The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

School - 1971 vs 2011

• RMweb Premium

Scenario - Johnny and Mark get into a fight after school

1971 Crowd gathers, Johnny wins. Johnny and Mark shake hands and end up lifelong friends.

2011 Police called - Johnny and Mark arrested and charged with assault. Both expelled from school, even though Mark started this off. Johnny and Mark put on anger management programmes. School board meets to implement anti-bullying programme.

Scenario - Billy takes apart leftover bangers from Guy Fawkes and puts them in an Airfix paint bottle, blows up an ant's nest.

1971 Ants get killed

2011 Police, Armed Forces, Bomb Disposal and Anti Terrorist Squad called. Billy charged with domestic terrorism. MI5 investigate family and children removed from home. Computers confiscated. Billy's dad added to terrorist watch list and never able to fly again.

Scenario - Robbie falls while running in the playground, scrapes his knee, and found sobbing by Mary, his teacher, who hugs him to comfort him.

1971 Robbie soon feels better and goes on playing.

2011 Mary is accused of sexual abuse, loses her job, and faces three years in prison. Robbie undergoes five years of therapy.

2011: Duuuhhh, wot's a Model Railway, then, innit ??!!

its a xbox game innit like wot my m8s got

Returning to both semi-seriousness and punctuation, while I am reluctant to tar all youth with the same brush, this is rather too close for comfort!

On further reflection, there's no Model Railway Club in 2011 because there are no Male Teachers (since everyone is now suspicious of any man who expresses a desire to work with children), no CRB-checked Parents who are interested in trains, no children interested in trains (as they've never even been on a real one), and models these days are too expensive and too detailed fragile to be trusted to kids anyway... <_<

These aren't real scenarios surely? Whilst I see the point you are making, the 2011 examples are extreme exaggerations! Even if they have happen they must be relatively isolated cases?

Yes, political correctness HAS gone mad and schools are a good example, but it hasnt reached this level of farce yet surely? I left school 2 years ago and this kind of thing wasn't going on then! Maybe in 10 or so years time things will be that rediculous, but for now I feel that this post is just needlessly negative and incorrect! I apologise in advance if I am missing something...

Scenario :- Adult sees little Johnny riding his bike on the pavement.

1971 Adult shouts 'get off that bike' and is supported by all other parents around.

2011 Adult shouts 'get off that bike' , and three Police cars full of cops descend on the adult. investigating assault, threatening behaviour , pedophillia with a minor, gets arrested , investigated , put on the sex offenders register , loses job because of 'suspicions', fails to find work for the next ten years or more because of his now 'suspicions on the CRB' check which now makes him or her unemployable.

As was posted in a 'legal' group yesterday "My missus is a registered child minder so I need a CRB check just to be in my own house" ( not by me I should add.)

Guest stuartp

These aren't real scenarios surely?

Only if you write for the Daily ________ (insert chosen peddler of Chicken Licken-esque doom, despondency and hell-bound handcarts here).

Scenario :- Adult sees little Johnny riding his bike on the pavement.

1971 Adult shouts 'get off that bike' and is supported by all other parents around.

2011 Adult shouts 'get off that bike' , and three Police cars full of cops descend on the adult. investigating assault, threatening behaviour , pedophillia with a minor, gets arrested , investigated , put on the sex offenders register , loses job because of 'suspicions', fails to find work for the next ten years or more because of his now 'suspicions on the CRB' check which now makes him or her unemployable.

This is what I'm talking about! This has never actually happened!

S

Scenario - Robbie falls while running in the playground, scrapes his knee, and found sobbing by Mary, his teacher, who hugs him to comfort him.

1971 Robbie soon feels better and goes on playing.

2011 Mary is accused of sexual abuse, loses her job, and faces three years in prison. Robbie undergoes five years of therapy.

You missed the bit in 2011 where Robbie successfully sues the school for several hundred thousand pounds for 'distress'

We had a Railway Club at my school in the late 70s with regular meetings and film shows and went on several trips by train to various places.

