.... including the option of a N1, might as well.

New cab front for that, which would also assist the new-build "U" and the "U1".

Mainly Trains also does a detail etch for the "N", so put that and your footplate together, and the potential's there for a real belter of a Mogul. :locomotive:

• RMweb Premium

Let's not forget that the N1, N, U and U1 were only similar in their boilers, pony wheels and the tender types. The cabs, boiler pitches, driving wheel diameters and coupled wheel spacings differed. Oh and there were two main sorts of U - the rebuilt Rivers and the moguls from new.

All the moguls look similar but the devil is in the detail unfortunately. Suffice to say that my kit built U1 looks very different to the Bachmann N. I did try and convert an N to a U1 but abandoned the project as, despite putting on larger driving wheels and raising the footplate (inc the slab front) and boiler pitch, it really didn't look right. The wheel spacing was wrong.

I would however welcome an etch that does the re-framed Ns correctly. You've done a halfway house by doing the curved frame fronts BUT the replacement frames were actually longer at the front, making the loco longer overall. This can be seen in that the curve of the new front frame tops is gentler (due to a longer length) than the current replacement parts. The current kit is good though for those not that troubled about a few extra inches;-)

I'd also welcome castings for the 3 different chimney types carried by the Ns - many of the re-framed locos got Std 4 chimneys but those currently available from other suppliers don't quite look right for some reason.

PS I've currently got one of the Mainly Trains detailing etches underway - it's a good detailing starting point, the deflectors alone are a big improvement.

Carry on the good work....

Edited by 2ManySpams

Let's not forget that the N1, N, U and U1 were only similar in their boilers, pony wheels and the tender types. The cabs, boiler pitches, driving wheel diameters and coupled wheel spacings differed. Oh and there were two main sorts of U - the rebuilt Rivers and the moguls from new.

All the moguls look similar but the devil is in the detail unfortunately. .....

For the new-build "U"/"U1" chassis, SEF provides a full etched chassis (FC105U) designed by the late Alistair Rolfe. You may also be able to adapt their "River" etched chassis for the rebuilt Rivers.

There is also a full "N" chassis fret (F105N) from SEF, so don't be afraid to adapt.

SEF also make a point of offering just about every single detail casting from their kits as spares.

• Like 1

Guest Max Stafford

Just a quickie in case I'd missed them. Are the drain cock pipes for the East Coast Pacifics available yet? I could use some for some of my Peppercorn A1s.

Cheers, Dave.

• RMweb Gold

Good evening everyone.

To put aside alot of speculation and doubt.

I'm now ready to announce that the Albert Goodall range of mostly 4mm scale Bulleid pacific detailing parts has been acquired by myself.

The whole range won't appear as yet as there is alot to sort out so it could be a few months before anything is released again.

Shirley Goodall and friend Jim Corbett have both retired from attending exhibitions with Alberts stand which i'm sure you will wish them both a happy retirement and a big thankyou to them for carrying on Alberts range for all this time.

I knew Albert when i was very young which he passed away 10 years ago when i was 16 and he is one of the people that encouraged me to do pattern making as he gave me a drawing for the Giesl Ejector chimney which i made the pattern for and was going to lend to him but it wasn't to be and it has sat with me only till a few years ago when i decided to take the plunge into manufacturing and designing kits myself.

Whilst almost everything will be re-introduced, some parts will be upgraded or replaced as well addding a few more items to the range, this will also see the current parts i do myself moving over to the Albert Goodall pages shortly which i will be keeping his name on the website pages with his nameplate displayed on them.

• Like 7

.....I'm now ready to announce that the Albert Goodall range of mostly 4mm scale Bulleid pacific detailing parts has been acquired by myself.

There is indeed a God.

The whole range won't appear as yet as there is alot to sort out so it could be a few months before anything is released again.

There are quite a lot of moulds! Do you want a copy of the last edition list to assist, as I've still got mine.

Shirley Goodall and friend Jim Corbett have both retired from attending exhibitions with Alberts stand which i'm sure you will wish them both a happy retirement and a big thankyou to them for carrying on Alberts range for all this time.

I'm going to miss Shirley. She always had a ready smile.

I knew Albert when i was very young which he passed away 10 years ago when i was 16 and he is one of the people that encouraged me to do pattern making as he gave me a drawing for the Giesl Ejector chimney which i made the pattern for and was going to lend to him but it wasn't to be and it has sat with me only till a few years ago when i decided to take the plunge into manufacturing and designing kits myself.

