The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

The Birth of RMWeb?

Mickey

I know it was 2005 but when?

My first time wa on a dark and stormy night in downtown BZ - I thought I recalled that the wicked witch was in the room with me at the time, but Id got rid of her by late '05 (or so I thought......)

This should help you Mickey....

Post #6 gives the dates you want. March 2005, so you were right.

I knew it was there, but just had to use the right search term. There is a small drop down menu in the search bar on the top right of the page. Selecting 'Google Site Search' and BRM forum brought it up immediately.

We've come a long way since then...:)

http://www.rmweb.co....-its-old-forum/

Cheers for that Gordon :)

I thought Id seen summat like that lately, but I have had a lot on my mind last few months and its seems my memory has melted .....

So it must have been more "summery" then I remember,,,,, but then again rain in Kernow is always wet!

As you say, we have come a long way since then, but sometimes to me it seems a loooooong time ago! :)

It certainly does seem a long time ago.

The exact date was 15th March 2005, the anniversary of which is fast approaching. There are some significant new developments which will become live on the 15th as additions and changes to the site.

The * Active Content * link is still on every page, the content is refreshed every time you click on it. It's never automatically refreshed the screen unless it's clicked.

But it was the option to, say, 'Refresh every 2 minutes' which I liked! But that was in a time when you could easily keep track of all posts and read all the threads - doubt doing this would be so easy now!

But it was the option to, say, 'Refresh every 2 minutes' which I liked! But that was in a time when you could easily keep track of all posts and read all the threads - doubt doing this would be so easy now!

If you are using Firefox there is an Addon called "ReloadEvery" that you can use to do this for any open tab - it solves the problem of refreshing any url.

I never forget the post count race between CK and Martin Wales when we were on rmweb1. They lost their post tally when rmweb 1 shut down. Then with rmweb 2 they were off out of the starting gate pretty quick and up to several thousand posts before getting zero'd again :lol:. Some members got through the rmweb 3-4 transition unscathed, but others like myself had to re-join.:unsure:

• RMweb Gold

I never forget the post count race between CK and Martin Wales when we were on rmweb1. They lost their post tally when rmweb 1 shut down. Then with rmweb 2 they were off out of the starting gate pretty quick and up to several thousand posts before getting zero'd again :lol:.

Indeed - nothing quite so unseemly as a 'competitive contest', you understand, but just a bit leisurely sport amongst gentlemen... :lol:

Guest dilbert

Or our dearly deceased members 'Wickets' and 'The Grim Reaper'. Gone but by no means forgotten.:(

111 - I hope that Alan is having a good laugh from upstairs at the various antics in real life... and not forgetting 'Gary' and the sheep saga - oh, just remembered the plabels saga and a certain forum admin's avatar whose head was lost in the darkness... dilbert

The Blue Pullman, which seemed to be just about everywhere... and in any conversation regardless of relevance or lack of.

Also before CK and Martin Wales had their post count race, FC (Fat Controller) and I had one... I think FC and I were on version 1/1.5, and CK and Martin Wales were 1.5+.

• RMweb Gold

I never forget the great parsnip outrage at Ally Pally when CK got ambushed.;)

Quite just what was the CK parsnip thing all about? I was new at the time and can't remember!:P

I certainly remember the ambush!;)

• RMweb Premium

I was there too, I think when I joined up, there were about 350/400 of us, and some of the banter then made what we do now seem positively gentle - beware the Fat Controller was one thing that we all did - and there was also a good guessing game about his identity - it was clearly known to some of us, but by no means all. I think we finally decided he was Cyril Freezer in disguise! :lol:

Also, as there were so few of us, the post count mounted at a level which meant that we could keep an eye on things - unlike today with over 11,000 members and so many posts and photos that keeping up with the site is a full time job. I've no idea how Andy manages - I suspect that in his wildest dreams he never imagined that the forum would become so big, interesting, or influential.

Stewart

• RMweb Premium

Then there was the first Members' Day that I helped organise at Mickleover Community Centre (Derby) in July 2007 which for most members was the first opportunity to actually meet with others face to face. Several travelled quite some distance to be there that day, Captain Kernow, Simon and others from Devon and Somerset, Pudley Wonderer and Sunshine Coast from Sussex and many others that I have forgotten. One visitor that no one can forget was a chap called Andy York as he was the reason we were all there. :lol:

This first event then led to the Chasewater events, CK and friends organising their Taunton event, and we were at Mickleover again last year when there were only about a dozen visitors :( (why was that??)

Looking forward to the next meeting

Mike

Archived