Wonder if this would happen nowadays?

When I arrived at my secondary school in 1990, the model railway club had been disbanded the year before. In my first term there they auctioned off all the stuff one lunchtime, and I got a Hornby Dublo 8F, two pullmans and an assortment of D1 switches for the princely sum of £30.

Guest Max Stafford

OK, the scenarios are somewhat embellished but disproportionate reaction to most things in Nu Britain has actually become the norm - especially in relation to playground dust-ups.

There are even cops based in schools these days. I know from my own observations these days that lads are being unnecessarily criminalised for things that would have been dealt with by stern words or a kick up the @rse not so long ago.

But there again, it's almost become a crime to be male here now... :rolleyes:

Dave.

Whilst the scenarios might be an embellishment, it is certainly the case some schools now insist that no adult can be alone with a child, this is to protect the adult from being accused of anything that in a 1-2-1 situation could not be disproved.

It is also the case that unruly pupils cannot be expelled without another school to go to and who is going to accept an unruly pupil.

What about the teacher sacked for letting a couple of pupils use a sled he had brought into school as part of a design class, because he hadn't asked the head teacher's permission, written a risk assessment, put headgear, knee and arm protectors on them or sought parent's permission.

Who'd want to work in education?

• RMweb Gold

OK, the scenarios are somewhat embellished but disproportionate reaction to most things in Nu Britain has actually become the norm

Or even, ironically, in the press about relatively small matters that are blown up out of all proportion....

There are even cops based in schools these days. I know from my own observations these days that lads are being unnecessarily criminalised for things that would have been dealt with by stern words or a kick up the @rse not so long ago.

Dave, I don't know where you live, but in *some* (a few) schools in London having a copper on duty is pretty essential.

On the general point about CRB/ISA etc - perhaps the rules are crude, unrefined and need improving (though in many cases it is probably common sense implementation that is more important), but better that than not having the systems in place to prevent a certain section of the population being allowed to work with vulnerable individuals (kids or adults).

Cheers, Mike

Regretably, Mike - the entire problem exists because jobsworths don't have common sense and our legislators have nothing better to do on the days when they actually bother to attend the HofC. I suspect the Big Society is really a collection of small-minded individuals

• RMweb Gold

As was posted in a 'legal' group yesterday "My missus is a registered child minder so I need a CRB check just to be in my own house" ( not by me I should add.)

I'm not sure it counts as a 'legal group' but I posted that in W&S

I would be allowed in without a CRB check, but not while children are there whose parents are paying.

If the children are there for free I suppose any axe-murderers or whatever would be free to enter.

I really don't want to think about the assortment of pointy-hurty-poisonous things associated with railway modelling that are in the house. I expect I will be sent to the garage...

1971: The School has a thriving Model Railway Club.

:angry: :rolleyes: :blink: :( :( :(

Strangely enough, whilst looking round local schools for our son to go to one school DID have a model railway club. It wasn't much of a layout, the sort you set up on a table at lunch break, but none the less...The school that our son does attend has a Model Railway Exhibition every July. This is run by the chap who organises the swapmeets there. His child used to go to the school some years back, and profits from the Exhib go to school funds. So I suppose not all is lost..

1971 Petrol cost circa 35p - A GALLON :blink: or circa 13p a litre.

... except, of course, that we hadn't a clue what a Litre was back then... :)

... and probably still haven't... :(

IIRC it rose to about 55p a Gallon by 1975? So very nearly doubled in price in a few years..? OPEC and all that.... <_< :angry:

I'm a male primary school teacher. In fact, there are 5 males out of 13 teachers at my school. I also have to say that none of the scenarios in the OP ring true to me. Yes they make great sensational headlines and yes some aspects of teaching are very frustrating due to the certain unhelpful regulations and some unhelpful behaviour from some people, but real life is a lot different!

Archived