Heljan Baby Deltic

Burkitt

Morning Steve,

They had a poster at the back of their stand announcing the disc headcode version as being released in the first quarter of next year ;)

Can't believe this, an original condition baby deltic and class 16 from Heljan along with Dapols 21 due for 2012 i'm going to be poor, best railway news I've heard for months, thank you Heljan.

• Like 1

Morning Steve,

They had a poster at the back of their stand announcing the disc headcode version as being released in the first quarter of next year ;)

The poster announcing new batches of BDs from Heljan actually promised further versions of those already released and sold out. That is to say small yellow panel, full yellow end variants and such. This information was at the foot of a poster that did indeed illustrate a plain green disc code prototype but it did not suggest that this was forthcoming in 1st quarter 2012. I confess that I didn't seek clarification from Heljan on this point.

RP

As built Baby Deltics are being done, trust me.

Thank you for the conformation Brian. I do welcome that news but didn't think they were to be expected quite as soon as 1st quarter 2012.

RP

The poster announcing new batches of BDs from Heljan actually promised further versions of those already released and sold out. That is to say small yellow panel, full yellow end variants and such. This information was at the foot of a poster that did indeed illustrate a plain green disc code prototype but it did not suggest that this was forthcoming in 1st quarter 2012. I confess that I didn't seek clarification from Heljan on this point.

RP

As Brian has already said there are plans to modify the tooling to backdate the Baby Deltic to original condition as built and as first withdrawn before refurbishment. The two versions will carry the same livery but one of these will carry frost grilles and blanking plates. Both of these will carry nose end doors, disc headcode and access ladder and will be finished in original BR green with off white shirt and red bufferbeams. This backdated version probably will not be available until late 2012 and have been allocated catalogue numbers 2320-2303.

There will be another batch on the high seas before too long consisting of 2304 D5901 GSYP RTC, 2305 D5902 GSYP gloss, 2306 D5904 GLYE and 2307 D5909 BLYE weathered. There is more than likely to be a further batch before the tooling is changed.

• RMweb Premium

Many thanks for the confirmations and good news, everyone - I may cancel my order for D5902 now, it's really just a tad TOO modern! :O , especially as I hadn't realised it was going to be gloss finish.

Even the driver's uniform is spot on, there's attention to detail :sungum:

Ah! Very Good!

I must admit to being tired and knackered after the weekend on the stand at Warley. I was also anxious to put things right about the previous posts before I went down the pub rather than after!!!!!!!!!!

As a matter of interest I was told last week by David Percical that the Hitchin crews loved their Baby Deltic's when they had them and kept the cabs immaculately clean, so maybe it should be white shirts! Seen too many 'skirts' this weekend!

• Like 1

As Brian has already said there are plans to modify the tooling to backdate the Baby Deltic to original condition as built and as first withdrawn before refurbishment. The two versions will carry the same livery but one of these will carry frost grilles and blanking plates. Both of these will carry nose end doors, disc headcode and access ladder and will be finished in original BR green with off white shirt and red bufferbeams. This backdated version probably will not be available until late 2012 and have been allocated catalogue numbers 2320-2303.

There will be another batch on the high seas before too long consisting of 2304 D5901 GSYP RTC, 2305 D5902 GSYP gloss, 2306 D5904 GLYE and 2307 D5909 BLYE weathered. There is more than likely to be a further batch before the tooling is changed.

If they are going to permenantly change the tooling, you'd have thought they would have doen the one with the limited lifespan and livery options first, or will it be modified to take interchangeable noses?

I believe the tooling will be changed permanently.

Don't worry there will be sufficient body's made from the existing tooling to cover all the livery variations. It just means that doing it this way the model can be backdated sooner to satisfy those earlier era modellers who wish to run the 'Baby Deltic' in the steam era. As only ten loco's were built it is inevitable that this change was going to have to happen sooner than later. All I can say that this has been well planned and there is still enough scope for further batches of the present refurbished variant to remain available for the forseeable future.

Don't worry there will be sufficient body's made from the existing tooling to cover all the livery variations. It just means that doing it this way the model can be backdated sooner to satisfy those earlier era modellers who wish to run the 'Baby Deltic' in the steam era. As only ten loco's were built it is inevitable that this change was going to have to happen sooner than later. All I can say that this has been well planned and there is still enough scope for further batches of the present refurbished variant to remain available for the forseeable future.

