The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

School - 1971 vs 2011

there are no Male Teachers (since everyone is now suspicious of any man who expresses a desire to work with children)

That's so true!

I was training as a teacher, by doing a Primary PGCE - one head teacher at a school where I was having a teaching practice actually said that she was "of any young man who wanted to work with young children". My mum, who's a primary of many years' experience was very angry when she heard this but not surprised.

After this and a similar comment at my next school I left not long afterwards as my heart wasn't in it. And sadly I know plenty of other lads who had similar experiences.

• RMweb Premium

Strangely no Head has ever made such a remark to me or within my hearing whether I am stood in the nursery or Y6 classroom. There are several possible reasons for this; I am old enough to be their Dad, I look like Father Christmas or that I would be onto the Union secretary before they had drawn another breath. She was clearly a bully and you should have reported her to your college. More than anything else school children need positive male role models and any head who cannot see beyond her own predjudice isn't worth her salary.

Any head who passes comments such as those should at the very least be reported to the LEA.

All the staff I've had the pleasure of working with have been very supportive, and encouraged to see a male entering primary education. One of my 2 placement schools has no male staff at all. my current 1 has 2 male teachers.

Hello. I'm training to teach 7-11 year olds...... biggrin.gif

In one school I taught at I was the only male; even the caretaker was a lady.

Teacher's I've worked with wouldn't put themselves in a position of being alone with a child unless it couldn't be helped; if I was listening to a child read and I was on my own, I'd do it in a more public space like a corridor rather than behind a classroom door.

Good luck with your career Simon.

PS All the Heads I've known would jump at the chance of having a male member of staff, all things being equal.

That's so true!

I was training as a teacher, by doing a Primary PGCE - one head teacher at a school where I was having a teaching practice actually said that she was "of any young man who wanted to work with young children". My mum, who's a primary of many years' experience was very angry when she heard this but not surprised.

After this and a similar comment at my next school I left not long afterwards as my heart wasn't in it. And sadly I know plenty of other lads who had similar experiences.

We really do need a damned good 'cull' of politically correct jobsworths such as the head that you mention.<_<

However it's not all doom and gloom in the education world.

Sometimes it was possible to arrange a trip to somewhere with a railway flavour. Once we all went over on the Woolwich Ferry to visit the (now closed) North Woolwich Railway Museum - well at least I enjoyed the day.

I also remember one morning arriving at work to find a "Networker" coach parked outside the school, stuck on a low loader (I was at a school near Hither Green depot). I got my class to come out and stand for a group photo in front of it! Never did get to the bottom of why they'd left the coach there.

We really do need a damned good 'cull' of politically correct jobsworths such as the head that you mention.dry.gif

What is the proportion of male / female teaching staff these days, anyway? It's beginning to sound a bit like an episode of The Worm That Turned. Y'know, the one where Ronnie Barker's voiceover intoned:

"The year is 2012. England is ruled by Man's greatest enemy: Woman."

How (nearly) prophetic that was.

• RMweb Premium

1976 Whilst a single man I was approached by the lads who delivered my papers asking if I would be the responsible adult to get shed permits for them (They had seen models on my windowsill) we had many trips out and got all round the country and had a great time. No official involvement but sometimes a couple of the fathers would come along and help count them on and off escalators in London.

2011 the club I belong to now has a thriving junior section, after many yeas without one. We have had to think about child protection and contacted the local authority. Got very sensible sound advice and things go well. They are all involved in layout construction and most attend without their parents. Not everything has gone down the swannee. Fortunately there are several of us in the club who are CRB'd in other fields and are aware of the basics.

Jamie

Suggest you read TELEGRAPH link if you think that its all conjecture, its already reached he European Court..

Thanks for the link, and interesting story and an awful situation for those involved. I suppose did not make myself clear, but until your link, the scenarios posted were purely hypothetical and extreme, and as a result, pointless! If the OP had started with a link like yours I would perhaps understand the purpose of this thread. As I said in my earlier post, I do agree that this political correctness thing has gone too far.

Its very tough for teachers now for other reasons, my school was one of the top state schools in the country and some teachers still came in for a lot of grief from the students. However, we must remember its not all down hill for schools - many have fantastic computer facilities, virtual learning environments, sports, music and drama facilities and interactive white boards!

Taking the OP another way...

1971 - Repton is in the USA, Stowe is static at Beaulieu and Cheltenham is part of the national collection, possibly running on the mainline?

2011 - Repton is in steam on the NYMR, Stowe's tender has been overhauled and the loco is awaiting overhaul at the Bluebell and Cheltenham is under overhaul at Eastleigh!

This topic makes very interesting reading.

The education system isn't an awful lot different here either - my Son is 7 and started school in August.

Whatever anyone says, a mix of male and female teachers can only be a good thing. In Thomas' school, there are four years, each with four classes. That makes sixteen classes plus the headmistress. There is one male teacher.

Sometimes I despair when I hear some of the things that happen - we have had one or two little problems with him since he started school - nothing serious, just little boy stuff (he is his own worst enemy) and so the teachers have suggested that we keep a log book. I really do wonder when I read some of the comments.

"Thomas threw a snowball in the playground, and hit a girl with it" (Isn't that the idea?!?) Still, at least they were allowed out into the playground - usually they aren't when it snows.

• RMweb Premium

What is the proportion of male / female teaching staff these days, anyway?

Primary still has far more female teacher than male ones. On my PGCE (primary) course last year there were 9 ladies for every man, things get even more extreme in early years. Most of the schools in which I have worked since qualifying (as a supply teacher) have only had one or two male members of staff.

"Thomas threw a snowball in the playground, and hit a girl with it" (Isn't that the idea?!?) Still, at least they were allowed out into the playground - usually they aren't when it snows.

Thomas should be encouraged to develop his action and before long he'll be bowling for the England one-day side !

Yes, political correctness HAS gone mad and schools are a good example, but it hasnt reached this level of farce yet surely?

When convicted criminals are being given the right to vote, and can be awarded compensation from the Government (defaulted to you & me the taxpayers) if they are denied it, and Brussels backs them up...

matey; ANYTHING can happen in this crazy Country.... :blink: :angry: :rolleyes: <_<

Good luck with your career Simon.

Thank you Peter.

During the course, we are told about the inequalities with working practices between male and female teachers. I have to be so careful, and make sure any actions I take cannot be misinterpreted. It does make things very difficult at times.

... except, of course, that we hadn't a clue what a Litre was back then... :)

... and probably still haven't... :(

IIRC it rose to about 55p a Gallon by 1975? So very nearly doubled in price in a few years..? OPEC and all that.... <_< :angry:

Yes, the price of crude oil was $3 per barrel in early 1973. It trebled between October and December 1973.

1971: Oi, Paddy! Yer f****ing terrorist b*****d! Why don'cha f*** off back to Ireland!

2011: Oi, Packy! Yer f****ing terrorist b*****d! Why don'cha f*** off back to Iran!

We've come such a long way, haven't we?

Disclaimer: the above is presented with appropriate soul crushing despair. And with spelling modified so my point remains intact.

Archived