Try talking to Chris Gibbon at High Level. He's very knowledgeable about these motors and will dispense good, solid, sound advice willingly.

Because of that, I use almost exclusively Mashima 1020 motors (I don't build big engines, only small 0-6-0 goods locos, industrials etc.) - they're powerful, controllable and will fit in just about anything. I do have a 1015, but I was advised that it's worth trying not to use that motor unless I'm really stuck as it's nowhere near as good as a 1020.

Hope that helps.

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

heres the very nearly finished sentinel complete with all its castings.

post-8628-0-82363800-1384641063_thumb.jpg

Ironically im only 5 mins away everyday at the moment from the one at foxfield!

Also to be released in 4mm scale is those buffers from the sentinel which are also suitable for some bagnalls and rustons with short shanks and rectangular bases.

Also is SR stepped buffers, not LNER which people like to say are both the same which are definitely not! these will included with the SR class N/N1 footplate when finally finished.

in 009 gauge will see the dinorwic slate wagons

these will be added to the website after warley.

Hopefully i'll see you there next weekend on stand D19.

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

That Sentinel looks brilliant Robert and captures the prototype well.

When they're released one will be winging it's way to Juniper Hill I believe.  ;)

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by 46444
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well, etches and castings in stock, just awaiting all the other parts to arrive and to do the instructions also. Might well be warley minus instructions as I won't have time with working away currently before warley.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Robert,

Where is the preserverd RW wagon that appears in the photos in the instructions? What number is it?

Thanks,

Jon

Hi Jon,

Sadly in my photos the numbers are too worn to read well so just checked a list that ive got of preserved LT wagons and the 2 examples i measured and photograph are RW481 and 484 both based on the Gloucester and warickshireshire railway.

Hope this helps.

• RMweb Gold

One 2mm wagon and a Dinorwic Quarry slate wagon (the latter a very nice bit of pattern making indeed)...

Adam

Some people thought the 2mm scale hudson tipper wagon was 4mm scale Narrow gauge at the show.

Thankyou about the comment on the pattern making Adam, wasn't easy just like those Sentinel axlebox and spring units!

Sadly (or gladly!) the sentinel sold out completely over the weekend so got to re-stock it now.

Edited by RThompson
  • Like 3

Hi Robert,

There used to be a very good appraisal of Mashima motors on here by Geoff Baxter, Mr Hollywood Foundry.  I searched for it recently and couldn't find it, so if anyone else knows where it is?

One of his major conclusions was that the 12 series are very poor and you're better off using a 10 series unless you have the room for a 14.  His BullAnts come with a 10 series and both mine will pull houses down.  I just thought I'd throw that in in case using a 10 series makes it easier for you.

Cant find the thread either.

This gives some info

http://www.hollywoodfoundry.com/mashima.htm

• 3 weeks later...

OK may not be into the 12 days of Christmas but...

6 days before Christmas

RT Models sent to me...

5 nice clean sets of castings

5 matching sets of etchings

1 clear set of instructions

And I'm as happy as can be...

B****r the next few days, I'm off to the workbench

Many Thanks Mr RT

Graham Woodruff

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

The sentinel is now available to purchase from the website.

The loco buffers have been added.

I would like to thankyou all for your custom and friendship.

Hope you all have a merry christmas and a happy new year.

• Like 4

• 5 weeks later...

I've just completed my RT Models Sentinel which I picked up from Robert at Warley. I'll be adding some build notes, either in one of my existing threads or maybe a new one, but here are some images for Roberts own thread.

Firstly, pretty much complete, awaiting weathering and final details;

post-6861-0-74577300-1390513447_thumb.jpg

Weathered and caught taking a break at Lancashire Iron & Steels Barton Hall Works.

post-6861-0-97334700-1390513486_thumb.jpg

At work with one of Roberts section rolls on a scratch built internal user wagon.

post-6861-0-36816700-1390513525_thumb.jpg

A nice kit, highly recommended.

Edited by Arthur
  • Like 18

Thanks Adam.

The transfers were made up for me by John Peck at Precision Decals. I do the artwork with Serif PagePlus software (which John recommended), email the PDF to John, and he prints them off. Very reasonable cost and unbelievably quick service.

John advises me on how to prepare the artwork and is generally very helpful. The decals do have a carrier film but once settled down with Solvaset they look painted on. John prints legible text at 2 pt (that's the smallest I've tried) and on the Sentinel there's a black drop shadow and I've some of that on text down to 3 pt.

Thanks. It reminds me that an update on the progress of my 200hp version based on the CSP kit is about due. EDIT: here it is - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/67087-a-post-war-200hp-steam-sentinel-in-em-raising-the-roof/?p=1317381  With a week off coming up, I may even get the thing finished...

A small hang up with mine about the paint job though; those self-contained buffers didn't have the chromed stocks to the buffer heads so should not be shiny - as the Airfix/Kitmaster instructions used to suggest - but a browny, grungy sort of a colour. OLEOs and some of the other hydraulic types did but these were not fitted by Sentinel so far as I am aware. A really nice paint finish otherwise.

Adam

Edited by Adam

Thanks Robert.

I'm very pleased with the final result myself.

Adam, thanks for the info on the buffers, I've been looking at photos of the Tennants fleet and, though some of the shanks are painted red, along with the buffer heads, it's clear that you're correct about the greasy brown colour. I shall attend to it tomorrow!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Is the Hudson tipper designed to tip? If not, can it be made to tip?

It's like the real thing in that the tipper isn't permanently fixed although most people wil need to do so. So yes, it will tip but if you want to make it operate fully prototypically, you'll need to work out some sort of latch to hold it in place.

Adam