Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Worsdell forever's Workbench - Loads of North Eastern Stuff

Those side cotes look good Paul! I wonder where you got them from? I've still got a few left if you want to do one for me!

Thanks for the Stainsby photo's you took at Middlesbrough. I will get some sets printed shortly. Do you want one?

Cheers.

David

Thanks Jonathan. I have read the first 5 pages of the book but have not got back to it due to a heavy work load. I really like the look of that brake van.. Something I will have to get around too.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Paul, it's 00.

Actually it's not any more, it's now EM, together with the other finished wagons here.

They are all (approximately) wagons shown in the series of photos taken on the Rosedale branch in 1928. The brakevan and the LMS open 151031 are the only ones that I have positively identified but all but the GWR one I think are the correct type (the GWR one has a sheet rail in the photos). The LMS wagon with the smaller lettering is a guess as the lettering is very faint in the photos but it does show the L as being 2 planks high. The NER diagram C10 6 plank is still in the last NER livery.

So, the kits are - LMS pair - Cambrian, GWR - Coopercraft and the NE ones are 51L.

post-7104-0-30455000-1348609893.jpg

post-7104-0-95875300-1348609903.jpg

post-7104-0-35856200-1348609911.jpg

The next wagon is one of the first W/M kits I bought about 20 years ago, it is a D&S kit of a GNR 10t open with a cage extension, I started the cage then moved onto other stuff and it got put away until tonight. I've finished the cage but I probably won't use it as I believe they were pretty restricted in the routes they were used on.

post-7104-0-46218200-1348609878.jpg

post-7104-0-65241900-1348609886.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Change of scale for a bit...

I started this Medley Models 7mm kit for an NER diagram C2 4 plank open a few years ago (I seem to have loads of kits started years ago) and put it aside mainly because it wasn't very good! I've dug it out this week and although it hasn't got any better I wanted to at least make something out of it. The major dimensions are correct and the body is quite good, it's the details that are poor, the axleguards are a work of fiction and the spring/axlebox castings are just naff but I've got it all together and it does look at least a bit like what it should be.

post-7104-0-08434800-1348953931.jpg

Brake gear attached to the floor, this lot was kind of made up as I went along!

post-7104-0-94423200-1348953950.jpg

Pretty much as far as I'm going with it, there's no interior detail but I plan on having it loaded and sheeted. It is seen here next to a Parkside LNER open. It looks tiny but it measures up OK, it is after all a mid 1880's design and amazingly 13 of this type lasted into BR ownership.

post-7104-0-36858800-1348953963.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I've recently started on my next loco, as my 2012 challenge build is now finished the next on the list is a Q6 for Greyscroft Mine. It will be finished as 63340, the first of the class. it was a Middlesbrough engine in 1955 and could well have visited GM on a regular basis, it will share the ironstone traffic with my J26.

I'm building it from an Alexander Models kit but there are a few problems, the cab sides, front and cab steps are missing! a quick phone call to David should have that sorted.

I've got the frames together using Comet EM spacers and last night I made a start fitting the gearbox and wheels.

The painted frames.

post-7104-0-57896000-1349769021.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Wheels, rods and gearbox fitted and it all runs smoothly. The chassis is rigid. The rods are in one piece, this can be a problem with quartering as it needs to be done 'as a whole', but it all worked out ok this time with only about 15 minutes if gentle tweaking.

post-7104-0-09259300-1349785181.jpg

• Like 7

In 4mm I quarter the front two axles then add the next set and so on, this meant it was always the last axle if there was a problem. I know it made it slightly more difficult as to fitting the wheels, but the quartering was a peice of cake.

Looks very good.

Who's wheels do you use? I always liked M Sharmans,

In 4mm I quarter the front two axles then add the next set and so on, this meant it was always the last axle if there was a problem.

The easiest way to quarter is use the GW Models wheel press :)

• RMweb Gold

In 4mm I quarter the front two axles then add the next set and so on, this meant it was always the last axle if there was a problem. I know it made it slightly more difficult as to fitting the wheels, but the quartering was a peice of cake.

Looks very good.

Who's wheels do you use? I always liked M Sharmans,

That's how I do it, they're put on by eye then all but the rear/driven axle are adjusted a pair at a time till the run freely. What makes these a little difficult is that the rods are in one piece so they need to be put on all 4 crank pins at once, it was then a case of adjusting until they dropped on easily then final tweaking to get them smooth.

They're Gibson wheels, readily available, cheap (relative to Markits and Ultrascale), the correct type for the loco and (despite what some people say) very good. As it happens the tender wheels are Sharman, picked up on a second hand stall for £1.50 an axle.

The easiest way to quarter is use the GW Models wheel press :)

Never had a problem just pushing them on and tweaking them. you've seen my locos running and I'm happy with them :sungum:

Progress...

The basic tender and footplate are built and I've had a look at fitting the cylinders, mainly at what clearances there are between the crosshead and the leading crankpin, it's going to be tight but it shoult be workable, the kit was designed for 00.

post-7104-0-69049200-1349824028.jpg

• Like 7

Well Paul the Q6 looks like what it should. Be careful with the cross head... the clearance in P4 is lets just say X rated. If you are thickening up rods to match scale. I couldn't beleive the thickness on the Bradwell kit, the big end is about 1.2mm wide! they some serious lumps nickle silver, then there were brass overlays to the bosses! I must admit that I droped the brass overlays. Still you use a lot of length on a Gibson crank pin.

They are a lovely loco once they are finished!

• Like 1

Never had a problem just pushing them on and tweaking them. you've seen my locos running and I'm happy with them :sungum:

Your locos run very nicely but I'm lazy! And anything which will save me time is more than welcome! :lol:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Clearance on the real thing between slidebars and rods is half an inch.

Big ends (and coupling rods) were wide 1.2mm is only four inches!

ArthurK

Edited by ArthurK

• RMweb Gold

A few photos I've taken over the last few years of the preserved 63395 at Grosmont, 63340 has the same simple variations as the preserved example, the same boiler (dome position) and tender with all round coal rails. 63340 of course won't have vac pipes or vacuum ejector.

post-7104-0-30202200-1349944408.jpg

post-7104-0-98839700-1349944397.jpg

post-7104-0-40644600-1349944403.jpg

post-7104-0-25441200-1349944414_thumb.jpg

• Like 5