• RMweb Gold

Hold your horses, Horsetan, I need to get the N footplate done first, it's been that long in the making!

I should have a card mock up to view at EM North and Scaleforum.

On the subject of the 2 shows which there is no reason to do a disappearing act again at the latter! Heres a list of new products due to be released.

All in 4mm scale,

Industrial flameproof headlights as fitted to many industrial diesels and mining locos.

BR MK1 and 2 coach buffers in extended position.

Austerity/J94 sandbox lids

Brakevan rear and side lamps, as much I would like to say they are SR and br design, ive come across these on LMS era brake vans so maybe these are a RCH design?

Sentinel 18" buffers

Manning wardle tapered buffers as used in my mw kits

Also to be released at the shows is the sentinel 100HP heavy BE, these will retail for £100.

If anyone is interested in reserving one, please let me know off group.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hello everyone

Heres the photos of the completed 4mm scale, pre war 100hp sentinel steam loco kit. £100.00 which includes wheels, all wheel drive gearbox, motor, pickups.

Note also it has spectacle rims that can be positioned open as one has been done on this model on the right!

Once again, if you are interested in purchaseing one at the shows, please let me know off group to reserve one for you.

rt%20models%20pre%20war%20sentinel%201.j

rt%20models%20pre%20war%20sentinel%202.j

rt%20models%20pre%20war%20sentinel%203.j

Lots of other new releases for mainline, light railway and industrial modellers over september in 4mm scale, come by to see whats new and have a chat. Too much to list of which the website will only be updated after EM North the soonest.

Edited by RThompson
  • Like 10

Hi Arthur, Yes I will be at warley. Forgot to mention that does relate to you, both the small and large ingot moulds are now cast with no seems in a new one piece mould offering virtually flawless castings.

Well done, Robert; my dad's former colleagues at Landore struggled to make virtually flawless castings..

For those that think such things might be confined to steelworks and foundries, Landore and its sister plant at Dowlais sent them far and wide. The sheet plate mills at Ravenscraig and Llanwern took the biggest (one per 80t Flatrol WBB), then Scunthorpe took middle-sized ones (2 per Warflat), whilst small ones went on on Plates, and later in converted Iron Ore Tipplers to many other locations. Damaged moulds were returned for re-melting in tipplers, minerals and plate wagons.

• Like 1

I've posted this before but it sits right in here,

post-6861-0-91848300-1410116013.jpg

Clearly posed, a 100hp Sentinel gets a lot of attention at British Tar Distillers Works, at Cadishead, Irlam. Bachmann have a tank wagon set in their livery.

Behind the loco is the Manchester Ship Canal and the Ship Canal Company's main line between Salford and Warrington. The bridge carries the Glazebrook-Skelton Junction main line over the canal and on the other side of the embankment was the Partington Coaling Basin and Irlam steelworks.

The tar distillery is left foreground in these photos;

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/56808-the-clc-through-stockport/?p=705646

By quirk of fate, in the early hours of this morning I was returning from a family engagement in Manchester and drove along the new(ish) bypass built roughly on the route of the old MSC's mainline, and which passes under one of the arches in the background, right by where the Sentinel was photographed.

Edited by Arthur
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Hi All,

the website has now been updated with all new releases added.

On the 4mm scale, standard gauge locomotive detailing section i have now arranged the parts into sub headings to find them more easily.

I'll be attending scaleforum at the end of the september so hope to see you there next to Parkside Dundas.

After Scaleforum I may go quiet for a while on RM Web as i'll be putting my head down to try and clear all current projects including a couple of new ones, all in 4mm scale for release at Warley hopefully.

I may even do some model making for myself in this time?

Edited by RThompson
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I've posted this before but it sits right in here,

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Clearly posed, a 100hp Sentinel gets a lot of attention at British Tar Distillers Works, at Cadishead, Irlam. Bachmann have a tank wagon set in their livery.

Behind the loco is the Manchester Ship Canal and the Ship Canal Company's main line between Salford and Warrington. The bridge carries the Glazebrook-Skelton Junction main line over the canal and on the other side of the embankment was the Partington Coaling Basin and Irlam steelworks.

