and missus d. was at work... no problem... I did receive some funny looks though, of the predujicial type, (eg lacking in reasoned thought)... dilbert

Yes, I expect similar when my magnificent young amazon comes of age. But I won't care.

I had a problem with Debenhams a few years ago; my wife is physically disabled* and needs assistance in changing rooms. I told them this, then produced proof of my RGN status (and I could tell you stories about that). No chance - and they declined to help her themselves. I left them with my store card (zero balance) and off we went...

...To the Docks branch (sadly gone) of Edinburgh Woolen Mill, where we were treated with great kindness. When I was there, no-one batted an eyelid if I went into the changing rooms with the wife. If not - help was always at hand. Not everywhere is silly.

*She does, on the other hand, have a Master's.

Anyone want to hear how I had Security brought to me in Sainsbury's one Christmas?

Here goes, then:

1st December 2005, at approx. 09:00 – 09:30; Sainsbury's, Northgate Street, Gloucester.

I witnessed an accident involving an elderly visually impaired lady and a pallet half loaded with goods, which had been deposited at the end of an aisle. I offered my services to a member of staff, identifying myself as a Registered General Nurse, and was pointedly ignored. The casualty was left sprawled across a pile of goods whose equilibrium seemed doubtful; I therefore ascertained that she had suffered no serious injury, called for a chair, and sat her upon it. I obtained her consent and carried out an examination of her knees, this being the only area she felt might be injured. The First Aider (FA) had appeared by then and took details with a piece of paper. I shared my findings with the casualty - which were contrary to those given by FA, who had not looked - and FA responded by making some racket about taking details. I responded in turn by reminding her that according to what I had been taught about the HASAWA and OSRPA (stricter in my workplace than in a shop, as it turns out) the accident book should have been filled in before all concerned, not in an office from a scrap of paper. I then did my professional duty and stated that, though I felt she was fine, I was legally obliged to mention seeing her GP or an A&E Medical Officer (because RGNs can't legally make diagnoses).

Enter the short shaven headed manager - with uniformed security!

"Don't tell my woman what to do!" - i swallowed the obvious "isn't she a bit old for you, son?" and said nothing.

"You're not a First Aider here! What are you interfering for?"

"No, I'm not" - I replied - "In fact, I'm not a First Aider anywhere. I'm a Registered General Nurse with fifteen years post-qualification experience in care of the elderly. And I was first on the scene."

This exchange we repeated almost verbatim. Then the ridiculous little oik informed me that I was in breach of the Data Protection Act - so I calmly informed him that this was impossible, since I was taking no details. He then informed me that he would not be taking my details, either. (Nah-na-na nah-nah!)

I then turned to the security chappy, who managed to signal his disagreement and that he'd rather be elsewhere. So - satisfied that my casualty was safe - I left. I have to say that I felt sorry the obnoxious little runt didn't lay hands on me.

This was the second (and last) time I was threatened in Gloucester for doing my job; the first involved an unconscious male who, I was informed, was neither diabetic nor epileptic. And had this paragon of an amateur diagnostician actually done a blood glucose reading or EEG? No; the casualty had his arm under his head and was not foaming at the mouth. What? It turns out that Hippocrates Returned used to be a nurse (male, early/mid twenties, definitely not of retirement age nor old enough to have been qualified for long) but refused to answer my resonable question about when he qualified (therefore he didn't). At least when I asked him to produce a cellphone he finally did - and called the police!

I waited for the blue light and then disappeared.

Here goes, then:

1st December 2005, at approx. 09:00 – 09:30; Sainsbury's, Northgate Street, Gloucester.

