Fotopic

BigAndy

You can get a lot more on a 1TB drive ;)

Backup, backup, backup thats the important point, I am also dismayed by people using fotopic as their only copy :rolleyes: - if anyone is doing this with flickr or zenfolio or ... then get a backup done now.

The problem is that there is a lot more to a photo site than the photos. The effort goes into organising it, adding suitable introduction to the collections, giving information on the photographs etc. I was lucky in knowing how to download the collections on fotopic which included a file of the commentary, and also putting info into the pictures instead of having this separate (and putting up with the comments that this was ugly). But this still did not save other peoples comments, my own comment additions etc.

I don't know if it is possible to do the same with Zenfolio - something to enquire about?

Regards

Paul

The problem is that there is a lot more to a photo site than the photos. The effort goes into organising it, adding suitable introduction to the collections, giving information on the photographs etc. I was lucky in knowing how to download the collections on fotopic which included a file of the commentary, and also putting info into the pictures instead of having this separate (and putting up with the comments that this was ugly). But this still did not save other peoples comments, my own comment additions etc.

I don't know if it is possible to do the same with Zenfolio - something to enquire about?

Regards

Paul

Paul. I'm so pleased you have taken the care to preserve all your hard work with your collections.

When fotopic went t+ts up, your's was one of my first thoughts.

I still have all my piccies on hard drives but obviously all my captioning and organisation is gone. Just glad people had the pleasure of them for a while !!

;M M SO

Hi Paul, this program came up in discussion in another place, i've not tried it yet but it - sounds like it's capable of working with Zenfolio, Smugmug and several other ones: http://www.callingshotgun.net/about/migratr/

If it will handle downloading/uploading between all the current major image sites then it might be worth having on hand - or using as a way of "mirroring" a site onto another service?

Don't know whether it will also let you "save" a version for backup in the interim but if it did then it would let you have an "offline" version ready-to-go on a different service after any failure?

Hi Paul, this program came up in discussion in another place, i've not tried it yet but it - sounds like it's capable of working with Zenfolio, Smugmug and several other ones: http://www.callingshotgun.net/about/migratr/

If it will handle downloading/uploading between all the current major image sites then it might be worth having on hand - or using as a way of "mirroring" a site onto another service?

Don't know whether it will also let you "save" a version for backup in the interim but if it did then it would let you have an "offline" version ready-to-go on a different service after any failure?

Excellent, thanks very much, that looks very handy. I will give it a trial when I have done some more on Zenfolio.

Paul Bartlett

The latest news, by the way, is that a potential buyer for Fotopic has been found. It's not settled yet, but according to Joel the deal is all but done. No information yet as to who it might be, but we should find out in a few days.

• RMweb Gold

link not working (for me anyway)

Fotopic Update

Dear Fotopic Users

Fotopic and its parent company Snappy Designs Ltd are no longer trading.

Discussions are in progress with a new team to rescue part of its service and the images.

The important points to note:

1. The images that have been uploaded to the Fotopic servers are safe.
    Our aim is to find a migration path to a new service with similar or better functionality
    than Fotopic and a method for users to export their existing images.
  2. We cannot give you a date for this just yet – please subscribe to our newsletter to be updated.
  3. Please understand that we cannot answer specific queries at this time, but will be able to
    give more information once we are live with a new service.

Thank you for your understanding.

Andi

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

It was some kind of blog page that presumably had the fotopic URL directed to it, wait and see... presumably something will come up in due course. Did anyone subscribe to updates on it?

Andi

The message has altered back to explaining how to sign up to their Newsletter http://www.fotopic.net/

The first page reads as below

Paul Bartlett

Fotopic Update

Dear Fotopic Users

Fotopic and its parent company Snappy Designs Ltd are no longer trading.

Discussions are in progress with a new team to rescue part of its service and the images.

The important points to note:

1.The images that have been uploaded to the Fotopic servers are safe.

Our aim is to find a migration path to a new service with similar or better functionality

than Fotopic and a method for users to export their existing images.

2.We cannot give you a date for this just yet – please subscribe to our newsletter to be updated.

3.Please understand that we cannot answer specific queries at this time, but will be able to

give more information once we are live with a new service.

Thank you for your understanding.

Well that is a relief considering the fact that I had signed up the newsletter since they posted the detail/s. Lets hope something can be done soon to bring it back online.

• RMweb Premium

Well that is a relief considering the fact that I had signed up the newsletter since they posted the detail/s. Lets hope something can be done soon to bring it back online.

Well hopefully, but it's easy to publish a few words on a web site, a bit trickier recovering millions of photos, we shall see what happens no doubt.

Guest baldrick25

Quote from http://fotopic.net :-

rescue part of its service

Only 'part' of the service will be rescued , if any at all, so I wouldn't get your hopes up too high , then 'any part' will be a bonus.

• RMweb Gold
Only 'part' of the service will be rescued , if any at all, so I wouldn't get your hopes up too high , then 'any part' will be a bonus

They went bust so lack of income was a contributing factor to the outage problem. Assuming any software issues have been fixed simple logic suggests that whatever bits of the service will resume will be the if you pay parts.

If the fees aren't too high and the new screen layouts don't carry adverts and logos I will probably take a gamble and sign up again (formerly a free user) as I liked the end results on screen but as there are no-cost alternatives for me using my own webspace it is a fine balance between cost and ease of use.

Hi RMweb forum members,

One obvious way to safeguard your online pics is to host them yourself. [...] There are lots of free Gallery scripts available [...] Such as [...] Piwigo [...]

Thank you Martin for quoting Piwigo. I'm Piwigo founder and I've been contacted by several Fotopic.net customers searching for a replacement, see my blog post Fotopic.net has closed down.

There is also a "ready to use" package with Piwigo, including hosting, email support and unlimited photos, see Piwigo.com for details. Here follow 2 examples of Piwigo.com galleries focused on Railways (not modelling as far I see it)

* http://bg1000.piwigo.com (Belgium)

* http://mortenschmidt.piwigo.com (Denmark)

Important note : having Piwigo hosted on Piwigo.com doesn't mean you're "locked-in", at any time you can get your photos back (and user comments, visit history...) and move to any other host.

Although the above may be deemed a commercial posting in contravention of forum rules we are permitting the above information post without endorsement and advising that there is an annual charge.

Although the above may be deemed a commercial posting in contravention of forum rules we are permitting the above information post without endorsement and advising that there is an annual charge.

Thank you Andy for not destroying my post :-) Actually there is a charge (€39/year) only if you take the Piwigo.com "all included" package. Piwigo itself is free (free/opensource software) and can be installed on any host (many web hosting providers propose it with a 1-click install system). Considering we received some questions from Fotopic.net customers, I think a few details about Piwigo may interest some other Fotopic.net customers as well.

The important thing now is to avoid repeating the situation that customers are currently experiencing with Fotopic.net. Whatever the way you publish your photos on the web, you should limitate the dependency to one given company (that may close at any time). This is where I think Piwigo + Piwigo.com offers a better way to do it. Doc Searls published a popular post on his blog recently: What if Flickr fails? (it works for any other web service company, Flickr is just the "big one")

Archived