Model Rail circulation increases

Andy Y

Congratulations to the Model Rail team for a strong performance in 2010.

The ABC circulations figures have been released which show a 5.2% increase in circulation during the year to an average monthly figure of 29,817. This was the highest growth percentage in the Bauer media group in a tough economic year with strong competition.

Well done to Ben, Chris, Richard, George and the rest of the team.

ABC Cert 2011.pdf

Let's hope they all received a JP Morgan style bonus!!! Hooray!

Seriously I buy it in the 'States 'cos it's one of the few available from Barnes and Noble off the shelf. However it also feeds my "homesickness" because of the prototype photos and writing alongside the models, It's a good mix. Keep it up.

Best, Pete.

That's quite an achievement, actually, given that of the major mags, MR is least likely in my experience to appear in non-modelling outlets. My local Tesco stocks both RM and BRM, while my newsagent has Hornby Mag, but apart from Smiths (which stocks all of them) I've never seen MR in a non-modelling outlet at all.

The Model Rail team are highly approachable, friendly and deserve their success.

All the magazine needs now is to be printed on decent art paper like its main competitors.

I agree. The team is a very strong one. From my contact through doing the occasional article, I know they try really hard to get things right and to do a top quality job. I wish I could make a living out of my hobby.

The circulation was I think a bit higher before Hornby Magazine appeared so Model Rail has done well to hold onto most of its circulation and even show an increase in 2010 in a tough market.

I think if they went to thicker paper, they would need perfect binding, which might have other implications. 164 pages is possibly at or close to the limit for saddle-stitch. My impression has long been that Model Rail packs in more content than most of its competitors. The others may look superficially better but there seems to be less in some of them as the words are more spread out or there are fewer pages.

I don't think Warners (BRM) or Ian Allan (Hornby Magazine) have published ABC figures so it's difficult to compare with them. By contrast, Model Rail has had ABC figures going back to EMAP days.

Great news - my subscription is safe then :D

Have to be honest and say that I have every issue from number 1 plus a whole host of the Model Rail supplements too and it really has gone from strength to strength over the years.

May the success continue.

good news model rail do a great mag but here comes the bad news my local newagent is shutting down and is stop selling mags and news papers as he cant compete with the supermarkets!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (tesco/asda etc)so i normaly have MR/MRJ/RM & some issues of steam days and had rail express everymonth with other stuff as well as my dad having garden rail mags from him as well!

so thats another shot from the suppermarkets kicking the highstreet yet again ive now go a 4 mile drive or 10 mile drive instead of a 5 min bus jurney or car trip! so thats going to help not!!!

looks like I will be more selective in future!

but model rail keep up the good work its always good to hear of some good news!

All the magazine needs now is to be printed on decent art paper like its main competitors.

:good_mini:

I know I have expressed the same sentiment to the production team, and they are sympathetic.

I guess it all comes down to $$$ and how big a hit those circulation figures would take if they raised the price. Because let's face it, I doubt there are many people who don't buy it just because of [lower] quality paper it is now printed on [when compared to the first decade].

• RMweb Gold

That's quite an achievement, actually, given that of the major mags, MR is least likely in my experience to appear in non-modelling outlets. My local Tesco stocks both RM and BRM, while my newsagent has Hornby Mag, but apart from Smiths (which stocks all of them) I've never seen MR in a non-modelling outlet at all.

Although I get mine by subscription it is available from our local newsagent. I got my Model Rail International there on the published day of issue.

I don't think Warners (BRM) or Ian Allan (Hornby Magazine) have published ABC figures so it's difficult to compare with them. By contrast, Model Rail has had ABC figures going back to EMAP days.

According to RM's ABC entry, Mr Pritchard signed up for ABC in 1961.... ;).

I didn't realise these ABC figures were public - the breakdowns are just as interesting as the headline figures...

According to RM's ABC entry, Mr Pritchard signed up for ABC in 1961.... ;).

I didn't realise these ABC figures were public - the breakdowns are just as interesting as the headline figures...

Yes, the ABC figures are very much public - they are there to be looked at by all but are particularly useful to potential advertisers. Once you have an ABC figure you are obliged to quote it and the relevant year. Magazines which are not ABC audited can (and do) make unsubstantiated claims about circulation. A favourite method is to quote the print run. Magazines generally SELL little more than half of their print run - the rest are recycled. The ABC figure is actual copies sold.

The breakdowns show such things as the number of subscription copies, overseas sales, and copies given away. The Railway Modeller has, indeed, been an ABC'd title for many years - but their figures are usually announced about 6 weeks later.

CHRIS LEIGH

Archived