The tar distillery is left foreground in these photos;

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/56808-the-clc-through-stockport/?p=705646

By quirk of fate, in the early hours of this morning I was returning from a family engagement in Manchester and drove along the new(ish) bypass built roughly on the route of the old MSC's mainline, and which passes under one of the arches in the background, right by where the Sentinel was photographed.

This, presumably, is the one semi preseved, semi derelict, on the side of the A57 heading out towards Warrington?

Mike.

Hi Mike,

No, the 'preserved' loco in Irlam is this;

http://www.irsociety.co.uk/Archives/5+6/solo_from_peckett.htm

And if I refer back again to these images,

the soap works is the white building, and it's surroundings, in the background just above the steelworks.

There's some more about the Peckett and soap works railway part way down this page,

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/compositekermit/Railways/The%2520Industries%2520of%2520Irlam%2520and%2520Cadishead%2520(with%2520rail%2520connections).htm

including photos of it now.

The Co-Op presented it to Irlam council and, stripped of it's boiler cladding and fittings, and painted in rainbow hues, it sat in a playground at the side of the old A57 in Irlam.

The route of the A57 was then shifted south such that it runs along the north bank of the ship canal, through the old steelworks and coaling basin, to rejoin the old route at Hollins Green. The loco now sits adjacent to the 'new' A57, just on the other side of the bridge featured in the photograph of the Sentinel in post 409. I guess that's where you've seen it.

Edited by Arthur

Robert, any chance of you producing a 7mm version of your post - war 100HP Sentinel? Having read the MRJ review of your 4mm kit I'd very much like one and I'm sure others would too.

Just as an aside the British Tar Distillers loco S 7232/27 'Ann' (nice picture BTW) is still around and in store at Embsay. Ray.

Hi Ray,

there is a gladiator models 7mm scale kit of the post war sentinel which has a resin body which someone on rm web has built.

Here, in fact: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/69583-post-war-type-100hp-sentinel/

The less said about the chassis, cab and particularly the grills etched thereon, the better. The resin element and metal castings seem ok though!

Adam

Edited by Adam

There is a problem with the URL quoted above. This one works http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/compositekermit/Railways/The%20Industries%20of%20Irlam%20and%20Cadishead%20(with%20rail%20connections).htm .

It's my intention to buy the kit of the 100hp Sentinel at Scaleforum.

Regards

Edited by PenrithBeacon

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hello everyone,

Just a quick note that I will be taking reservations for warley exhibition for the next 2 4mm scale loco kits planned for release there should the test builds go ok.

Streamlined 100hp sentinel

dsc_1687.jpg

Thomas hill vanguard rebuild

dsc_0559.jpg

Also a reworking of the j94/austerity 0-6-0st which for me is now on one sheet rather than several which some improvements have been made to the inside valve gear, gaps the tops of the hornblock guides.

Edited by RThompson
  • Like 4

I don't understand the point of streamlining a Sentinel. It's not as though the steam would get in the drivers eyes at speed, like on an A4.

It does look pretty, though - hurry up and release the kit, please, Robert.

Phil

I don't understand the point of streamlining a Sentinel. It's not as though the steam would get in the drivers eyes at speed, like on an A4.

Phil

I have a feeling it might have been an attempt to modernise the look of the locomotives

• RMweb Gold

It does look pretty, though - hurry up and release the kit, please, Robert.

Phil

Back in the Thirties and forties, Streamlining was a general fad not restricted to the LNER or any other railway. 

I have seen old adverts for "Streamlined" irons, kettles, sewing machines and quite possibly lawn mowers!

John  

That pre-war sentinel looks lovely. I'm so tempted to purchase one as the former Cadbury's shunter from Keynsham is preparing to make a return to steam just down the road at Bitton!

[Pedantic mode] Isn't that the Frys one, not the Cadburys one? I didn't think Cadburys had a Sentinel [/Pedantic mode]

I agree, I might purchase one on that basis as well. It's a wonderful little survivor. Though if only it could be chocolate fired.....imagine the lovely smell!