The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

The Birth of RMWeb?

Mickey

It certainly does seem a long time ago.

The exact date was 15th March 2005, the anniversary of which is fast approaching. There are some significant new developments which will become live on the 15th as additions and changes to the site.

I do hope we dont have to re-join when these changes take place. The last time it wouldn't accept me signing in, so re-joined.

• RMweb Gold

I must have stumbled onto here fairly early on, having seen references on BRM forum. It took me a long time to register as I felt I didn't have much to contribute (probably still don't TBH!) but I always felt there was an underlying openness & friendliness to the place - down to Andy Y's "walking quietly with a big stick" approach I feel! Having met the people behind the avatars a few times I could confim my feelings too. Now we are all waiting on Andy's next big move - we can't accuse this site of inertia (unlike the previously named place which faded to obscurity....)

I know some folks have left under a bit of a cloud ;) but some just seem to have drifted off despite seemingly being fully involved & having very active threads going - I do wonder what happened to "Rextanka" from the USA who was doing a P4 layout based on North Devon, with an Iain Rice plan & intending to bring it to the UK on a commercial flight.... Or "schehallion" (I think) who had a lovely looking version of Bodmin Road but never made the move onto the current version of the forum. Seems a shame to loose such interesting & informative threads into the background.

...and I'm still grumpy about the Mod who lost part of the Single Line Terminus thread where I coined the "SLT" acronym - my only claim to originality lost....:P

but some just seem to have drifted off despite seemingly being fully involved & having very active threads going - I do wonder what happened to "Rextanka" from the USA who was doing a P4 layout based on North Devon, with an Iain Rice plan & intending to bring it to the UK on a commercial flight.... Or "schehallion" (I think) who had a lovely looking version of Bodmin Road but never made the move onto the current version of the forum. Seems a shame to loose such interesting & informative threads into the background.

...and I'm still grumpy about the Mod who lost part of the Single Line Terminus thread where I coined the "SLT" acronym - my only claim to originality lost....:P

I to wonder what happen to Rextanka and Ninja who had great layouts Bodmun road I think was Fatadder

• RMweb Premium

I remember joining an early incarnation of RMWeb some time in either 2006 or early 2007. I always reckoned I must have been a jinx as about twenty minutes after I signed up the server crashed and it was three weeks or so before it came back!!

• RMweb Gold

I too wonder what happen to Rextanka and Ninja who had great layouts Bodmun road I think was Fatadder

Rich (Fatadder) was planning a P4 version of Bodmin General (ie the preserved station) as if it was still part of the National network - he decided on something else in the end (and has been busy with work recently). The Bodmin Road layout was 2mm & was planned using a big blow up of Google map images! I had difficultly finding it recently, think the thread title was not Bodmin just to confuse things!

Speaking of being busy elsewhere, Captian K has been comparitively quiet recently.....

• RMweb Gold

I was really looking forward to watching Rextanka's progress, what was posted promised something of a very high standard.(also gave a very rose tinted version of affairs to the west of Barnstaple, which I liked), Hope it did get built.

I think one of the reasons the BRM forum died was one of the reasons why RMWeb was so successful is a real sense of an independent community and above all pictures - lots of them.

RMweb wasn't mainstream and I think I miss that now - RMweb's very much part of the stablishment, especially with reps from the larger manufacturers on it.

• RMweb Premium

I was, of course, there and still think that the biggest outrage was running a Class 22 on an east London layout ;) .

We've come a long way since "then" and now and then I still think of those who are no longer with us ("111" in particular comes to mind, a real gentleman, sadly missed).

RMweb wasn't mainstream and I think I miss that now -

There's always FRMW, which I believe once positioned itself for those with such laments.

... some of the banter then made what we do now seem positively gentle - beware the Fat Controller was one thing that we all did - and there was also a good guessing game about his identity - it was clearly known to some of us, but by no means all.

Ah, FC. Managed to catch just one broadside from him IIRC, in an unguarded moment; I'd love to see what he'd make of some of today's prima donnaswink.gif

There's always FRMW, which I believe once positioned itself for those with such laments.

There's nothing wrong with something that provides an alternative - that's why Nellies is still in business!

• RMweb Gold

I remember finding the original one around Nov 2005 I think - I lurked then joined the second version, one of the funnier things I remember was the pic of the various lorry mounted cranes falling into the harbour in an anology of the various versions of site/servers etc.

Oh and of course the parsnips :lol:

I had a look at that, then when I tried to sign up my IP address was banned... so I'm guessing they don't want any new members.

I remember finding the original one around Nov 2005 I think - I lurked then joined the second version, one of the funnier things I remember was the pic of the various lorry mounted cranes falling into the harbour in an anology of the various versions of site/servers etc.

Oh and of course the parsnips :lol:

heres were the pics came for on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6w8R--CQ3Q&feature=related

Archived