I witnessed an accident involving an elderly visually impaired lady and a pallet half loaded with goods, which had been deposited at the end of an aisle. I offered my services to a member of staff, identifying myself as a Registered General Nurse, and was pointedly ignored. The casualty was left sprawled across a pile of goods whose equilibrium seemed doubtful; I therefore ascertained that she had suffered no serious injury, called for a chair, and sat her upon it. I obtained her consent and carried out an examination of her knees, this being the only area she felt might be injured. The First Aider (FA) had appeared by then and took details with a piece of paper. I shared my findings with the casualty - which were contrary to those given by FA, who had not looked - and FA responded by making some racket about taking details. I responded in turn by reminding her that according to what I had been taught about the HASAWA and OSRPA (stricter in my workplace than in a shop, as it turns out) the accident book should have been filled in before all concerned, not in an office from a scrap of paper. I then did my professional duty and stated that, though I felt she was fine, I was legally obliged to mention seeing her GP or an A&E Medical Officer (because RGNs can't legally make diagnoses).

Enter the short shaven headed manager - with uniformed security!

"Don't tell my woman what to do!" - i swallowed the obvious "isn't she a bit old for you, son?" and said nothing.

"You're not a First Aider here! What are you interfering for?"

"No, I'm not" - I replied - "In fact, I'm not a First Aider anywhere. I'm a Registered General Nurse with fifteen years post-qualification experience in care of the elderly. And I was first on the scene."

This exchange we repeated almost verbatim. Then the ridiculous little oik informed me that I was in breach of the Data Protection Act - so I calmly informed him that this was impossible, since I was taking no details. He then informed me that he would not be taking my details, either. (Nah-na-na nah-nah!)

I then turned to the security chappy, who managed to signal his disagreement and that he'd rather be elsewhere. So - satisfied that my casualty was safe - I left. I have to say that I felt sorry the obnoxious little runt didn't lay hands on me.

This was the second (and last) time I was threatened in Gloucester for doing my job; the first involved an unconscious male who, I was informed, was neither diabetic nor epileptic. And had this paragon of an amateur diagnostician actually done a blood glucose reading or EEG? No; the casualty had his arm under his head and was not foaming at the mouth. What? It turns out that Hippocrates Returned used to be a nurse (male, early/mid twenties, definitely not of retirement age nor old enough to have been qualified for long) but refused to answer my resonable question about when he qualified (therefore he didn't). At least when I asked him to produce a cellphone he finally did - and called the police!

I waited for the blue light and then disappeared.

When the security guard started making sarcastic comments, you should have said "how can I help you, failed Police entrant?"......B)

To show it isn't all doom and gloom, I have seen a sign/poster in one of our French rooms saying that the school has a large selection of railway memoribilia stored due to the lack of a suitable museum and the owners were willing to show students the collections! Fingers crossed I am one of the lucky few :)

Just got this in an Email from a friend... some of you have probably seen it before, but it certainly reminded me of this thread.....

An Obituary printed in the London Times - Interesting and sadly rather true.

Today we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend, Common Sense, who has been with us for many years. No one knows for sure how old he was, since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape. He will be remembered as having cultivated such valuable lessons as:

- Knowing when to come in out of the rain;

- Why the early bird gets the worm;

- Life isn't always fair;

- and maybe it was my fault.

Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (don't spend more than you can earn) and reliable strategies (adults, not children, are in charge).

His health began to deteriorate rapidly when well-intentioned but overbearing regulations were set in place. Reports of a 6-year-old boy charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate; teens suspended from school for using mouthwash after lunch; and a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student, only worsened his condition.

Common Sense lost ground when parents attacked teachers for doing the job that they themselves had failed to do in disciplining their unruly children.

It declined even further when schools were required to get parental consent to administer sun lotion or an aspirin to a student; but could not inform parents when a student became pregnant and wanted to have an abortion.

Common Sense lost the will to live as the churches became businesses; and criminals received better treatment than their victims.

Common Sense took a beating when you couldn't defend yourself from a burglar in your own home and the burglar could sue you for assault.

Common Sense finally gave up the will to live, after a woman failed to realize that a steaming cup of coffee was hot. She spilled a little in her lap, and was promptly awarded a huge settlement.

Common Sense was preceded in death, by his parents, Truth and Trust, by his wife, Discretion, by his daughter, Responsibility, and by his son, Reason.

He is survived by his 4 stepbrothers;

I Know My Rights

I Want It Now

Someone Else Is To Blame

I'm A Victim

Archived