Fotopic

BigAndy

Search seems to be on the blink quite frequently these days. :angry:

You can try searching via google - put in your search term and then site:fotopic.net

The collection search has been very poor - unobtainable for days. The photo search is working better than usual when it works - which it is not at the moment!

But the advice on using Google in the way suggested doesn't work very well for large sites like mine - I used it. It found my site easily enough but only the front page - so no further forward than going direct to my site and then finding search doesn't work!

Paul Bartlettt

Working for me as I've just posted these

I was lucky enough to be alongside the WCML near Stafford for the a bit of photography.

47727 and 86218

http://staffs-oatcake.fotopic.net/p69099935.html

http://staffs-oatcake.fotopic.net/p69099934.html

and then there was a few Bettys loose. 70001 on the 0Z70, 70002 on the 6U77 and 70009 on the 4M45/4L92

http://staffs-oatcake.fotopic.net/p69099791.html

http://staffs-oatcake.fotopic.net/p69099789.html

http://staffs-oatcake.fotopic.net/p69099793.html

and a few class 86's

http://staffs-oatcake.fotopic.net/p69099794.html

http://staffs-oatcake.fotopic.net/p69099792.html

• 3 weeks later...

The site seems to have disappeared today - can't get any response from fotopic.net addresses, coming back with "can’t find the server" messages.

Including those linked by staffsoatcake further up this thread.

I've had intermittent success/failures trying to find resources since I posted my last message. I sent a message to fotopic but this has gone unanswered.

So I started trawling Flickr instead.

There was a BIG question over fotopic back in 2009/2010 but the rumours at the time were just that. Hopefully all is well and everyone can get access to their images

Rgds

Mark

P.S. I do hope Paul Bartlett has a back up otherwise as far as wagon building goes were all screwed.

• RMweb Gold

Almost a year ago I ordered 3 prints from IrishSwissErnie's fotopic collection. They arrived quickly and I was delighted with the quality. But when an identical second set arrived, I did wonder whether this was a business that knew exactly what it was doing?

Almost a year ago I ordered 3 prints from IrishSwissErnie's fotopic collection. They arrived quickly and I was delighted with the quality. But when an identical second set arrived, I did wonder whether this was a business that knew exactly what it was doing?

You were one of the lucky ones in that you actually got some! I took off the Buy Print facility around about last October when I started receiving e-mails from purchasers who hadn't received anything and also because I couldn't get my commission paid.

Since then after several reminders I was suddenly paid but the Purchase Print facility has been frozen on everyones Gallerys.

Luckily I have everything backed up (There are nearly 12,000 images on)but I and several others keep pondering on what alternative we could use economically.

IrishSwissErnie

Fotopic has certainly gone belly-up - again - today.

It was alright last night but today I just get a message to say that Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage.

Hopefully it is only a temporary blip as happened in 2009; it was off air for about three days then, so I hope it won't be so long this time.

I really couldn't face starting again somewhere else although I understand that a new photo hosting site is being tested for a launch later this year to which Fotopic pix can be transferred.

All we can do for the moment is wait and see what happens.

• RMweb Gold

I have just tried to access Paul Bartletts site but the message says it cant find the site / my browser is not compatible.

I am using Google.

Gordon A

Bristol

Gordon,

see post #9 in this thread.

You were one of the lucky ones in that you actually got some! I took off the Buy Print facility around about last October when I started receiving e-mails from purchasers who hadn't received anything.

Luckily I have everything backed up (There are nearly 12,000 images on)but I and several others keep pondering on what alternative we could use economically.

IrishSwissErnie

I, too, was threatened with solicitors' letters and legal proceedings if I didn't provide the pictures that someone had ordered! I had no idea that people were actually buying pictures - or at least, trying to. So I, too, took the 'buy prints' option off as did other people that I know.

In any case, I resize my pictures before I send them to Fotopic so they are really only suitable for screen viewing, not printing.

There are plenty of other image hosting sites, but, for ease of use, both by me and the viewers, I still prefer Fotopic so I hope that this is only a temporary blip.