Whilst almost everything will be re-introduced, some parts will be upgraded or replaced as well addding a few more items to the range, this will also see the current parts i do myself moving over to the Albert Goodall pages shortly which i will be keeping his name on the website pages with his nameplate displayed on them.

If you need copies of Albert's printed and handwritten notes relating to some of his parts, I have some I could give you.

..... i'm also glad Alberts range is saved.

There's still a lot of potential for those castings, many of which have stood the test of time, and I like the idea of having a "top class" option by having some of them in lost-wax/cast brass.

• RMweb Premium

I think the main commercially viable improvements / alterations to the Hornby (china) airsmoothed WC / BoB spam could be....

Drain cocks - done

Front steps - done

Giesel (sp?) chimney - done?

Long smoke deflectors in brass (for Bude etc)

Rear bogie / ashpan - improve Albert's bits to directly fit the RTR version

Replacement piping for under the cab side on the RHS (Hornby version is malformed due to bogie swing)

Original flat fronted cab etch

Top for the hybrid 5250gal tender that a few got towards the end

Some bits and bobs to help model some of the body hatches and panels open - etched covers with white metal bits to stick on the inside?

Other than that, for most folk, that might be the limit of the minor - medium extreme detailing.

But, if you're feeling really adventurous.... there were a couple of very interesting smoke deflector trials which modified the front ends.

Edited by 2ManySpams

I think the main commercially viable improvements / alterations to the Hornby (china) airsmoothed WC / BoB spam could be....

....Giesl chimney - done?

Available from RT and I think there was one produced by Steph Dale (although memory suggests this was for the BR 9F rather than the Light Pacific). I have a very early brass casting from Crownline days which was intended for a model of "City of Wells", a Crownline kit which I still haven't quite finished, 20 years after I started it. So many methods of chassis suspension have come to the fore in those two decades that I can see I'll have to strip the whole thing down and start all over again.

Long smoke deflectors in brass (for Bude etc)

Previously produced by Crownline (and may have passed to DMR), but distinctly remember that Albert Goodall did offer them as well; maybe they were his work to start with!

Rear bogie / ashpan - improve Albert's bits to directly fit the RTR version

IIRC, Albert actually did produce castings specifically for the new Hornby version, as well as a set for the Hornby "MN".

Top for the hybrid 5250gal tender that a few got towards the end

This was in Albert's list under the "Railway King" label. It was meant to fit the underframes of the HD/Wrenn tender.

.... there were a couple of very interesting smoke deflector trials which modified the front ends.

....and were totally useless :stinker:

Edited by Horsetan

• RMweb Gold

Good evening everyone,

now that the extra work is over from my full time job, (spoke too soon!) i can start to do some more work again on designing kits.

Heres photos of some test etches done a while ago.

First in 4mm scale 00/EM/P4 a small detailing etch to upgrade the ladders, walkways and handwheels on the Airfix/Dapol 35T class B tank wagon kit.

post-8628-0-72980900-1333491241.jpgpost-8628-0-58645600-1333491245.jpg

post-8628-0-91525900-1333491248.jpg

And for my 4mm scale narrowgauge people in 009 gauge

Scale model of the Dinorwic Car Cryn which replaces the former Bal Models version that was in the range.

This will be released on the website tomorrow night hopefully.

post-8628-0-97793600-1333491235_thumb.jpg

And to go with it, a dinorwic slate rubbish wagon.

post-8628-0-59600500-1333491252.jpg

From a quick assembly last night, it seems to go together well so we will see, certainly alot easier to build than the original version i did some 6 to 9 months ago, hard to believe it was that long that i did a test etch for this!

I have been reading through many of your comments on bulleid detailing parts and have taken note as well as some ideas of my own.

Anyway, i'm off to bed as i've got another long day tommorow and welcome your comments as usual.

Edited by RThompson
  • Like 2

.....Heres photos of some test etches done a while ago.

First in 4mm scale 00/EM/P4 a small detailing etch to upgrade the ladders, walkways and handwheels on the Airfix/Dapol 35T class B tank wagon kit......

That would go very well with the Masokits all-sprung underframe kit for it. Just a thought.

• Like 1