The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

School - 1971 vs 2011

I have recently had the pleasure of working in several schools in northern England (as a contractor) and I have not only survived the experience but been very impressed by the teaching and ancillary staff in all the schools. Additionally, the children were generally of exemplary politeness. I even working in the "support unit" which is where unruly individuals are placed to ponder their crimes and truthfully even these little treasures were little worse than awkward. Some would simply have benefited from feeling valued. Bear in mind that two of these schools were in pretty run down areas. So when I read people sneering at teachers I take their Daily Mail/Telegraph induced rants with a pinch of salt.

The human race remains much as it ever was. Oh and please spare from email circulars like the "Death of Common Sense" gumph. Garbage.

but been very impressed by the teaching and ancillary staff in all the schools.

Although there are some idiots in education (as I found :lol:) but there are also some amazing and truly inspirational staff in our schools too!

This is what I'm talking about! This has never actually happened!

You're missing the point. Whether it happened or not is immaterial. Topics like this exist so that middle-aged white men (and I'm white, male and - sob - 47, so I know whereof I speak) can grumble about how the country's gone to hell in a handbasket and everything was so much better back in their (our, I suppose) day. The formula is:

Start with [it's]

Select one from [political correctness, health and safety]

Add [gone mad]

Optionally, add something about being a man being a crime.

I assume that you're between 18 and 21 (I left school at 19, so I always make that allowance). Thirty years from now, it'll be you. It's the law. In the meantime, try not to let the whingeing get you down ;) .

Jim

Guest Max Stafford

...and respect the right to whinge of grumpy, forty-something blokes who've spent most of their adult lives dealing with f***wits...! ;) :)

Dave.

• RMweb Gold

Totallitarian springs to mind, but there's no point getting upset about it. We've all just sat back and let our so called elected representitives create all these draconian statutes and regulations, many of which are verging on tyranny.

Don't forget that there is a reason for the changes in the laws. Pity about the way they are sometimes administered.

Scenario. Sadistic teacher goes over the top and gives Johnny a real good thrashing for a minor offence.

1971 Johnny dare not tell his parents because he may get another thrashing. Teacher is free to do this again.

2011 Teacher gets his just deserts and is removed from children to leave the vast majority of good teachers to get on with the job.

Scenario. Pervert teacher sexually abuses Johnny and Mary.

1971 Johnny and Mary think it is all their fault and are afraid to tell anyone. Teacher is free to do this again.

2011 Teacher gets his just deserts and is removed from children to leave the vast majority of good teachers to get on with the job.

I think this may be appropriate for this thread -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eBT6OSr1TI&

As Colin says there have been many changes for very good reasons - only problem is that many people over react without fully understanding the reasoning behind them. (This isn't aimed at people on this thread, but more a general statement aboiut society as a whole.)

Feeling waves of despair after reading this thread, I now intend to sue the whole steaming lot of you for injuring my personal equilibrium and self-esteem! Prepare to pay my mortgage!!

Mwa - ha - ha - ha - haaaa!

Best you give that bloke Bill Murray a call then and ask him about Injury Lawyers 4u.;)

I was 19 when I wrote that! Since had a birthday. Sorry I missed the point ;)

Congrats! No longer a teenager... I recall playing bar football in Liverpool Uni student union when that particular thought struck me on my 20th. The sudden existential crisis caused me to lose concentration and concede a crucial goal in a tournament with large quantities of beer at stake for the winner (and the purchase of same at stake for the loser)

Jim

Would that Murray be the chap formally known as DS Don 'Sonova' Beech?

Is he a lawyer as well as an out-of work (sorry, desparate, sorry, sorry, I really meant resting) actor? That's what he states quite explicitly by use of we rather than they - I'm going to sue him as well.

I'd be a tad careful if I were you Shamouti.... Mr Murray was, ahem, 'well connected' in his younger days, if you get my drift.... it's quite ironic that he ended up playing a copper!

(you ain't seen me, right? ;) )

I'd be a tad careful if I were you Shamouti.... Mr Murray was, ahem, 'well connected' in his younger days, if you get my drift.... it's quite ironic that he ended up playing a copper!

(you ain't seen me, right? ;) )

Indeed! I believe Ron and Reg paid £400 for young Billy to attend East 15 Acting School because they 'liked his attitude'.

I only heard it mind...... i..iiiii..it wasn't me guv' honest.. straight up guv it was some geezer called Yafo.....;)

Indeed! I believe Ron and Reg paid £400 for young Billy to attend East 15 Acting School because they 'liked his attitude'.

I only heard it mind...... i..iiiii..it wasn't me guv' honest.. straight up guv it was some geezer called Yafo.....;)

A lot of money back then too! Billy was a mucker of John Bindon and Johnny Shannon who were both in 'Performance' with Mick Jagger and James Fox, they helped get him the part. He and Bindon were tasked with helping James Fox 'research' his part as gangster Chaz by getting up to no good before filming started.

Apologies for dragging things a little further OT!

Getting back on the path, a it were, I couldn't decide which thread to put this in - here or Morrison's. It was at school, so...

A fifth former was once questioned by our head (won an OBE for 'Services to Education') after he spotted him drinking a can of Barr's Shandy. That is, the stuff from the soft drinks shelf - the one made by waving a bottle of denatured beeroid substance at a vat of lemonade. He had to supply time, date, shop, name of assistant if known... This was around 1978-80. Signs of the rot setting in?

Archived