• RMweb Gold

You were one of the lucky ones in that you actually got some! I took off the Buy Print facility around about last October when I started receiving e-mails from purchasers who hadn't received anything and also because I couldn't get my commission paid.

Since then after several reminders I was suddenly paid but the Purchase Print facility has been frozen on everyones Gallerys.

IrishSwissErnie

I removed the buy print facility for the same reason.

I do hope the present outage is only temporary, though I do have back ups of all my images and captions just in case - only around 4,500 so far in my case.

David

It was easy to determine in 2009 via companies house the status of Fotopic.

Now I don't have a clue who owns them so cant do any digging, although it can take a while for notifications to appear on companies house.

Rgds

Mark

But I wouldn't start worrying before a week has past

Personally i'm not worried, just annoyed. dry.gif

• As far as I can tell there has been no site development for several years.
  • We've had them fail to provide a decent print service causing aggro for several users - minimal feedback.
  • We've then had that major (and advertised as a reason to upgrade!) feature removed entirely with no warning and no explanation - some are even owed money from this process.
  • Major site features (like Search) feature reliability that seems flaky at best - is it a deliberate move to cut down their server workload or does the program just not work?
  • If you contact their help desk it's 50/50 whether you'll get an answer. If it's asking for a feature that isn't already there that answer will be no anyhow.
  • When the site goes down like it is now (which yes, is probably just yet another technical fault!) there is absolutely no way to tell whether it has broken, gone bust, been beamed to mars by avenging aliens, or whatever. Keeping customers informed and on side seems to be the alien concept. Seriously, a site like this one run entirely on donations and by volunteers manages to organise itself a twitter feed to keep folk updated if there is downtime. Contrast with Fotopic which is a service i'm paying a regular subscription for and they manage to give the impression that they really can't be bothered. There are folk out there relying on Fotopic for their business though, so keeping the site up is pretty important for them. In my eyes they are rapidly heading for British Gas levels of customer service, which is saying something!

If there was an easy way to relocate my sites i'd be doing it. Yes I have the originals for the vast majority of shots uploaded but the sheer amount of effort/time involved uploading is not an attractive prospect.

What I really want is for Fotopic to buck themselves up and start looking like they are interested in doing something beyond taking our money.

Yours - grumpy of Exeter. ;)

• RMweb Gold

www.fotopic.net is no longer resolvable, that's either a major DNS issue or the plug pulled, I traced it yesterday and the route to the server was open, although the end server wasn't what I expected. It could be a technical issue so let's wait and see.

It also has some more technical details, including email addresses and phone+fax numbers, but to prevent them being inundated by concerned RMweb users (and any rude and abusive idiots reading along) I won't post those here.

DM did provide me with the 0870 number given; it was unobtainable. I did some other searching and those numbers too are unobtainable. That doesn't look healthy or a positive approach to engaging with their customers.

Aside from the Buy and Print option which I can't assist with I am happy to host any members content through the Gallery which at least makes it available as reference material. I would not be adverse to anyone offering hi-res or printed copies at a charge to anyone interested via off-forum comms.

• RMweb Gold

Would have been helpful if a synopsis of the Google group discussion had been posted.

Also a fotopic user as the front end screens presented to the viewers look so much better than that of the alternatives like photobucket and flickr. All my fotopic stored images are copies, and I only take the free service so can't grumble over much if it goes, but it will be missed if it does.

One of the long term implications if the fotopic albums do disappear will be that the many fotopic photo's linked to in forums like this one will also go down.

Brief synopsis:

Lots of heat and little light. Lots of angry people. Talk of Joel's (fotopic's creator before the previous owners) new site Pikfu which is being tested...

The google group is not an official group, fotopic do not officially tell anyone anything via that method either...

• RMweb Gold

I've now traced the servers (I've found the IP addresses of the machines) which deliver the fotopic service, I get as far as the Kingston Communications gateway and then the route drops out, it could be a server issue, or it could be a routing/DNS issue or ... :(

Archived