Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Right - a few thoughts while on my sick bed.

I think I've worked out how I'm going to construct the buildings that will be located on/next to the RES platform, although obviously in other eras they'll have to morph into something else.

And this is the current thinking on the 'station', i.e. to add a slight kink in it and go down to one line.

post-10336-0-67815100-1394631055_thumb.png

Oh and Ian, before you ask, yes I am.

Phil

• Like 4

The electronics for that is easier than some of the other designs! Good luck with the man-flu.

Thanks - I'm trying to repeat to myself 'less is more'.

I'm also going to add the Blue/grey / Yellow NR theme to my list of eras - one might think I'm schizophrenic.

Phil

• Like 2

mine looked like those originally. now they look like this

Wow - they look really great, and very realistic - must have taken a time.

I've finally had time to play with the MRA set and very impressed, they are super detail.

One slight thing, one of the five wagons (pictured below) seemed to have one of the bogies the wrong way round. As you can see it had none of the white brake(?) wheels on one side, they were both on the other side.

post-10336-0-07094400-1395506759_thumb.jpg

The rest were all like this:

post-10336-0-21057800-1395506884_thumb.jpg

It was a quick job to unscrew the bogie and turn round, but I thought I better check I haven't made an embarrasing mistake - please let me know if I have! :O

Here it is with the 'corrected' bogies:

post-10336-0-34299000-1395506902_thumb.jpg

And now they have been connected up into a fixed set with the little connector bars provided - not sure how robust they will be though.

post-10336-0-56828500-1395506780_thumb.jpg

Amd it's that bloke with his hands in his pockets again.

Phil

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

its been a bit quiet at the junction recently Phil, all ok?

Guess what - I've been making changes......

I was planning on actually getting some of the changes done before posting more random photos/plans.

The loopback where the helix was has now gone, with the fiddle yard tracks coming together to allow the loco to run around then go back up. This has the advantage of meaning I don't need any funky electrics/switches, but has meant I've had to reverse all the wiring changes I's made.

I'm a lot happier with it now.

I'll post some photos when there is some noticable progress.

Phil

• Like 2

Hi Phil,

Just thought I would post to say what a cracking layout you have and Very Inspiring for a newbie diesel modeller myself :good: 

I look forward to you next posts

Best Wishes

Dan

Thanks Dan

Here is a quick shot of the new under board addition which will allow the train that has come down to run along into then un-couple, run around and then get ready to go back up.

post-10336-0-00486100-1397734318_thumb.jpg

And here is a plan of the revised fiddle yard.

Trains will come down the helix and into the green sidings, then on to the orange ones where the loco can run around then back up via the blue ones.

post-10336-0-26038400-1397734338_thumb.png

And sort of back to the original up-top, apart from the addition of an extra head-shunt siding (in green) to allow wagons to be shunted between the two areas of the yard. Not sure if I'll have a station there or not - I'm going to leave that area for now.

post-10336-0-69654200-1397734339_thumb.png

Oh and watch out for some Tees Yard pics coming along, assuming I get bored....

Phil

• Like 7

Hi Phil

Wow that certainly is a Very interesting track plan you got going on there and I bet it's great fun in operation?. Must say some great craftsmanship in the baseboards :good: 

you said about the helix .. is that a white rose kit or did you brave making your own?.

Many Thanks

Dan

Hi Phil

Wow that certainly is a Very interesting track plan you got going on there and I bet it's great fun in operation?. Must say some great craftsmanship in the baseboards :good: 

you said about the helix .. is that a white rose kit or did you brave making your own?.

Many Thanks

Dan

Thanks Dan

To save you having to trawl through all the pages and what has become 1645 posts, if you take a look at page 37, you'll see the start of the helix project. I temporarily had a second helix then a return loop, and have finally settled (for now at least) for the current setup.

I'm looking forward to 'finishing' the fiddle yard and wiring (and yes I'm going to tidy up that tangle of wires you can see in the photo, which is actually disconnected from the power at the moment, yet the trainst still run - all very strange)

And for all of you who like a bit of EWS rust...

post-10336-0-20351500-1397993004_thumb.jpg

post-10336-0-49552800-1397993379_thumb.jpg

and for once a bit of blue skies and sun in the North East!

Phil

• Like 7

Hi Phil

Just want to start by saying that your homemade helix is very impressive .. was it tricky to do ?. 

Great pictures of Tees yard and always greatful of pic's Ews rolling stock or similar. Even got a 66 for good measure.. Nicely done :thankyou:  

Did you have a good day?.

Best Wishes

Dan :good: 

You know - in about 100 years from now, someone will stumble on those two photos held in a disused data bank somewhere and will agonise for hours and hours about what was the correct colour for EWS rolling stock!!!!!! Amazing what a slightly different viewpoint does to the colour saturation of the same object. Makes me realise that trying to get something right from B+W photos and really old crappy Orwochrome images makes life harder than it needs to be!!!

For those that don't know - Orwo was the East European version of Kodachrome but failed miserably when stored in conditions anything remotely damp (all the colour fell off!!!).

You know - in about 100 years from now, someone will stumble on those two photos held in a disused data bank somewhere and will agonise for hours and hours about what was the correct colour for EWS rolling stock!!!!!! Amazing what a slightly different viewpoint does to the colour saturation of the same object. Makes me realise that trying to get something right from B+W photos and really old crappy Orwochrome images makes life harder than it needs to be!!!

For those that don't know - Orwo was the East European version of Kodachrome but failed miserably when stored in conditions anything remotely damp (all the colour fell off!!!).

Thanks Ian

I suspect it was my phone (on which I took the photos) freaking out due to the unexpected North East sun.

For anyone wanting to check out the full range of available colours, I've uploaded the full set to Flickr at https://www.flickr.com/photos/23057348@N07/sets/72157644153143442/

Phil