Here are the two images that I supplied to Heljan for their stand at Warley. Unfortunately they put them with the descriptions for the next batch of refurbished examples (which are now approved and in production), which seemed to confuse people.....including me! The images show the two variants of the early version which are to be produced, with and without frost grilles on the radiator panel. As you can see the bogies have sandboxes so hopefully we will see new bogies sideframes moulded which we may be able to use on another batch of refurbished examples as these carried them for a few months after refurbishment. Anyone know why they were removed?

post-4697-0-42293600-1322319190.jpg

post-4697-0-03531900-1322319230.jpg

• Like 4

Perhaps because they were useless BV, especially if the pipes clogged up or had condensation in them. It used to happen on lots of BR locos as I recall (25s in my day).

Love the second shot of D5904.... I.... must.... not.... be.... tempted.... by.... one.... of.... these..... beauties..... :unsure: !

• RMweb Gold

Perhaps because they were useless BV, especially if the pipes clogged up or had condensation in them. It used to happen on lots of BR locos as I recall (25s in my day).

I suspect you're right Nidge - especially as those sandbox lids are in an ideal place for water ingress if the lids aren't put on properly (as sometimes happened). In South Wales we used to be very protective of our EE Type3s (Class 37s) which had good sanders as without them some of the branches could be something of a death trap - in fact the most common reason we had for them being failed was 'blocked sands').

Speaking from experience with Class 25s (and to a certain extent 66s), the lids themselves would often get bashed about, with drivers, secondmen and fitters alike using spanners, bardic lamps etc to slam them shut. Sometimes you'd need a spanner or small crow bar to open them again, so often they would be left slightly ajar, letting the rain in which obvoiously caused the sand to conjeal in the pipes.

And I still can't stop looking at BV's lovely photos..... :sungum: ... I have no reason whatsoever to buy one of these, but having seen the one my mate bought at Warley last week I'm smitten!

Edited by Rugd1022

You could always get D5901 when it comes out and have it running in RTC guise, or D5908 which was temporarily stabled at Bescot en-route to Cashmore's at Great Bridge for scrapping.

Ah! now hear lies some new information. I have it on good authority from David Percival that D5908 was in fact scrapped at G.Cohen at Kettering. Apparently it was sent to Cashmores in error. I await to see pictures appearing of it at Kettering but at least there is photographic evidence of it stabled at Bescot!

Edited by BrushVeteran
  • Like 1

Am I right in saying that the entire class were withdrawn for refurbishment before any gained a small yellow pannel?

Jim

Yes.

They were all sent back to Vulcan's in original condition and all emerged with the TTG / SYP / 4 character headcode panel configuration.

• Like 1

Am I right in saying that the entire class were withdrawn for refurbishment before any gained a small yellow pannel?

Jim

Correct. The last one taken out of traffic in 1963 was D5905. It was towed to Doncaster by class 24 D5069 on 15th June 1963. All the other Baby Deltics had been put in store at Stratford, then moved to Doncaster for assessment before being sent for refurbishment. It is thought the rest of the class had been moved from Stratford to Doncaster in March 1963.

Bump!

Edited by Baby Deltic
  • Like 1

Ah! now hear lies some new information. I have it on good authority from David Percival that D5908 was in fact scrapped at G.Cohen at Kettering. Apparently it was sent to Cashmores in error. I await to see pictures appearing of it at Kettering but at least there is photographic evidence of it stabled at Bescot!

According to The Chronicles of Napier website it went to G Cohen on 14/01/1970 and was cut-up on 17/01/1970.

Mark

Re- 5908. My first edition Roger Harris allocation history states:

Wdn 9.3.69. Stored at Hornsey 3.69 - 7.69, to store at Fin Park 7.69 (noted 5.7.69) - 10.69. The loco arrived in Bescot yard 6.10.69 and was noted at the diesel depot on 23.11.69. However, the disposal of this loco has not been ascertained beyond doubt. It was (1) sent to J Cashmore, Great Bridge in 12.69 and noted there being broken up during 2.70 or (2) sent to G Cohen, Kettering for scrap 12.69 and noted in yard 14.1.70 with a quoted cut up date 17.1.70

Said first edition is 1986, the more recent one may be more definitive but whatever, the dates in Harris re- Cohens are fuller than those on Chronicles of Napier.