Evening - a quick report on progress tonight.

I had hoped to met up with some of the other local RMWebbers but I was in charge of the mini-beresford junctions tonight, so once they were off in the land of nod, I crept down to the dungeon.

Now it wan't a comfortable eveing - guess where I was when I took this photo....

post-10336-0-85158000-1384730604_thumb.jpg

and there are still a couple of adjustments to make, but now I've got the final return to the top level in place ( to the right of the photo):

post-10336-0-62141900-1384730631_thumb.jpg

not sure, but I think I might need to add some bracing to it?

I've decided not to go to Warley next weekend, so I might get the final circuit going - you'll all be the first to know.

Phil

Edited by Beresford Junction
  • Like 6

the first to do the loop at Beresford Junction in what must be a couple of years.

So there was light at the end of the tunnel after all. Well done

I do like a helix in principal, but we added one when we first built a layout then found a loco could go up and down but a full train invariably caved in on itself. Kal eventually ripped it out  The centrifugal force was not with us. Hope you have better luck.

Would the problem with centrifugal force be determined by incline and radius?

Just thinking, if the incline is easy and the radius is large, the whole thing must work - plenty of layouts have them. Post 1427 shows a train going up the incline so I am assuming there are no problems with derailments then?

• RMweb Premium

I do like a helix in principal, but we added one when we first built a layout then found a loco could go up and down but a full train invariably caved in on itself. Kal eventually ripped it out  The centrifugal force was not with us. Hope you have better luck.

Would canting the rail deal with the problem? I'm no mathematician but canting the rail would also effectively increase the radius if it is a 'reverse cant' (canted to the outside of the curve with the 'inner' rail raised).